Ok, I need a Brake Upgrade....

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2001, 08:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Ok, I need a Brake Upgrade....

Ever since I started driving this car I felt that its braking was one of its weakest points. When my mom/dad/sister drive the car they commented on the weak braking also. Even though it has 11.8in vented ABS rotors in the front and 11.1's in the back it just doesn't feel like it brakes quickly enough. Before I drove this I had driven a 91 Maxima and a 97 Maxima; both had better braking feel and control.

I can't afford to upgrade to Brembos so what is cheap mod for improved braking? I've heard discussion of the Comptech Stainless Steel Brake Lines. What do they do exactly and how much is the install for them? Also, will different brake pads (Axxis?) make a difference? Thanks guys...
Old 07-28-2001, 01:46 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
get the OEM replacement Brembo rotors * slotted * and get some Endless pads

will make a big difference..
Old 07-28-2001, 11:38 AM
Banned

where?
Old 07-28-2001, 03:52 PM
Instructor

the brembo rotors could be found online, i'll try to find someplace that sells it and as for the brake pads it really depends how much you want to spent.

The Endless pads are very costly and if you want them I can get a quote for you ..
Old 07-28-2001, 06:36 PM
Instructor

Re: Ok, I need a Brake Upgrade....

Originally posted by bioyuki
Ever since I started driving this car I felt that its braking was one of its weakest points. When my mom/dad/sister drive the car they commented on the weak braking also. Even though it has 11.8in vented ABS rotors in the front and 11.1's in the back it just doesn't feel like it brakes quickly enough. Before I drove this I had driven a 91 Maxima and a 97 Maxima; both had better braking feel and control.

I can't afford to upgrade to Brembos so what is cheap mod for improved braking? I've heard discussion of the Comptech Stainless Steel Brake Lines. What do they do exactly and how much is the install for them? Also, will different brake pads (Axxis?) make a difference? Thanks guys...

If you are going as far as installing brake lines, you should do a whole brake flush and replace some goodies!

you can goto www.carparts.com . They have tons of brake parts for my LEgend. I am not sure for the TL-S. Their price are very cheap, but in most cases, shipping is much less than comptech.

If I were you, I'd get Stainless steel brake lines, AEM brake pads and performance rotors. Replace the fluid with some 600 degrees boiling point brake fluid.
Old 07-29-2001, 12:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

I second you on the brakes being a weak point! I'm not sure if that or the paint gets #1...

Seems like the brake upgrades are spendy!! If you find a reasonable set up post it, I'm interested.
Old 07-29-2001, 12:13 AM
Banned

As of now I'm considering the Comptech SS Brake Lines and I'm looking for performence brake pads. The SS brake lines aren't too expensive but the install is! I was looking at the ParkAveAcura website and the install is pricey. I still haven't found good brake pads though. I want something that is a good balance between performence braking and something that will last for a while. Any ideas guys?

Oh btw, I posted the slotted vs. crossdrilled rotors question on the CL board and a guy basically said new rotors are only needed if there is brake fade. I've noticed almost no fade but I have noticed a lack in 'bite'/sheer braking power. He recommended SS brake lines and better pads. He also said that cross drilled rotors would actually decrease stock braking performence because it would decrease surface area of the rotors.
Old 07-29-2001, 05:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally posted by bioyuki
As of now I'm considering the Comptech SS Brake Lines and I'm looking for performence brake pads. The SS brake lines aren't too expensive but the install is! I was looking at the ParkAveAcura website and the install is pricey. I still haven't found good brake pads though. I want something that is a good balance between performence braking and something that will last for a while. Any ideas guys?

Oh btw, I posted the slotted vs. crossdrilled rotors question on the CL board and a guy basically said new rotors are only needed if there is brake fade. I've noticed almost no fade but I have noticed a lack in 'bite'/sheer braking power. He recommended SS brake lines and better pads. He also said that cross drilled rotors would actually decrease stock braking performence because it would decrease surface area of the rotors.
That guy knows what hes talking about, unless you upgrade the size of the rotors at the same time, you probably wouldnt notice much of a decrease in braking distances. Although there could be a benefit from the venting of gases that would otherwise be stuck between the pad and rotor. The difference would be negligeable unless you have a fading problem.

SS lines will firm up pedal feel, but wont do anything for braking distances. The only way to do it would be better pads and stickier rubber. I agree the TL-S needs some better brakes, I liked the pedal feel of my Accord better, mayeb I'll do the stainless steel lines to take care of that.
Old 07-30-2001, 11:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'd have to agree... rotors have never done anything except
cause problems for me. They don't add any performace or benefit
for street use and warp easier.

It's all in the pads. SS lines will just improve brake pedal feel.
Old 07-30-2001, 04:04 PM
Pro

Be very carefull w/ SS brake lines, most after market ss brake lines are NOT DOT approved. Some of them are just regular lines with a ss line over it. Also, the life expectancy of ss lines isn't too long. Don't forget, race cars which use ss lines replace the lines at the latest EVERY YEAR.

Personally, I've heard of too many horror stories about ss brake lines to suggest using them.

Axxis pads are pretty good, but you don't want to get pads that are so hard-core that they (1) wear out extremely fast or (2) wear down the rotor.
Old 07-30-2001, 11:07 PM
Banned

Aren't the Comptech ones DOT approved?
Old 08-01-2001, 04:32 PM
Instructor

I currently have at 2000 TL and am toying around the idea of buying TL-S. Next to the HP increase, my desire for the Type S is driven by desire for better brakes. But from reading this forum, it appears that they didn't improve the brakes at all on the Type S.

That sucks... My wifes MDX has fantastic brakes. Why can't the TLs?
Old 08-01-2001, 05:03 PM
tea elle

Originally posted by kilroy
I currently have at 2000 TL and am toying around the idea of buying TL-S. Next to the HP increase, my desire for the Type S is driven by desire for better brakes. But from reading this forum, it appears that they didn't improve the brakes at all on the Type S.

That sucks... My wifes MDX has fantastic brakes. Why can't the TLs?
Wrong. I traded a 2001 for my 2002 Type-S and the brakes are definitely better. Sh!t, to me it feels like practically everything is better on the Type-S. Even the horn sounds better (kidding).