OK guys, help needed... Audi A4 VS TLS

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2002, 11:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kev,

final verdict from me is...if this car u r getting is just for fun, short term driving and getting rid of after 2-3 yrs..then get the audi...

for long term, over 3 yrs, reliability.. I'd get TL-S.

believe me...audi still has more major electrical problems just like bimmers do. so if u plan to keep the car long...get japanese made cars. They r known for reliability overall. Looks and performance don't help a lot if u kept getting stranded at the roadside.

I would recommend doing a thorough research of the two cars before making a final decision. And ask family/friends who have these cars... I have friends who own acura cars for 8-10 yrs with no problems...haven't seen a friend who own audi for more than 5 yrs.

city
Old 03-12-2002, 12:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Hey Kev, you may want to check out this site http://www.myaudittsucks.com ... yuck! who would want to own something like this?
Old 03-12-2002, 01:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by thejavagod
Hey Kev, you may want to check out this site http://www.myaudittsucks.com ... yuck! who would want to own something like this?
Dang, I feel for that guy.......
Old 03-12-2002, 03:59 AM
The New 3 Series Coupe

you have some great taste! A4 is a great car!... .... So is TL.
Old 03-12-2002, 09:12 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RS6 is gonna be nasty!

Beiruty, I'm with you on the RS6. That car sounds like a monster too bad it will cost quite a bit!

I agree that you should go check both and hopefully they do give you the A4 for the weekend, or even a day. Audi's are nice cars. I know they had issues in the past but over the past few years they seem to have been rock solid. I never test drove one but I didn't need to because I was sold on the TLS. I will say that my buddy's audi can take turns at like 60-65 mph (like on a big rotary) and his car sticks to the road. That quattro is pretty nasty. Not sure I want to see if the TLS can do it although I have had no problem on the same rotary doing about 45

Also, who cares if the TLS tires suck, get new ones! I will eventually.

Finally for me, I wanted a decently sized car with enough power to put a smile on my face and handles very well. Like someone else said I did not buy my car for the autobahn or for rally racing. The TLS has power, handles extremely well for a FWD (pretty good/decent in general - even 1Sicklex I think would agree), is practical, has plenty of space (trunk and cabin) and in my opinion is a very sharp looking car. All this at a very good price.
Old 03-12-2002, 11:53 AM
Instructor

I could give a **** about what some little, snot-nosed punk riding Mommy and Daddy's coattails thinks about my TL-S. He is spending his every last cent for an image - loser - or his parents bought him the car. Blowhards that only care about image are pretenders anyway. Too many wannabe, fake, rich-acting (but really poor) people in 'some parts' of LA. Same **** as in South Florida. South Floridians though are not as fake though from my experiences; many are transplanted East Coaster's who are real people.

Once again, if you need the image (and that is a big reason for many buying Audis) that Audi provides for you, than run out and get one. Many of you Audi lovers that need the image. I'll take my Old Navy jeans (TL-S) and you can buy bascially the SAME denim Armani jeans (A4) and I will save the difference.

To each his own. Some nenver graduated from the High School mentality of 'image'. So sad, so pathectic...
Old 03-12-2002, 12:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MB-telecom
I could give a **** about what some little, snot-nosed punk riding Mommy and Daddy's coattails thinks about my TL-S. He is spending his every last cent for an image - loser - or his parents bought him the car. Blowhards that only care about image are pretenders anyway. Too many wannabe, fake, rich-acting (but really poor) people in 'some parts' of LA. Same **** as in South Florida. South Floridians though are not as fake though from my experiences; many are transplanted East Coaster's who are real people.

Once again, if you need the image (and that is a big reason for many buying Audis) that Audi provides for you, than run out and get one. Many of you Audi lovers that need the image. I'll take my Old Navy jeans (TL-S) and you can buy bascially the SAME denim Armani jeans (A4) and I will save the difference.

To each his own. Some nenver graduated from the High School mentality of 'image'. So sad, so pathectic...
Old 03-12-2002, 01:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 84 Posts
I agree with you in principle, but not in your esteem for Audi. I would say Acura is more like Banana Republic jeans (not Old Navy)--pricier than the mainstream, but classier, more durable, and more rare. There is no huge patch on the back bragging about a brand name. Old Navy is more like Honda.

Audi is like some no-name brand of jeans trying to sell them for huge amounts of money by putting a big patch on it, but the brand recognition/esteem just isn't there. Sure, people pay hundreds of dollars for Diesel or Versace jeans, because those brands have a perceived value (in the snob appeal). Maybe BMW, Mercedes, and especially Rolls-Royce and Bentley fall into that category. But Audi is just a wanna-be, charging the big bucks without the requisite benefit! Would you pay $400 for a pair of Levi's?
Old 03-12-2002, 01:44 PM
Drifting

I always thought people looking for an image buy BMW.

Take the X5 for example. Less cargo room than a WRX wagon
Old 03-12-2002, 04:21 PM
Instructor

[QUOTE][i]

i look @ acura as more as sean jean & audi as bannana republic
i prefer japs cars over german cars anyday(except for m.benzs)
Old 03-12-2002, 05:33 PM

Okay, when does this thread die?
Old 03-12-2002, 11:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Okay, when does this thread die?
You of all people should no it won't die unless the thread is closed. This Japanese vs. German or Acura vs. Lexus never seems to end. I think it's a all his own on what he wants to drive and what he likes.
Old 03-13-2002, 06:53 AM
Drifting

I don't really care if a car is Japanese or German.

If the right features are available at the right price and it looks good, I will buy it.

It's a great time to be a car enthusiast because the Germans are getting more reliable, and the Japanese are getting more sporty and the lines are blurring.

All the more choice for us consumers

The A4 and TLS are completely different cars with different priorities. To choose one or the other based on image is just silly.

Old 03-13-2002, 08:29 AM
Advanced

good point hemants, I just want the best car for my hard earned dollar.. one that I know will be sporty, but also luxurious when I want to take the wife out for a nice night out... also one I can feel assured that she is safe in...

Whether it's an AUDI, PEUGEOT, CHEVROLET OR BUICK (okay, maybe not a Buick).. I could careless.. I just want a great car that I can pamper and drive the heck out of!
Old 03-13-2002, 08:49 AM
Drifting

Drive both and you will probably know right there and then.

A4 -

more fun
better grip
all weather handling
smaller
basically a track ready car

TLS

more powerful (and that's fun in itself)
nose heavy
more comfortable ride
quieter on the highway
larger back seat and trunk
lower long term ownership costs
Old 03-13-2002, 10:25 PM
Burning Brakes

This is worse than arguing about politics or religion. You'll never be able to change someone's opinion about their or anyone else's car.
Old 03-14-2002, 12:26 AM
A-SPEC

What's wrong with being a retarded person?
Old 03-14-2002, 11:04 AM
Instructor

thejavagod -

Ok, you are full of ****. The Audi A4 Quattro w/all of the options you selected prices out at $35,192; that is the invoice price too. I am soooo sure that the Audi dealer is hurting so badly that their salesman will make jack **** off the transaction to do you a favor.

The dealer will also only make $208 off the transaction! There is NO dealer holdback for Audi, which makes it impossible for the dealer to sell you the car at the price you quoted. Hell the whole process of selling you the car would actually 'net' the dealer a lossl. I wish I was a master negotiator like you. Hell you are probably the next Anthony Robbins only still yet undisovered!

People, look at this guy's sloppy math. MSRP for the car with the options he has selected is $38,885. You will never get an Audi period (unless it is demo or a leftover) for anywhere even close to $800 of invoice. If this was/is the case, then the dealer would take a loss. Also Audi not having any dealer holdback is a HUGE factor as to why they really just don't negotiate hardly anything off the MSRP.
Old 03-15-2002, 10:58 AM
Racer

A4 3.0 over TL-S anytime:p
Old 03-15-2002, 11:54 AM
Burning Brakes

thejavagod -

factor as to why they really just don't negotiate hardly anything off the MSRP.
Sorry dude, you are just clueless You better smarten up real soon otherwise someone is going to rip you off real bad.

For your reference anyways:
Old 03-15-2002, 12:21 PM
Drifting

A picture is worth a thousand words

Now go drive both and decide for yourself which you like better!

Old 04-01-2002, 04:40 PM
Advanced

Audi is definently out.. way to small.. not bad, but NOT for me.
Old 04-03-2002, 09:37 PM
Instructor

The A4 is definitely awesome... I would have gotten it if the 3.0 + navi wasn't out of my price range.

But anyways the TL-S is a solid car. I have 11K miles on it and besides my possessed windshield wipers have had no problems. I don't know if people on this site just dog their cars or if I just got lucky, but I have had no squeaks, rattles, tranny failures, etc.