Oil Jet Kit Price?...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 09:44 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Jet Kit Price?...

When I got home today after work, I did my usual cursory check of my car (a 2000 TL with 53K miles) and noticed my trans has a slight leak. The driver's side of the front sway bar was wet with ATF and there was some fluid on the garage floor. I checked the drain plug and it's tight and dry so I know it's coming from the back part of the trans. I'll make an appointment to take the car in and I figured while I'm at it, I'll have them install the trans oil jet kit. The trans runs fine otherwise so I don't think I'm due for a tranny failure anytime soon but I'll get the oil jet kit installed just to be safe .To those who had this installed, what's the going price for it? Thanks!!!
Old 09-10-2004, 10:45 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TLgunner
To those who had this installed, what's the going price for it? Thanks!!!
you don't pay for it. you call them to schedule an appointment for the trans recall, and if your trans is ok, they install the oiljet to make sure it doesnt get broken. if it is fucked, they replace it. it's a recall so you don't pay for it. of course, fluid leaking has nothing to do with the recall, though whatever it is, they should be able to fix it under your warranty.
Old 09-11-2004, 12:56 AM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nawww
you don't pay for it. you call them to schedule an appointment for the trans recall, and if your trans is ok, they install the oiljet to make sure it doesnt get broken. if it is fucked, they replace it. it's a recall so you don't pay for it. of course, fluid leaking has nothing to do with the recall, though whatever it is, they should be able to fix it under your warranty.
And I'm not too sure that the oil jet even does anything.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by phipark
And I'm not too sure that the oil jet even does anything.
Yes it does ! It will just delay the failure till 100K and then the Acura will just tell you are SOL !
Old 09-11-2004, 11:20 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by drcookie
Yes it does ! It will just delay the failure till 100K and then the Acura will just tell you are SOL !
the recall goes past 100k. if your tranny failed because of the 2nd gear heat localization prob that is causing trannies to break, then you'd still be fine. but the oil jet supposedly fixes that problem. if you ruin your tranny some other way (racing, cough cough) it has nothing to do with the recall.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:50 PM
Advanced

UPDATE... I took my car in for service today:

Good news:
1) Had the oil jet kit installed (under warranty) and had the trans oil leak fixed (axle seal replaced). Checked the fluid level when I got home, everything's OK!

2) Had the driver's side rear door frame garnish replaced (it got gouged when I had my springs & struts installed when they took out the back seat); beautiful, looks new.

3) Noticed the driver's side rear door armrest is separating from the ashtray/window switch plate; will be replaced with new armrest (on order).

Bad news:
1) Noticed a couple of new nicks in my wheels when I had them rotate the tires.
2) Without my consent, they changed my oil!! Now normally that wouldn't be a bad thing because they didn't charge me for it, but I had recently done my oil change with Mobil 1 so that's been wasted; they also put a couple of new scratches in my billet oil cap! I checked to make sure they didn't steal my super magnet drain plug, luckily that's still there.
3) I removed my Cusco lower strut bar before I brought the car in because I figured it would get hit on the rack as they drive the car up; I didn't remove the brackets. Well they managed to bend one of the brackets!!!

Folks, make sure you check your car over after you take it in for service to make sure they didn't screw up more things than they fixed!!!
Old 09-13-2004, 10:04 PM
Cruisin'

man, my armrest thingy is seperating too.. i just bought the car 2 weeks ago.. why is that? the back looks newer than the front.????
Old 09-14-2004, 12:29 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sumo82
man, my armrest thingy is seperating too.. i just bought the car 2 weeks ago.. why is that? the back looks newer than the front.????
both of my rear armrest thingies are doing the same, i think its a design flaw because i was crusing tls on ebay and almost all have the same problem. i know exactly what you're talking about because i've seen it in so many TLs
Old 09-14-2004, 07:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

are you guys referring to the armrest that comes out from the rear seats? I know that part sits on hinges, and just the other day when taking a hard corner, my buddy in the back seat leaned in hard left, and ripped that thing from the seat. I checked it out, and managed to pop it back in when we stopped. All in all, another stupid flaw, by HONDA!!!
Old 09-14-2004, 08:57 AM
I'd rather be driving:

Originally Posted by TLgunner
...3) Noticed the driver's side rear door armrest is separating from the ashtray/window switch plate; will be replaced with new armrest (on order). ...
The armrest on the door.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:24 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Oh please
Old 09-20-2004, 09:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

what is the oil jet kit exactly.

i've searched.

is it a mechanical device or just a cooling radiator...
Old 09-20-2004, 10:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by joseph_99tl
what is the oil jet kit exactly.

i've searched.

is it a mechanical device or just a cooling radiator...
From what the dealer explained to me, it's basically a pump that pulls fluid from the reservoir and sprays it on the 2nd gear cog (or whatever the technical term for it is). Apparently, again, this is what the dealer told me, the 2nd gear is taller than the other gears, and therefore doesn't get enough fluid around it to keep it cool.

Secondly, I just found out the other day that Pohanka Acura, the largest dealership in North America, charged my mom for the jet kit and labor. They never sent her a letter or told her they did it - the parts and service just showed up on the work statement when she picked up the car from an oil change. Usually, I stick by Pohanka and think they do great service, but in the past month or so, they seem to be pulling a lot of sneaky tricks. I called them today to verify that the jet kit was indeed a free install, and they confirmed it - so maybe they made a mistake. But damn, that's just not right....
Old 09-20-2004, 11:11 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
there is a recall the dealer will handle all transmission related problems, accordingly.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:44 PM
Banned

I had the oil je kit installed on 8/11 and the next couple of days i realized that the drivers side splash guard was full of oil and dirt. The next day i walk in the garage hit the button to open the garage and there is about 2 quarts of atf on the floor. I called acura roadside, they pick up my car, take it to the dealer then find out that the tech who installed the jet kit smashed the o-ring and that i only had about 1/2 quart of oil in the trans. Can you say pissed off, only cause i was leaving in two days on a 860 mile trip.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:16 PM
Advanced

How about this one.....

I had my oiljet kit installed two weeks ago. As soon as I got it home, the whole car started smoking and leaking tranny fluid! I took my car back to them the next day and cussed out the entire department like they stole something. They gave me an '04 loaner and I purposely kept it for a week so that I could take it on a 500 mile road trip. Better to put the mile on their s**t than mine. F**KERS!!
Old 09-20-2004, 04:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

im with him ^
Old 09-20-2004, 05:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AcMan24
How about this one.....

I had my oiljet kit installed two weeks ago. As soon as I got it home, the whole car started smoking and leaking tranny fluid! I took my car back to them the next day and cussed out the entire department like they stole something. They gave me an '04 loaner and I purposely kept it for a week so that I could take it on a 500 mile road trip. Better to put the mile on their s**t than mine. F**KERS!!
Nice.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:18 PM
Pro

Should I or Can I bring in the car for recall without receiving the recall letter?
Old 09-20-2004, 09:07 PM
Advanced

For the oil jet kit, I didn't have or bring a letter from Acura. They probably checked my car's VIN when I brought it in but the service tech didn't say anything to me about it. All I said was "Can you install the oil jet kit?" and the service tech said "Yes". My work order reads "Trans Oil Jet Kit... Warranty", I was not charged.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:09 PM
10th Gear

You can bring it in without the recall letter. If it applies to yours (and I think it applies to all 5-speed TLs) then they can look it up by VIN. That's what I did. And darn it, my back seat arm rests are falling apart! This pisses me off because I sold my '98 Accord and that was cleaner than this '01 TL! What's up with Honda/Acura?
Old 09-21-2004, 12:43 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mikelee223
Should I or Can I bring in the car for recall without receiving the recall letter?
yes u can i did