OEM cd changer or aftermarket ones????NEED QUICK ANS,BIDDING ON STH!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 10:51 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation OEM cd changer or aftermarket ones????NEED QUICK ANS,BIDDING ON STH!!!!

Hurry up guys, i know you guys wont bother to drop a word and help me out!!!

Everyone knows the shitty problem about reading CDR that we have, so i decided to go for the cd changer, no matter 6 disk or 10....

Wandering Does it have to be from ACURA to work with OEM headunit?????Or it can work with others like SONY, ALPINE, bluh bluh bluh?????

If they both work fine.Which one you guys is better????

HURRY...NEED a little help here... BIDDING ON STH!!!!!!

THANKS A LOT
Old 05-22-2004, 11:50 AM
3rd Gear

I purchased an Alpine 6CD changer from Magnolia HiFi in Seattle, WA and had them install it
I also priced the same unit at Car Toys
It is my understanding that Alpine makes the units for Acura/Honda
http://www.magnoliahifi.com/stores/bystate.asp
If you do not have a Magnolia HiFi close by I would look for a reputable dealor who carries Alpine products
You do need to purchase some cables and switches
Also the units used in 2004 models are different than the 1999-2003
Finally see if you are thinking of getting satellite radio you need a special adapter
From talking to the folks at Magnolia HiFi the salesperson thought by having a CD changer I could not have a direct connect for satellite radio, because the changer takes the plug. But after looking at the catalogue he thought there was a Y connector that would accept both the CD changer and a direct connect on satellite radio
Old 05-22-2004, 03:18 PM
Registered Abuser

Hey, don't worry about your auction. I got an Alpine CHM-S630 6 disk changer with the adapter to make it fit your stock HU sitting right here ready to ship.
Old 05-22-2004, 07:27 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I had the same problem of playing CD-R's so I added the 6 disk Alpine changer that also plays MP3's. To do so, you need 3 components:

Alpine CD/MP3 Changer - Model CHA-S634
Alpine Male Ai-Net to female M-Bus adapter - KCA-130B
BlitzSafe adapter - Model # HON/ALP DMX V.1

The BlitzSafe plugs into the back of the stock head end unit. The KCA-130B plugs into the BlitzSafe. The CHA-S634 connects to the KCA-130B. If you don't have Navi, you can go to the Acura dealer and buy a Navi bracket and mount the changer in there. Very clean install. Many have done it so you can search other threads for instuctions.

Hitting the CD button on the head end unit switches between the in-dash CD and the Changer. When controlling the Changer, your 1-6 buttons that are also used to change stations are used to change CD's.

It's a great alternative.
Old 05-23-2004, 02:16 AM
Racer

TL-IGHTs ,How much u gonna sell for them?? does it work on my 2001 TL w/ navi??? How's the condition of it?

All-Out, ur idea sounds awesome, but does tthat work on my 2001 TL w/ navi???I heard ppl say stuff work on 2003 HU may not work on 01's??

Thanks guys
Old 05-23-2004, 03:29 AM
Blown is Best

Originally Posted by BeemerKiller
TL-IGHTs ,How much u gonna sell for them?? does it work on my 2001 TL w/ navi??? How's the condition of it?
Check this thread in the Black Market:
http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80943
Good condition, some minor scratches, asking 210+shipping OBO for both items. You can purchase separately if you would like. Changer - 160 +SH OBO, BS Adapt - 70 +SH OBO. I accept paypal.

All-Out, ur idea sounds awesome, but does tthat work on my 2001 TL w/ navi???I heard ppl say stuff work on 2003 HU may not work on 01's??
As far as I know, it should work for you. Check with BlitzSafe.com for the adapter - that will be the critical compatability component. You can even call them to confirm.

I actually did that mod to our 99 TL-P non-Navi and it worked fine. Not on the 2003 TL-S w/ Navi. I'm almost positive I've seen it done w/ Navi also. Before the site was revamped, there were quite a few threads on the topic. I even remember someone that mounted the changer to the bottom of his Navi unit bracket.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:56 PM
Racer

Wink

Thanks guys for the reply..

but got some question in mind, How do i install it?? So i need a cd changer unit, BS adapt, that's all??? I want to install the cd changer in my trunk, Do i need anythingelse?? Or you guys have some other better idea

Thanks a bunch
Old 05-24-2004, 08:04 AM
Registered Abuser

Thanks guys for the reply..

but got some question in mind, How do i install it?? So i need a cd changer unit, BS adapt, that's all??? I want to install the cd changer in my trunk, Do i need anythingelse?? Or you guys have some other better idea

Thanks a bunch
I recommend you install it under the passenger seat. That makes somewhat easy access from the driving position. Also that requires about 150x less work than running all those wires to the trunk. I have another potential buyer so I need a decision BeemerK.

Matt
Old 05-24-2004, 04:38 PM
Racer

Matt u got pm
Old 05-24-2004, 07:14 PM
Instructor

Curious, the Blitzsafe converter looks to be specific to the APline unit, no?
I have a pioneer changer and it has an option for a direct cable control.
I wonder if there is a standard interface fot this sort of thing. Hard to
imagine that the Blitzsafe is specific to just Honda/Alpine. The Pioneer
system is "Pioneer IP-Bus-compatible". Is there a converter block for this
as well?

/Steve
Old 05-25-2004, 01:31 AM
Racer

We installed an Alpine CHM S620 6 disc changer in the trunk of our 2000TL, running the cable from the passenger side of the head unit. We had to remove all kinds of trim (wood bits, center console) to get at the back of the radio. I think we got the installation instructions off the internet.

We ended up using industrial-type velcro to hold the changer in the slot-shaped well on the left side of the trunk. Plus a little bit of foam to stop it moving. Worked really well, and stayed put until we pulled it out last October at the end of the lease. Don't have a use for it yet, but it's mine, so I wasn't letting them have it

But I have to say it's a bugger to get the cable behind the rear seat to the trunk. We fed the cable around the back seat to the rear shelf, then worked it through a gap in the frame. I had to lie on my back in the trunk and work my fingers up through the frame so hubby could find a way to get through. You could maybe see half an inch of cable if you knew where to look.

The alpine worked really well with the stock head unit.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:15 PM
Racer

is any one aware if the steering wheel controls still worked after this alpine changer was installed?
Old 06-02-2004, 01:28 AM
Blown is Best

Originally Posted by soccerbenk
is any one aware if the steering wheel controls still worked after this alpine changer was installed?
Yes. Since stock head end unit is still there, controls work fine.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:26 PM
Racer

Yep, they did - Volume and track change, wasn't it? Had to change discs using the 1-6 on the head unit. Don't mean to sound vague, but the car's been gone for 6 months, and both my current cars have wheel-mounted controls.