OBX off, Comptech headers on, impressions

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
OBX off, Comptech headers on, impressions

They are pricey yes but NO resonence! Also another plus that I didn't expect was more mid-range power. With the OBX's I had a real dead spot that now is gone. So from 3K up I say the gains begin. Bought them used and am really satisfied.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:37 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so u feel the difference between the obx and the comptech?
Old 06-10-2003, 11:26 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is my impression since Bigman and I did a friendly race a few months back. He has the obx and I have the comptech headers. On a roll, he would get a jump on me cause he was the one honking the horn. We would be dead even til about end of 3rd going into 4th gear. Then I would start pulling on him. This happened like 3 times. Mind you, supposedly obx copied off comptech's design so you would expect the performance to be the same.

So we both concluded that obx have better launch off the line (depending on who launches first cause we did a rolling start) while comptech have a better top end. Remember, this is from our observation and by no mean scientific.
Old 06-11-2003, 02:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by BlackShadow
This is my impression since Bigman and I did a friendly race a few months back. He has the obx and I have the comptech headers. On a roll, he would get a jump on me cause he was the one honking the horn. We would be dead even til about end of 3rd going into 4th gear. Then I would start pulling on him. This happened like 3 times. Mind you, supposedly obx copied off comptech's design so you would expect the performance to be the same.

So we both concluded that obx have better launch off the line (depending on who launches first cause we did a rolling start) while comptech have a better top end. Remember, this is from our observation and by no mean scientific.
Good info. BTW, I assume both of you have the same type of mods? Different mods may come into play and affect the overall results. And I would like to see what the results are if you and Bigman switched cars (you drive Bigman's car, he drives yours). Gotta factor in (or out) the driver's skill in all of this!
Old 06-11-2003, 10:57 PM
O.G.

Originally posted by patrick
Good info. BTW, I assume both of you have the same type of mods? Different mods may come into play and affect the overall results. And I would like to see what the results are if you and Bigman switched cars (you drive Bigman's car, he drives yours). Gotta factor in (or out) the driver's skill in all of this!
I don't want to nitpick but my car is heavy as hell (system and rims). We both also have intake. Don't remember if he had exhausts though.

Yo bigman, put your 2 cents in here.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:19 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Binh I had you by a lot all the time. The only time you caught up was when i was backing off at 125 and you started catching up. But now i have a full cat back. Supposedly they are not suppose to give a lot of power, but me and Rondog(modded CL-S) Ran three times yesterday from a 50 mph roll. All three tims he beeped and we went. You would think even with a jump or not he would beat me hard. Nope, on all three runs i had him by a car and a half till 125 where we shut down. And one time fron 30 till 80 he was dead even with me when i started pulling when he hit 4th gear and i was still in 3rd. You can go over to a-cl and ask him. This is me with a system, injen cai, obx, full cat back magnaflow. Dont forget me and you raced three times and i jumped hard on you all three times, one time you caught up. We have to do 3 consecutive runs from the same speed to the same speed to see where both our cars really shine. Also Rondog admitted his hassle with my car tonight at the meet. My car is a different beast from when we met last. You have to count the different mods. Also i had 2 of your rims, you had 2 rims, and i have chrome on the car, with a heavier system. We have to get up and do this again. All friendly of course, no bad blood like rondog and SlyTLS who fight everytime they see each other.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

OK, so I see what Bigman has in terms of perf. mods. Can you list yours Binh? BTW Bigman, are you saying that your cat-back exhaust made a difference in your race against Rondog? Are you saying that the results may have been more even if you didn't have the cat-back exhaust? This is facinating....
Old 06-12-2003, 05:32 PM
O.G.

Originally posted by patrick
OK, so I see what Bigman has in terms of perf. mods. Can you list yours Binh? BTW Bigman, are you saying that your cat-back exhaust made a difference in your race against Rondog? Are you saying that the results may have been more even if you didn't have the cat-back exhaust? This is facinating....
My performance mods are: AEM CAI and Comptech Headers...oh and don't forget my 3A Racing tips and painted engine bay (worth about 20 extra hp).
Old 06-12-2003, 06:33 PM
Drifting

hey how much did the piping and instalation of the catback cost you and did you keep the stock cat and the resonators?...also..do you know of any aftermarket exhaust that sound deep?
Old 06-12-2003, 07:39 PM
Peach Tea

ohh bigman beat blackshadow. lol next time get it on vid
Old 06-12-2003, 07:40 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Magnaflow sells exhaust for the honda accord. It is a mandrel bent b pipe with an inline resonator and dual mufflers. The mufflers that come with the kit are round, i got the oval ones with the tips i liked. The kit was like 470ish and with install came to around 520is. The only thing they had to do was extend the pipe a little and make a connection to the cat. The sound is great and deep. It doesnt have a lot of drone at cruising speeds and is not cancelled out by the intake at higher rpm. Do a search i have a vid clip that is only like a few days old.
Old 06-12-2003, 09:02 PM
Drifting

thanx...i just looked at your vid...how does it sound at idle...it doesnt sound like it makes alot of noise
Old 06-12-2003, 09:10 PM
Drifting

actually..i just looked at it on the magnaflow site,...it probably wouldnt benifit me much sisnce i have the type-s right? but i guess i'd get it just for teh sound...where did you get it for that price?...and you were able to pick the muffler or just the tips?