Numerous problems with TLS

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 02:23 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Numerous problems with TLS

What's up forum. I'm here to let you know what Acura is repairing on my 2002 3.2 TL Type S. Silver/Ebony

1- Warped Rotors - They told me I had to pay until I mentioned that I will call Acura Client Services, they said no, we will replace your rotors under goodwill. not resurface them. haha
2- Driver's seat is loose from track
3- Steering wheel is rubbing when I turn
4- Storage bin above cd player broke
5- Molding around window is crinkling
6- Moonroof squeaks when shade is open and moonroof is closed
7- Rear bumper above rear driver tire is not flush

Besides this I replaced 5 Michelin 17" tires. They suck. Hit any kind of bump in the road, you got a bubble. I will be going to Sears, they have my tire size and will replace if anything goes wrong.
Also had my bushings tightened because the steering wheel made another loud noise prior to the one they are fixing now.

And this is without any tranny problems. That is next. I asked Ryan's Open Road Acura in NJ how the tranny problems were, he said you dont even want to know. Same with the rotors and every problem I listed above except for the misaligned bumper, which I have seen in other Tl's anyway.

American made piece of S***. No wonder why 95% of American made cars come with 3/36 warranty. Now you know why. The Legend was by far the best and most reliable car ever made. Incredible car. Wish I owned one.

I plan on never getting a Honda product again. Lexus or Infiniti here I come. They last forever.

And by the way, why on every window it has to say Honda, I went to get an Acura, not a Honda car, same thing with the lease statement. Can't you seperate the 2. Honda TL.

F*** You Honda.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Numerous problems with TLS

I plan on never getting a Honda product again. Lexus or Infiniti here I come. They last forever.
Just by that quote alone it shows how ignorant you are....read over your problems and then step back, take a deep breath, and realize they are squeaks and/or rattles for the most part.

Its not like you car breaks down regularly....

If you think infiniti and lexus last forever than you clearly NEVER owned one.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:33 PM
Pro

WOW, I hope your fealing better!
Old 08-22-2003, 02:36 PM
Advanced

squeaks and rattles. whatever pal. never had that with my 98 millenia. car was perfect.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:46 PM
Instructor

Well go and buy your car back!!!! Go get another car and call us when you have more problems.
Old 08-22-2003, 03:29 PM
Instructor

what do you think your getting when you buy a lexus?? a freakin toyota..and same with infiniti...a nissan. clueless!!
Old 08-22-2003, 03:53 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I understand your frustration. Most of the problems you listed pretty much everyone hear faces. But this doesn't mean the car is a POS. As long as it takes you from point A to point B, then the car is doing its job.
Old 08-22-2003, 04:35 PM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Well, yes and no. I will agree that Lexus is a superior product to anything on the road but if you think Infiniti is--or even has better service than Honda/Acura--you've got a rude awakening ahead...

Good luck on whatever you do...I find for $30k the car is perfectly fine, but if I spent $40k for it, I'd be a bit peeved...To each his own I 'spose...
Old 08-22-2003, 04:50 PM
Instructor

I have friends that own Lexus (ES300(2), one GS300 and one GS400), plus a couple of Infiniti. Go ahead and buy any of these. You'll be enlightened. Also a friend with a BMW M3. He has a lot of paint chips (too many people here think that our Acura's paint sucks and that BMW's is bullit proof-guess again) and some very expensive repairs. The grass is always greener I guess. Not saying these aren't great cars, I love that M3 and the GS400, but they have their problems too. Peace!!
Old 08-22-2003, 05:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by steve29
squeaks and rattles. whatever pal. never had that with my 98 millenia. car was perfect.
okay buddy, simply turn on damn music in your car and your problems are solved. Secondly, all those described problems are known issues within Acura...they will fix them all pretty much for free if you have more patience then a two year old.
Take your damn car in for one lousy day, ask for a courtesy car, and voila...your car runs like new again.

Don't bad mouth Acura. This is my second acura, and all I have is good things to say about it. I mean yah sure there are some dealers that don't know what the hell they are talking about, but c'est la vie...find somewhere else to go...don't ***** because of one bad experience.

How about you go drive a freakin Lexus ES300, take that thing for a joy ride, put the pedal to the metal, then do the same with your Type S, and then come back and talk to us...your response should be...holy s*it my car is fast. People on this forum hate whiners...take your problems elsewhere, or to your dealer and get them fixed.
Old 08-22-2003, 05:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

oh man, if you think honda/acura has problems you need to rethink what you say.

cause no car doesnt have its problems. and if it is bothering you go get them fixed at the dealer. and if some things you cant get fixed live with it. i mean you are the one who bought it, dont come *****ing now.
Old 08-22-2003, 06:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
Originally posted by asloudasitgets
oh man, if you think honda/acura has problems you need to rethink what you say.

cause no car doesnt have its problems. and if it is bothering you go get them fixed at the dealer. and if some things you cant get fixed live with it. i mean you are the one who bought it, dont come *****ing now.
Lexus is way better product than Acura. Just check out jdpowers.com long term review, lexus beats it all.

I am very disappointed with build quality which gives many rattles and squeaks everywhere in the cabin, its unacceptable.
And no, dealership don't fix them... they have hard time hearing them, and can't find them. and I dont blame them, they can't fix a major flaw in noise reduction.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:00 PM
Happy with my STi!

Acura dealers do fix the sunroof problem and a rattlin noise in the seat belt. However, they are tons of problems that just seem new to them.

I agree with russianDude, the TL is a very poorly built car and seems to be just too much noise in the interior. I started experiencing noises after the second week I got the car! Come on... that is just way over the line.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:59 PM
Advanced

hi i have had my '03 TL for almost 2 months. i happy with it but hearing all these problems make me dread what i might have to suffer down the road. the only concern i have is that sometimes after i start the car a few seconds later i hear a loud kind of grinding clanking noise. can anyone tell me what this might be.
Old 08-23-2003, 09:23 PM
6th Gear

First, I apologize for the following "way too long message", but I hate to here anyone generally bad mouth Acura. Sure they have their problems, but they all do.

Second, it just sounds like you are having a bad day. It could be worse, you could be walking. I would be willing to bet that, despite all the problems you have had, your car will most likely never leave you stranded on the side of the road.

My last Acura ('90 Integra LS) lasted for over 262K miles with no major problems. Believe it or not, the original clutch lasted for 220K and I was not easy on it. But, I did get things fixed as soon as I thought I had a problem, not after.

I have heard many such stories about Hondas and Toyotas. Funny, I have never heard of a prisitine, trouble-free, high mileage (>200K) MAZDA. Maybe you should have held onto that '98 Millenia that was so "perfect". It could have been the only one.

Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus are the best and most reliable cars for the money "period" I do not consider Nissan/Infiniti, nor Mazda(Ford) in the same class. And German cars are nice, but too expensive up front and to maintain later - just can't justify the price.

I have experienced almost every minor problem you mentioned. I made the dealer aware of it and had it all fixed with no argruements or complaints (and got a free loaner, if the work took more than an hour or so).

Try bringing in these types of complaints to a GM dealer. If he dosen't laugh at you first, he'll probalby tell you that it is either normal wear and tear or that you caused the problem. I will never buy another GM product -ever! They are all crap!

BottomLine: I hate to hear anyone "generally" bad mouth Acura - In the case of the TL-S, you can't find another 4 door performance sedan with the interior space, simple but classy design, and proven reliability that is this much fun to drive. The Acura TL-S is it. - This includes the Butt-Ugly New Maxima and G-35.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Acura Legend was of exceptional quality. Avura Integra was very well build. Good luck getting >200K miles out of your TL, its not integra. No question that Acura USED to be superior quality, but I can see obvious decline in quality when they introduced 5speed TL/CL. Its a step down in quality for Acura.
Lexus is a better car than Acura. why I dont have it? Can't afford it. Go to jdpower.com and check out long term reliability study (5 years or more), Lexus is always number one. Toyota Camry is very reliable car, more reliabile than TL/CL, but it has bad performance and its body style sucks. I think TL/CL have excellent performance and body style, however, the quality of build (rattles) is a major turn off.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Its stupid to compare Acura to Toyota or Nissan. Acura better be above Toyota and Nissan (At least I hope so). Acura should be compared to names like Lexus and Infinity..... and this is where I think Acura is a little behind.....
Old 08-23-2003, 11:01 PM
Advanced

i got all of the problems fixed. i bad mouthed acura cause i was pissed. its a great car, i just say **** i dont mean when a bunch of **** goes wrong. i was pissed mostly cause i had to wait a month for an appointment. it sucks when your wheel shakes all the time when you apply the brake. but they gave me an rsx as a loaner and resurfaced my rotors as a 1 time goodwill. plus they fixed the rattle in the moonroof, replaced the seat track, tray above cd player, and made an appointment to even out my bumper thats a little off. later
Old 08-24-2003, 05:54 PM
6th Gear

russianDude -

Your right Lexus is a better made car than an Acura, any way you look at it. And Acura should be compared to Lexus, not Toyota.

I wasn't comparing Acura to Toyota or Nissan, though. I wrote Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus. However, my personal opinion of and experience with Nissan/Infinity is not good. I do not believe the quality is there. Test drive one...put your foot to the floor and you'll see what I mean (i.e. '03 Maxima or G-35 - haven't tried the '04's yet). I'd buy their stock, before I'd buy one of their cars.

Yeah, and your right that I will probably never get >200K out of this TL-S, but I don't do that type of driving anymore and won't need to. But with all the problems you guys have described here, maybe I'll be singing a different tune soon. Today though, I am still a satified customer.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:17 PM
Advanced

i have been putting ultra 94 in my TL-S instead of 93. i am pretty sure i get an extra boost on the highway, or maybe i think i do. what do you guys put in your cars. when i first got it i put in 87. i tried to start the car, and it struggled. i read the owners manual and it said 87 may affect the way it starts and its performance. i put in 93 or 94.
Old 08-25-2003, 03:04 AM
Burning Brakes

By the way gents... the windows on a Lexus say "Toyota" on them!

V.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:15 AM
Smitty's Moral Police

Originally posted by russianDude
No question that Acura USED to be superior quality, but I can see obvious decline in quality when they introduced 5speed TL/CL.
Lexus is a better car than Acura. why I dont have it? Can't afford it. Go to jdpower.com and check out long term reliability study (5 years or more), Lexus is always number one.
Apparently it IS a question, since the 5speed TL/CL wouldn't be on someone's 5 year or more list. There are more TL owners without issues than with. (And as you indicate, these are not old enough for long term studies)
Not that it matters, since I've heard of Chevy Luminas doing the 200k+, and mine was a POS. But then again, Chevy Malibu is #1 on one of those jdpowers dependability lists, so I guess Chevy is more reliable than Lexus by your logic. Oh wait, Acura is on the list too. Maybe you should worry less about some list someone compiled in order to ultimately get advertising and sales?
Old 08-25-2003, 04:51 PM
Advanced

the windows on lexus say lexus. i was just at the dealer. maybe the older ones dont.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:14 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
the windows may say lexus, but look under the hood and there are a bazillion parts that have the toyota name on them... what the hell is the friggen point?? who cares????????
Old 08-26-2003, 01:15 AM
Race Director

Originally posted by unlemming
Apparently it IS a question, since the 5speed TL/CL wouldn't be on someone's 5 year or more list. There are more TL owners without issues than with. (And as you indicate, these are not old enough for long term studies)
Not that it matters, since I've heard of Chevy Luminas doing the 200k+, and mine was a POS. But then again, Chevy Malibu is #1 on one of those jdpowers dependability lists, so I guess Chevy is more reliable than Lexus by your logic. Oh wait, Acura is on the list too. Maybe you should worry less about some list someone compiled in order to ultimately get advertising and sales?
JD Powers is the biggest load of BS I have ever heard..

There Stats are totally off, and most of there info comes from people that complain and some complain for the hell of it for little things, while others have major troubles and never report it..

I remember there one Report with Hyundai being up there with a Honda, That was just WAY TOO OFF!