Not low enough.. Too low.. ahh.. just right

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 03:55 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Not low enough.. Too low.. ahh.. just right

I just bought took home my 03 TL T-s and I'm consider lowering the car.. any thoughts feedback on a brand of springs (looking into either the H&R sport springs or H&R OE sport springs). Is lowering 1.75" all around too low or just right. If those who has this setup; how does it ride? Any recommendations on alternatives? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance:
-03TLS stock (for now)
-94 300zx Conv. (blitz performance)
-92 BMW 525IA (M5 engine conv.)
Old 01-14-2003, 10:15 PM
GO SEMINOLES!!!

i'm not sure but you could do a gallery search, but i recommend ground control adj. springs, i like it b/c i get to set it at any height...
Old 01-15-2003, 04:13 AM
Burning Brakes

for the price, the h&r sport sprngs are unbeatable! i love the ride height, just right imo. the ride got a little harsh, but for me, its been well worth the look. ive actually ahd tlp owners walk up to me and ask why my car looks sooo different, and better than theirs....jajajaja dumb suburbanites!

as for height...the nose has been beaten up a bit due to hitting curbs and parking blocks when parking. that is the only thing to look out for.

yes, adj coilovers would be best, but only if u have the cash to throw around
Old 01-15-2003, 05:04 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the H&R sport...they are great. Yeah, you will sacrafic a little of your "smoothness" for exchange for better handling. It's not that bad, it's worth it. Then i moved to Teins...honestly...i think the H&R handled better, i think the spring rate of the H&R are higher, and the Teins have lower spring rate...i make the shocks stiffer...the ride is more rough to get the same handling i got with the H&R. The drop was probably 1/4 inch too low for me...but it still look nice though.

You have to take into account that these spring are made for the AV6, not a TL-S, but it also works for TL-S....it's a bit more than 1.75
Old 01-15-2003, 07:48 AM
Instructor

You can get some idea how it looks with H&R OE from my sign.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:59 AM
Instructor

I prefer Eibach
Old 01-15-2003, 09:54 AM
Drifting

There are many things to consider:

ride quality
evenness of drop
cost
camber
shock wear

Plenty of info in the archives, do a search on lowering springs faq
Old 01-15-2003, 10:30 AM
Mr. Self Destruct

Here's another look of the H&R OE drop. The ride is very nice, similar to stock, yet I can feel the difference. I love the height as I don't have to worry about scraping anything and still (barely) clear parking blocks.

Old 01-15-2003, 11:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally posted by AcuraTLFan
I had the H&R sport...they are great. Yeah, you will sacrafic a little of your "smoothness" for exchange for better handling. It's not that bad, it's worth it. Then i moved to Teins...honestly...i think the H&R handled better, i think the spring rate of the H&R are higher, and the Teins have lower spring rate...i make the shocks stiffer...the ride is more rough to get the same handling i got with the H&R. The drop was probably 1/4 inch too low for me...but it still look nice though.

You have to take into account that these spring are made for the AV6, not a TL-S, but it also works for TL-S....it's a bit more than 1.75
I love my H&R Sports.... (pics on my website linked in signature). The ride is slightly firmer... but the car handles soooo much better... especially with the 18" rims/tires.

In the future I'd like to get the Tein coilovers, however I'll probably go for the model with the electronic ride adjustment so they're not any more harsh then the H&R.

Anyway, if you're really worried about your ride... then go for the Comptech's. They are money.. but supposedly have a better ride then the H&R Sports. For me... the H&R Sports are sweet. I love them.
Old 01-15-2003, 11:44 AM
Drifting

baggs, is it just me or is your drop different from right to left?
Old 01-15-2003, 11:49 AM
Drifting

Teins...
Old 01-15-2003, 02:04 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
After spending NUMEROUS hours searching the archives when shopping for springs myself last year, here are my conclusions:

The Comptechs supposedly offer the best ride comfort of the 3 (H&R, Eibach, Comptech). That's what I decided to go with and I've been very happy. The ride gets a little bumpy on BAD pavement, but otherwise it's quite good. Also, the Comptechs give the car a "raked" look (the front drop is slightly lower than the back), which gives the car an aggressive stance that I like quite a bit.

The H&R sports are probably close to the ride comfort of the Comptechs, but not quite as good. They also offer a slightly lower drop than the Comptechs. This might cause your camber to be slightly out of spec, as my camber is ALMOST out of spec with the Comptechs, but not quite.

If you do a search you'll see that the Eibachs give the worst ride quality of the 3 on our cars. You'll likely need a camber kit with the Eibach also, as I believe it offers the largest drop of the 3.

I would avoid the H&R OE, as many people complained about the back end "sagging". I think these springs were designed for the Accord, and the extra weight of the TL causes the springs to sag a little too much...especially in the rear. The drop is also VERY MINIMAL, and not worth it IMO.

Disclaimer:
These were my conclusions after researching. I only have first hand experience with the Comptechs, and I've been happy with my decision.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:16 PM
5th Gear

Thanks for everyone that posted your comment! I appreciate all of your feedback. I do want the look but I also want to ride comfort and since I do plan on upgrading my wheels to 19" along with the OEM body, I think I may go with the H&R OE. I'll post some pics once the TL "project" is complete.

Thanks again!
03tlt-2
Old 01-15-2003, 02:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Sports taint bad !
Old 01-19-2003, 06:47 PM
Intermediate

i got apex n1 now i used to have h&r sports 1.5" drop and they are a nice drop with koni yellows which are super email me if you like them
Old 01-19-2003, 08:48 PM
Racer

Shup guys...i swapped out my H&R sports for some Nex coilover system...I cudnt wait for the teins cos they didnt have the topmounts so went with Nex. Nex had the metal topmounts included and had the ability to drop almost 5" down...but the ride is a lot firmer than H&R sports but not harsh bouncy...mayb cos i set the shock to the half way point...well just came back from Import Motion and wanted to guys to see how u guys like the drop....it's almost slammed to the ground....enjoy....btw...do u guys like the eye candy as well???

This pic doesnt really show the rear to be really slammed dropped cos the spring didnt have time to settle...i had to drop it when i was setin up at the show...you knoe its not practical to drive that low on the streets...

As of now my ride is dropped to about the height or a bit lower than the H&R Race springs w/ the Nex coilover....

EvoRTL-S (I N S P I R E D) TL TypeS :p

TEAM EVOLUTION Racing
Old 01-20-2003, 05:14 AM
Burning Brakes

H&R sports...very nice drop height, and pretty much stock ride.

click sig for more pix
Old 01-20-2003, 09:34 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by EvoRTL-S
Shup guys...i swapped out my H&R sports for some Nex coilover system...I cudnt wait for the teins cos they didnt have the topmounts so went with Nex. Nex had the metal topmounts included and had the ability to drop almost 5" down...but the ride is a lot firmer than H&R sports but not harsh bouncy...mayb cos i set the shock to the half way point...well just came back from Import Motion and wanted to guys to see how u guys like the drop....it's almost slammed to the ground....enjoy....btw...do u guys like the eye candy as well???

This pic doesnt really show the rear to be really slammed dropped cos the spring didnt have time to settle...i had to drop it when i was setin up at the show...you knoe its not practical to drive that low on the streets...

As of now my ride is dropped to about the height or a bit lower than the H&R Race springs w/ the Nex coilover....

TEAM EVOLUTION Racing
did those girls come with the car when u bought it??
if so are you planning to sell it along with the car of course.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:10 AM
Instructor

Hey, I just got the H&R Sports and im going to get the installed sometime this week. So there is no way of adjusting these? They go as low as they are able to? Will I rub with my 19" wheels?
Old 01-20-2003, 06:42 PM
Racer

Originally posted by this is me

did those girls come with the car when u bought it??
if so are you planning to sell it along with the car of course.
muahahahaha...no the gurls didnt come with the car...you willing to make me an offer i cant refuse??? ....but to be serious...it seems that alot of gurls were actracted to my ride...it was a shame that when i was eattin my lunch at a table close to my ride that lots of gurls came w/photographers and took some snaps... and i personally didnt take ne pix...i guess all i have to say is watch for my baby in a magazine(s) in the furture??? hehee...btw if i had to choose i wud pick the gurl kneeling down...she's the hottest one out of the three to me....laters

TEAM EVOLUTION Racing
Old 01-20-2003, 07:46 PM
3rd Gear

Hey EvoRTL-S where do you get your clear corners?
Old 01-21-2003, 01:17 AM
Racer

Originally posted by NJ32TypeS
Shup,

i didnt clear my corners....if u look at the TL-S w/ the three gurls, my corners aint cleared....i think u were refering to WiLz...try askin him bout it...laters

TEAM EVOLUTION Racing
Old 01-21-2003, 02:42 AM
Drifting

EvoRTL-S...nice .
Old 01-21-2003, 02:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by NJ32TypeS
you bake your headlight in a oven, pry it open, and take out the orange reflector
Old 01-21-2003, 06:57 PM
Intermediate

Hey EvoRTL-S
You got any more pics of your car? I was looking to buy the rain guards and get them painted SSM to match the car, just wanted to see some other angles with the guards on. Also where did you buy them?
Old 01-23-2003, 12:53 AM
Racer

Thanx Richard (peiqinglong)....

Alegend5, i dont have ne good angles of the rain guards but could take some if you like....it might take a few days tho....

laters

TEAM EVOLUTION Racing
Old 01-23-2003, 09:15 AM
Intermediate

It would def be appreciated, whenever you get a chance. You could e-mail them to me at Atls5@msn.com. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:28 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by EvoRTL-S
Thanx Richard (peiqinglong)....

Alegend5, i dont have ne good angles of the rain guards but could take some if you like....it might take a few days tho....

laters

TEAM EVOLUTION Racing
Damn bro...we need to meet up and take some pics yo!!!
Old 01-23-2003, 03:52 PM
Racer

no prob Alegend5...i'll hit u up when i had taken some snaps....it's rainin' where i live now and my ride is hella wet and dirty...so hang in there...

Richard,

i hella want to too...but i think our schedules are different...this semester and work schedule changed abit tho....u can hit me up on PM when is a good time to meet up and we'll work something out...i'll try to get Snapple to come along too

Laters

TEAM EVOLUTION Racing