Is this normal with michelins?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 12:52 PM
Fallen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this normal with michelins?

O my god.. I almost had an accident..

It happend on the way home, it was little bit raining but no more than a light-rain, the road was reasonably wet..

I was on the street (small two-lane street(including oncoming lane)), i was stopping for a stop sign.

I felt Huge shake when i was braking, and right away i notice that i was the front-right tire.

When i took off, the front-right tire was spinning crazy, i could hear the noise the tire was making and also felt that the tire lost its grip.

I had several more stops and decided to get in to the parking lot near by, and i checked my tire. There was nothing visually worng with the tire, so i tested the car in the empty parking lot. Sharp turns at low speed, braking at low speed and all. The car was sticking on the ground when i was testing it, so i went on the street, with extra care. On next stop, holy crap! the tire lost its grip again. I stopped about 10 inch further from the position i should have stopped. I took off, and tire spun like it has no thred left. I finally got to Yonge street, and made a right turn under the green light, another huge spin during accelerating 0 - 20 km/h.

I had my VSA on too..!

What the hell? I never had this experience even under a heavy shower.

I had to change the passenger side tire and rim few weeks ago because it had two bubbles and a bent rim.

I thought that it was not a good idea to give a new tire on one side of the front wheels since TLs are FF.

Could somedoby help me? Any oppinion will be appretiated. Thank you so much.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was your tire on the painted line on the side of the road at all? That could have caused only that one tire to loose grip.....
Old 06-17-2004, 01:18 PM
Fallen

I have thought of that too.. but I experienced more than one spins and one was on middle of Yonge street... (Started spinning from the centre street which i was on before get into Yonge street).. I saw my VSA light blinking desperately to balance the car...
Old 06-17-2004, 02:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Dude, don't even bother trying to use these stock michelins in Rain or Snow. I did, and it was hell on wheels. I switched to the Toyo T1-S, and even when it's torentially raining, I can get up to 130 km/h without any slipping. And also, I had to make an emergency stop a couple days ago on Bathurst while it was pouring rain at about 12:30am and I stopped a hell of a lot quicker than I expected, and the ABS only kicked in from 20-0...I went from like 100 to 20 in no time. The toyo's are a phonomenal tire but are definitely noisier than stock, but then again they probably will save ones life in a panic stop situation.

Get a new set of tires, a good all-season will be better than our michelins (Conti-Extreme Contacts, P Zero Nero) or get dedicated summer and winter tires like I did.

Just my .02!!!
Old 06-17-2004, 03:03 PM
Drifting

Stock Michelins are designed to be hard as rock. This gives Acura a good published fuel economy number for their cars and the entire fleet. Acura put a 6.5 inch wide wheel on the car probably for the same reason.

Get some seperate summer and winter tires. Winter tires are cheap so the time you spend rolling on 16 inch cheapo rubber will save you money in the long run.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:18 PM
Fallen

Thank you all for your oppinions , suggestions and advices. I really feel that i have to swap those crap tires now...
Old 06-17-2004, 03:22 PM
Drifting

Check PM

P.S. I live in your neighbourhood near Yonge and Finch!
Old 06-17-2004, 03:56 PM
Banned

Can I fit 225 on my stock 03 TLS rims ?
Old 06-17-2004, 04:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ajNYHC
Can I fit 225 on my stock 03 TLS rims ?
yes you can fit 225/45/17 on the stock TL-S rims, but you would be better off going with 235/45/17 since it hardly affects your speedometer. When the speedometer says you're going 60 MPH, you are really going 59.5 MPH, not the biggest difference. I have had my toyo's on my stock rim for about 3000 km now, and they are 235/45/17 and haven't had any problems. The one thing I do notice that others have mentioned is there's a distinct noise when coming to a stop when you have a wider. You hear a sound as if the tire is really gripping the ground (which it is), but compared to the michelins, they grip 100 times better in braking, and in acceleration.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:15 PM
Instructor

I noticed that you said “it was little bit raining but no more than a light-rain, the road was reasonably wet..” Was that dry for long time before that rain? If it was, here is the problem. Also, over period of dry weather dust settles on the road. When the first rain starts and it’s not too heavy, water mixes up with dust and forms very slippery film, acts almost like oil. That can be washed off the center of road toward the side. Soft rubber tires grip better and, therefore it is less sensitive to a difference between the center and the side of the road in this condition. Your Michelins are quite hard; they don’t stick and would slide/spin easier.
Just my 0.02 ...
Old 06-17-2004, 04:21 PM
Drifting

225/50/17 is a better match to stock than 225/45/17 but both would fit.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hemants
ya I know...but in my case I had a guy who could only get certain sizes...the stock size (215/50/17) was 25 USD more per tire, so I decided to go for 235/45/17...overall I'm very happy with the tires. You will notice though with a wider tire, that the sidewall does bulge out a bit more...but nothing to worry about. I have taken hard corners, and the tires are still going great.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:35 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by hemants
Agree with 225/50/17 being a better match to stock and about the widest you really want to put on a stock rim.

I recently put on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, these are much better than the stock Michelins.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:43 PM
Drifting

haha call me crazy but i dont have ne problems wiht my stock michlens.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by got_3.2?
haha call me crazy but i dont have ne problems wiht my stock michlens.
Trust me man, there's no way you could keep up with me if it was pouring rain. Toyo T1-S against the Michelin MVM4??? I wonder who will stay stuck to the road better? I'm guessing the michelin's will hydroplan the first the opportunity they get...Like I said, I was booting it one evening in the rain...it got to the point where I thought I was reaching the limit in that weather, but those tires never gave in, pure grip the whole way through.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:35 PM
TL-S driver

the stock tires are aweful! Change them ASAP! They make such a HUGE difference between new aftermarkets and the stocks.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by goldendragon576
the stock tires are aweful! Change them ASAP! They make such a HUGE difference between new aftermarkets and the stocks.
yup yup yup!!! Especially in the braking aspect. I can hardly ever get ABS to kick in when braking with Summer tires...as opposed to the stock tires where ABS would literally kick in 1-2 times/day...I got so fed up of locking the wheels up all the time for absolutely no reason. Just because the road had a bit of sand on it? My mom's van has Uniroyal Tiger Paw's and the ABS doesn't kick in with those...so how come with the Michelin's??? Cause they Suck. Period.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:04 PM
Fallen

Originally Posted by mlionel
I noticed that you said “it was little bit raining but no more than a light-rain, the road was reasonably wet..” Was that dry for long time before that rain? If it was, here is the problem. Also, over period of dry weather dust settles on the road. When the first rain starts and it’s not too heavy, water mixes up with dust and forms very slippery film, acts almost like oil. That can be washed off the center of road toward the side. Soft rubber tires grip better and, therefore it is less sensitive to a difference between the center and the side of the road in this condition. Your Michelins are quite hard; they don’t stick and would slide/spin easier.
Just my 0.02 ...
Ohh, I see what happened! Thank you for filling me up with a great information! Phew!
Old 06-17-2004, 08:49 PM
Racer

That is info from Driver's Ed 101. When there is a light drizzle after a few dry days, watch out! Any road with any tire is extra slippery! Its not only dust, but old rubber, and oils that accumulate on the surface.
Michellins are designed to be softer, not harder, than other tires. Case in point - I had a Taurus with MXV4's all around. Everyone thought my front tires were low on air all the time, but actually they were the same PSI all around. After those tires were done, I bought a cheapo Wal-mart brand. The tires, with the same pressure, looked even and the sidewalls didnt bulge.
The stock TL tires are more for touring, thus have a softer sidewall and better road comfort (noise, bumps, etc..) You lose agility.
The cheapo tires I meantioned before, sucked, and were hard as rocks. I felt every pebble on that road. But you get what you pay for.
Michellins are softer rubber.

Originally Posted by mlionel
Just my 0.02 ...
Old 06-17-2004, 08:52 PM
Drifting

You have to distinguish between sidewall softness and rubber compound.

Appearing low on air is a sidewall issue, not a rubber compound issue.

Softer tires stick better but have lower tread-life. Hard tires like the stock Michelins will last 60000 miles but they may as well be plastic!

I suppose it's possible that a Walmart brand is even harder but that's not saying much.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
At ~25-30K of use my Stock Michellins felt like they were buttered in the rain; absolutely terrible traction as they wear. Bought a good pair of Bridgestone Turanzas and couldn't be happier even with 35K on them now.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:21 AM
Instructor

i got dunlop fm901 245/45/17 they give great grip but low tire life
Old 06-18-2004, 09:41 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Originally Posted by sc354
Dude, don't even bother trying to use these stock michelins in Rain or Snow. I did, and it was hell on wheels. I switched to the Toyo T1-S, and even when it's torentially raining, I can get up to 130 km/h without any slipping. And also, I had to make an emergency stop a couple days ago on Bathurst while it was pouring rain at about 12:30am and I stopped a hell of a lot quicker than I expected, and the ABS only kicked in from 20-0...I went from like 100 to 20 in no time. The toyo's are a phonomenal tire but are definitely noisier than stock, but then again they probably will save ones life in a panic stop situation.

Get a new set of tires, a good all-season will be better than our michelins (Conti-Extreme Contacts, P Zero Nero) or get dedicated summer and winter tires like I did.

Just my .02!!!

Jeff your tires look like SUV treds |VVVVVV|, lol.. that's why they sound so loud, they for off roading lol, hope you can take a tease.

And he is asking about the Michlens tire not the Toyos. We all know you try to pimp out Toyo tires like they are paying you per km.. Plus you just put a set of crossdrilled and slotted i rotors on and new Green stuff pads on, don't you think that the brand new rotors and pads might have something to do with your stopping quickly?

And the ABS kicking in has to do with how hard the calipers "bite" the rotors. Not how much grip the tires have on the road. I think you are little confused on the ABS issue, you tried to tell Giovanni and myself that ABS only works below 40 km.

I would personally reccomend a visual inspection of each of the front tires, if they look identical, or not damaged. The problem might be, BIG might, be that the treads wear on your front tires are not even. I have yet to hear this as a problem when only one tire is replaced on the front of a FWD car. But it could be possible if you think about it. one tire having 30% tread wear vs the other tire with 100% tread wear.. The tires will actually be different sizes if one is brand new on one is a couple years old. The common practice for replacing tires would be to replace two at a time, either both front tires or both rear tires.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:23 PM
Fallen

Originally Posted by ResidualFreedom
I have yet to hear this as a problem when only one tire is replaced on the front of a FWD car. But it could be possible if you think about it. one tire having 30% tread wear vs the other tire with 100% tread wear.. The tires will actually be different sizes if one is brand new on one is a couple years old.
Thats what im talking about! I thought about the problem but my dealer told me that they did the whel alignment and all that BS. Would this include making thread wear equal for both tires?..

I really wanted to swap all of the 4 tires but the bill was already over $1000 for repair.. (Like i said before, Damn pot hole made a big dent and bubles on pessanger side wheel).. I couldn afford to get whole new shoes for my baby... instead I had to give it a new one for what hurts most....

Considering only right side was spinning... there is a possiblility ...