Noisey Windshield Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2001, 10:05 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Noisey Windshield Wipers

Just took the first long trip in my 2002 TLS and it rained most of the way. My windshield wipers are making a loud thud/bumping noise each time they change directions from left to right...even when on intermittent. Anyone else have this problem..and is there a fix?
Old 06-10-2001, 10:17 AM
Advanced

Thumbs down

Have exactly the same problem with my TL. I am not aware of any fix.

Hopefully some else does!!
Old 06-10-2001, 10:30 AM
Instructor

It hasnīt happened yet on my 02 TLS.. but I have less than 1k on it.. : )
I did however notice that noise from the wipers on a 01 CL loaner from the dealer. It had around 9k on it..Very annoying!
*swipe, clunk, swipe, clunk*

Old 06-10-2001, 10:58 AM
Instructor

Unhappy

Yep, I have that too. They clean well but make that cluncking noise.
Old 06-10-2001, 12:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Hmmm the wipers on my 2002 Tl-S are a million times quieter than on my Accord. Maybe theres too much tension on the wipers making them press too hard on the windshield??

I also use Rain-X which helps as I use the wipers alot less than before, I rarely use more than the slowest intermittent speed. In slower traffic I may use just intermittent. At nights in the highway, I dont use them at all.

------------------
Just call me..................Mr Hyde

TL Type-S Forum Moderator

02 Aegean Blue TL Type-S with Navi
Accord Forum Moderator/Honda-Acura.net
Old 06-10-2001, 01:27 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

I have noisy wipers, too...but come to think of it, if it cleans, it squeaks.... It's 2 rubber blades rubbing glass in front of you after all, right??

Try some Rain-X, they work very well!!

Andy Kuo

------------------
'92 Mercedes-Benz 400SE
Pearl Grey/Black

'02 Acura TL-S
Satin Silver/Ebony, w/out NAV
Old 06-10-2001, 02:34 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
A thunk is not a squeak - the thiunk is caused by the change in direction on these wipers - a squeak is the result of a resonance caused by slip-stick between the rubber and the glass.

The thunk was on my '99, 00. and the '02. The 02 is the best of the lot - the 00 was the worst. I did notice a difference in how far the wiper sweeps to the left - on the )), the noisiest, it went beyond 90 degress to the horizontal - perhaps to 100 degress. The 02 is 90 degrees - check your car, and if it is much off off 90, have the dealer adjust it.
Old 06-10-2001, 04:10 PM
Banned

My 2002 TL-S does this too. It's definitely a "thunk" as the wiper mechanism reaches the end of its travel and reverses (only on "up-strokes" it seems). I think I notice it only because my '97 Maxima SE doesn't make such a sound. But everything appears to work correctly.

Matt
Old 06-10-2001, 11:13 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by davest:
Yep, I have that too. They clean well but make that cluncking noise.
It may be a Honda-ism. Every Honda car I've been in has had the same problem.
Old 06-11-2001, 12:02 AM
Pro

Question

Windshield wipers? What are those for? We don't use them here is So Cal. Go Lakers!

------------------
'02 TL-S WDP/Parchment NAV
Old 06-11-2001, 01:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Hey Lonny,
You know, them thingies that you use to wipe the smog off your windshield! LOL

V.
Old 06-11-2001, 01:10 AM
Pro

Cool

Smog? We don't have smog any more. We sent it to Houston!

------------------
'02 TL-S WDP/Parchment NAV
Old 06-12-2001, 10:32 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm thinkin' mine are thunkin' too. At least, I think I thunk so.
Old 06-13-2001, 05:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by coosamtn:
Just took the first long trip in my 2002 TLS and it rained most of the way. My windshield wipers are making a loud thud/bumping noise each time they change directions from left to right...even when on intermittent. Anyone else have this problem..and is there a fix?
I use Zaino (kind of like a super Rain/X) on the windshield as well as the paint. I notice that the windshield wipers are very smooth.

There is a product by 303 that treats wipers to keep them really soft -- I can't guarantee it, but if you want to have a look, here is the link:
http://store.yahoo.com/autopia/303wiptreat.html

You shouldn't have this problem, but you may have some sticky stuff on the rubber of the wipers. Since I have the CL-S, I haven't heard about this happening on the CLs exactly as you described.

Bosch also makes a graphite impregnated wiper blade that glide over the glass! We had a related issue -- squeaking windshield blades, chattering, etc, and one of the members replaced his OEMs with them -- and highly recommended them. I'm going to give 'em a try, when the time comes.

Here is the link to the "Bosch Micro Edge Wiper Blades" page:

info -> http://www.mailbag.com/users/nosimport/bosch.htm

order -> http://www.autobarn.net/bosmicedwipb.html

(just a suggestion or three)
Old 10-06-2005, 06:41 PM
WNC Real Estate Sales99TL

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I had a 91 Accord and had to replace the wiper arm about one month before I bought the used Acura. There is a round plastic clip that rotate on a metal ball on the motor assembly. When the round plastic clip gets worn, the wipers will travel too far and become very noisy, then (as happend to me) they just quit working once the plastic clip wears through cause the rod falls off the motor assembly. Easy fit/junk yard used assembly for $20 and an hour of my cheap labor. Low and behold I buy an Acura with 38k on it and it's a repeat of the Accord noise and wiper traveling too far and hitting the edge of the window frame. I grew up driving my fathers 66 Thunderbird, which had wipers that were OIL pump pressure driven. No motor noise and they were REAL quiet. Guess I'm spoiled. Just hope the Acura doesn't fail like the Accord did in a bad rain storm. Had to drive home looking out the drivers side window! YUK!
Old 10-07-2005, 10:28 AM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by EricL
I use Zaino (kind of like a super Rain/X) on the windshield as well as the paint. I notice that the windshield wipers are very smooth.

There is a product by 303 that treats wipers to keep them really soft -- I can't guarantee it, but if you want to have a look, here is the link:
http://store.yahoo.com/autopia/303wiptreat.html

You shouldn't have this problem, but you may have some sticky stuff on the rubber of the wipers. Since I have the CL-S, I haven't heard about this happening on the CLs exactly as you described.

Bosch also makes a graphite impregnated wiper blade that glide over the glass! We had a related issue -- squeaking windshield blades, chattering, etc, and one of the members replaced his OEMs with them -- and highly recommended them. I'm going to give 'em a try, when the time comes.

Here is the link to the "Bosch Micro Edge Wiper Blades" page:

info -> http://www.mailbag.com/users/nosimport/bosch.htm

order -> http://www.autobarn.net/bosmicedwipb.html

(just a suggestion or three)

Very well put . That is exactly what fixed my problem. Either blades are dried or winshield is not smooth enough.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:43 AM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

It sometimes happen when you replace aftermarket wiper blades. Try putting different brand or OEM blades.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:24 PM
2010 TL SH-AWD

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by songoku
It sometimes happen when you replace aftermarket wiper blades. Try putting different brand or OEM blades.
Definitely use OEM blades from your dealer. I think most of the aftermarket blades are all season which is for snow ,ice ,dirt, etc. Reason is that the rubber will be much harder so it can sweep them off. As some said above, softer blades will be smooth.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:51 PM
Burning Brakes

I did a SEARCH on this awhile back since I suffer from the same problem. Aparently Luke7 is correct. It is caused by a defective design that wears or stretches causing the over travel. In addition, I think I read something like a Jackson for parts and if mechanically inclined, an easy DIY fix. I just have the problem that I always remember about it when it is raining, and by then...

Originally Posted by Luke7
I had a 91 Accord and had to replace the wiper arm about one month before I bought the used Acura. There is a round plastic clip that rotate on a metal ball on the motor assembly. When the round plastic clip gets worn, the wipers will travel too far and become very noisy, then (as happend to me) they just quit working once the plastic clip wears through cause the rod falls off the motor assembly. Easy fit/junk yard used assembly for $20 and an hour of my cheap labor. Low and behold I buy an Acura with 38k on it and it's a repeat of the Accord noise and wiper traveling too far and hitting the edge of the window frame. I grew up driving my fathers 66 Thunderbird, which had wipers that were OIL pump pressure driven. No motor noise and they were REAL quiet. Guess I'm spoiled. Just hope the Acura doesn't fail like the Accord did in a bad rain storm. Had to drive home looking out the drivers side window! YUK!
Old 10-08-2005, 06:27 AM

NOTE:
The new replacement rods for my Accord were around $25 a piece. You just access the motor/wiper assembly and pull them off and snap a new one on. This would fix most noisy wiper problems if it isn't the blade. But I'm not sure if the Acura is the same design!
Old 10-08-2005, 07:15 AM
極品インスパイア32V

Anyone here tried PIAA wiper blades?
any comments on that ?
Old 10-25-2005, 09:15 AM
2014 Jeep SRT

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by Luke7
NOTE:
The new replacement rods for my Accord were around $25 a piece. You just access the motor/wiper assembly and pull them off and snap a new one on. This would fix most noisy wiper problems if it isn't the blade. But I'm not sure if the Acura is the same design!
Here is a picture of the TL's wiper assembly...which parts are the ones you're talking about that are causing the over-traveling arms?

Old 12-10-2005, 08:35 PM

Sorry for the delay # 11 and #12 Rods. There are plastic clips on the end of the rods. They wear out. They just snap on and off. The fun part is getting to them.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:12 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

4.5 year old thread.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:19 PM
8th Gear

i had the same problem with my 99 tl i just bend the arm a little of the glass and the noise went away i think it was like to much pressure on the glass
Old 12-18-2005, 11:28 PM
3rd Gear

Question Wiper Motor or Arm Problem?

My 1999 TL's blades are thumping so hard I've got to do something. I've read this thread & now wonder if I might be able to fix it. The only thing I wonder is could it be the wiper motor or just the clips everyone talks about. The blades seem to travel random distances - sometimes the blade travel travels the full swing & thunks on the edge of the windshield or travels 3/4 the way up & hits the base near the hood. Anyone experience an erratic wiper travel like this?
Old 12-19-2005, 05:45 AM

Check the clips/you have to replace the wiper arms. Acura/Honda doesn't sell just the clips. Easy fix after you access the arms. Let me know how it goes, since I'll be one of the next people to do the same thing. Mine are getting worse and starting to travel too far. Mine were also inconsistant on my Accord. Sometimes they would work ok but, but when traveling down the highway when the wind was pushing the wipers further, they would really bang on the edge of the drivers side window frame. At low speeds around town they worked fine. It will only get worse as the clips wear more. At some un-opertune time the clip will fail and the arm will pop off. Then you'll be driving with your head out the window wishing you would have fixed them.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:03 PM
B93P TL Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Had a similar issue about two years ago before I purchased a transmission "scissor" assembly from a junkyard (items #11 and #12 on diagram shown earlier in thread). A little challenging to get to, took me all of about an hour to do the job. Haven't had one problem since.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...issor+assembly

By the way, just replaced my blades with Boschs. Extremely quiet!!
Old 12-20-2005, 05:12 PM
B93P TL Owner

Originally Posted by rjkowalski
My 1999 TL's blades are thumping so hard I've got to do something. I've read this thread & now wonder if I might be able to fix it. The only thing I wonder is could it be the wiper motor or just the clips everyone talks about. The blades seem to travel random distances - sometimes the blade travel travels the full swing & thunks on the edge of the windshield or travels 3/4 the way up & hits the base near the hood. Anyone experience an erratic wiper travel like this?

Motor is fine, just replace the rod linkage (items #11 and #12) u see in the diagram and that will remove the slop you are getting.

P.S. I refer to the rod linkage as "scissors" because that is exactly what they resemble put together. It comes as one assembly, I may have paid $20 for the part from the junkyard.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:21 PM
3rd Gear

Wiper Rods

I'll try hunting down the #11 & #12 rod assembly & then figure out how to get to it.

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-15-2006, 01:13 AM
3rd Gear

Wiper Assembly Part Identification

I've gone to 2 Acura parts stores so far & neither person I've talked to had seen this problem & was unsure of what part to order. Do I need the whole scissor assembly (11 & 12) or parts #8 & 9. The low cost on some of these postings leads me to believe it's not the entire linkage. If anybody out there has fixed the erratic wiper sweep problem, I'd love to find out exactly what parts wore down & needed replacement.
Thanks!
Old 01-15-2006, 04:16 AM
NiGhT rIdEr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rjkowalski
I've gone to 2 Acura parts stores so far & neither person I've talked to had seen this problem & was unsure of what part to order. Do I need the whole scissor assembly (11 & 12) or parts #8 & 9. The low cost on some of these postings leads me to believe it's not the entire linkage. If anybody out there has fixed the erratic wiper sweep problem, I'd love to find out exactly what parts wore down & needed replacement.
Thanks!
thats what i wanna know....i need the part # cause my whipers are gettin on my nerves!!!!!!!!!!!
they are so loud, i hate putting them on!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2006, 04:24 AM
NiGhT rIdEr

Originally Posted by bkzjimmy
thats what i wanna know....i need the part # cause my whipers are gettin on my nerves!!!!!!!!!!!
oh.....is there a DIY or do i have to take it to the dealer??????
Old 01-15-2006, 04:45 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

Originally Posted by bkzjimmy
i need the part # cause my whipers are gettin on my nerves!!!!!!!!!!!
oh.....is there a DIY or do i have to take it to the dealer??????
anyone?
Old 01-16-2006, 11:36 AM
B93P TL Owner

76530-SOK-A01 is the part number of the linkage assembly. This is the part I was able to get from a junkyard about two years ago for about $40, and it included both rod units (Parts #11 and #12).

On a scale of 1 to 5, I would give it a difficulty level of 2. If you can change brakes, then you should be able to do this job as well. I don't believe there is a DIY out there. Basically you have to remove the wiper arms, then carefully pop out the plastic caps on the plastic cover thingy that hides the linkage assembly and the motor. Take off this plastic shield and you will see everything. You can pretty much look at the new part and be able to tell how to get the old one off. Took me about an hour and a half to do the job, but it only took that long because I didn't know what I was doing initially. If I had to do it again it would take under an hour.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:09 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

Originally Posted by mdavisii
76530-SOK-A01 is the part number of the linkage assembly. This is the part I was able to get from a junkyard about two years ago for about $40, and it included both rod units (Parts #11 and #12).

On a scale of 1 to 5, I would give it a difficulty level of 2. If you can change brakes, then you should be able to do this job as well. I don't believe there is a DIY out there. Basically you have to remove the wiper arms, then carefully pop out the plastic caps on the plastic cover thingy that hides the linkage assembly and the motor. Take off this plastic shield and you will see everything. You can pretty much look at the new part and be able to tell how to get the old one off. Took me about an hour and a half to do the job, but it only took that long because I didn't know what I was doing initially. If I had to do it again it would take under an hour.
thanx for the info
Old 01-16-2006, 01:27 PM
B93P TL Owner

Not a problem. If you have any questions with the installation feel free to PM me.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:55 PM
1st Gear

After reading Luke 7 I browsed around and found that Advance Auto has the plastic bushings for $8. I have two 99 Acura TL's with worn out linkage clips that I ordered. Hope it solves it. Good cars, except wipers.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:01 PM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
Holy thread revival
Old 12-12-2010, 07:07 PM
MechEng

Received 486 Likes on 403 Posts
at least we know someone is using the search function

Quick Reply: Noisey Windshield Wipers