No Navi? Here's A Solution

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 05:10 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Navi? Here's A Solution

When I got my 2000 I wanted the Navi, but I couldn't find one in a White Diamond Pearl. The color was more important to me than the navi system at that time so I went without the navi. A few months back my brother's friend bought the color Garmin Street Pilot for his SUV and I knew that would be the ticket for my TL.

The "installation" is perfect for the TL w/o a navi. I put the unit on that in dash cd holder using it as a shelf and keep all the wiring and speaker inside the arm rest.

I have found this to be an almost perfect solution to not having the factory installed navi.

It also has a few other pluses..

1) Cheaper to buy and software is also cheaper
2) More accurate than factory navi
3) Portable. I can use it in my other car and take it with me on vacation

If anyone is interested, I can post pics of the "installation"
Old 01-10-2003, 06:25 PM
Banned

post pics!
Old 01-10-2003, 08:04 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes, Please post pics and details.
Old 01-10-2003, 09:51 PM
Burning Brakes

yup, please do!
Old 01-11-2003, 06:50 AM
FvCK KNvCKLE

I agree with adam2000tl. After LOVING the NAV in my CL-S, and after seeing the wife a bit jealous of the convenience. I wanted to get something for her JGC LTD. I was looking at some of the in dash units, but decided to get the Garmin Street Pilot III.

A really good friend had one (slightly used) that he was selling, and so I snatched it up.

The SPIII has voice prompts as well. (I don't think the the StreetPilot ColorMap does) Although the speaker is built into the 12v power adapter, and has no volume control. It's still pretty easy to hear. Granted that any NAV system is going to be hard to hear with the radio up. Even the Acura system can be hard to hear if the radio is turned up. Since it only mutes the front speakers, the rears can be too loud and washout the voice prompts.

About the only things that the OEM NAV has over the Garmin SPIII is the touch screen, and the screen size itself. The Garmin requires a "scroll and select" type of alphanumeric input. The Garmin's screen is very clear, very sharp, and it "zooms" (like the OEM) when an upcoming turn or direction change is coming, so it's just as easy to see as the OEM NAV imho. The Garmin also has a little bit slower processor, so it takes a little longer to calculate your trip.

Like Adam said, the unit can be moved from car to car, or boat, or... due to the fact that it can work on batteries, can be handheld. The SPIII can use any of the Garmin mapping cds. They have a nautical set that you can program into the unit if you want to use it on your boat.

Their MapSource cd contains all of the U.S. and Canada. It's far more detailed than the OEM data. The maps are broken into regions, 7 I think, which you activate for a fee. Like most of the Midwest is one region. I think the "activation" fee is $120 or so. You can activate one or more regions at that $120 a crack, or just activate the entire thing for something like $275.

One of the things that I really like about the Garmin is it's trip computer. You reset it at the start of the trip, and it will tell you your speed, heading, and miles driven. Plus it keeps track of top speed, average speed, time moving, time stopped, and total time.

You connect the unit, or the included card reader, to your computer, bring up the mapping software, and select the areas you want loaded. The area's are broken into chunks, it looks like they are based on population/mapping density. You can only load so much onto the card (depending on the card's size) for use with the unit. Like... I can load all of northern Michigan, and the Upper Peninsula. In contrast I can only load the 3 major counties that make up Metro Detroit, and possibly Toledo. I would opt for the 128Meg card. If you are taking a long trip you can always bring your laptop, and load the next day's driving data as needed. You can also download all saved "waypoints" (previous destinations) to your computer. As well as plan the next day's trip, including site seeing stops, or destinations, on the laptop, and then dump it to the Garmin.

The Garmin is really accurate as well. It seems to do a better job of real time destination information. Like time of arrival, and miles to destination. It's constantly updating its calculation based on distance traveled, distance left, and speed. I find that it is within a minute of arrival time, all the time.

Sorry about the length of this. I Just thought I would share my experience with this thing. Does it look as nice as the OEM? NO... The OEM is integrated and has a very slick appearance. The Garmin is fantastic, and looks great in it's own right, if you don't mind the box sitting up on your dashboard.
Old 01-11-2003, 10:48 AM
Advanced

Rock are you a Garmin salesman

Originally posted by Rock Dog

...Although the speaker is built into the 12v power adapter, and has no volume control. It's still pretty easy to hear.
Seriously, Rock definitely hit all the strong and weak points about the Garmin SPIII except that you can control the volume. Simply hold the speak button for a few seconds until the volume control comes up.

As far as accuracy is concerned, the Garmin is deadly. My uncle has a 2001 TL with navi and the Garmin unit consistently nails the location within 100 feet while the TL navi does seem to wander a bit.

Funny story: Last year my great aunt died and the funeral was about 50 miles from here in a town that I've never been to. The Garmin got me there with no problems at all. My uncle (TL navi) was late because he got lost :

I'm not sure who makes the factory navi, but I'm pretty sure it's not Garmin technology. Garmin is the first name in sat nav. You will actually see Garmin units as OEM equipment in airplanes and boats.

I will post some pics in a few minutes...
Old 01-11-2003, 11:39 AM
Advanced

Here are couple of pics...

Garmin SPIII on the cd tray...
The rubber footing on the unit holds it firmly on the tray

Garmin SPIII hookup inside arm rest
*There is only one cable needed. The second cord (top) is for my cell phone.
The speaker is integrated in the 12v DC adapter

Old 01-11-2003, 08:07 PM
Suzuka Master

looks good...i think everyone who didn't get the navi should do this...
Old 01-11-2003, 08:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
how much did u pay for that??? i am seriously looking to get one now...
Old 01-11-2003, 11:03 PM
Advanced

The retail on the Garmin SPIII is $999.00, but it can be gotten for about $750.00. Make sure you get the deluxe version which includes a 128 MB data card (you will need it)

Plenty of them on eBay. Here's one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1950985234
Old 01-12-2003, 10:47 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Adam, I did a similar installation using my StreetPilot last year. I think I prefer my tray setup however.

I bought a spare tray and modified it to accommodate the GPS base. My setup allows me to have the GPS installed with the tray actually in as opposed to being out like yours.

I would post pictures but seems like i cant for some reasons. If you send me your email address, I will email them to you and you can post them if you like it.

Cheers
Old 01-12-2003, 11:21 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Rock,

Thanks for the update. While I have a Nav in my '01 TL, my wife's '98 Toyota Land Cruiser does not, and she needs one more than I!

Any custom installation I've looked into has costs upwards of $2,500 - $3,000. I came close to buying this unit, but I hadn't heard any real word experiences, and $750 is still a lot of money if it doesn't work well.

You're info helped a lot.

BTW, the Acura Nav unit is made by Alpine.
Old 01-12-2003, 06:16 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Here are some pics from retiree's install that he e-mailed me...
Old 01-12-2003, 06:17 PM
Racer

More...
Old 01-12-2003, 06:17 PM
Racer

Slick...
Old 01-12-2003, 06:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Nice job, Retiree! You've got me thinking about installing one of these. The way you've got it make much sense. How much does an extra CD tray cost?

I will try never again to buy a car without navi.
Old 01-12-2003, 07:36 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My CD tray cost me 19 Dollars canadian, that would be about 2 dollars in your case

I may modify my tray yet to add a 12 volts pack or a connector so I dont have to plug the GPS in the car outlets.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:38 PM
Racer

damn this looks really neat..
yea for my next car it better come w/ navi but in Canada we dun use Navi much...oh well that's why the new accord and all of the TL's up here dun have navi
Old 01-13-2003, 11:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Wait a second, how come he has a nice cd holder and I have a useless paper holder???
Old 01-14-2003, 10:08 AM
FvCK KNvCKLE

Originally posted by adam2000TL
Rock are you a Garmin salesman

Seriously, Rock definitely hit all the strong and weak points about the Garmin SPIII except that you can control the volume. Simply hold the speak button for a few seconds until the volume control comes up.

As far as accuracy is concerned, the Garmin is deadly. My uncle has a 2001 TL with navi and the Garmin unit consistently nails the location within 100 feet while the TL navi does seem to wander a bit.

Funny story: Last year my great aunt died and the funeral was about 50 miles from here in a town that I've never been to. The Garmin got me there with no problems at all. My uncle (TL navi) was late because he got lost :

I'm not sure who makes the factory navi, but I'm pretty sure it's not Garmin technology. Garmin is the first name in sat nav. You will actually see Garmin units as OEM equipment in airplanes and boats.

I will post some pics in a few minutes...
Nah! Not A Garmin rep. I just believe in telling folks about a product if it's good or bad. I appreciate anyone who gives me an objective, non-biased view. It may sound like I'm rep'ing it. But there is really not much to find wrong with it. It's a very well engineered, designed and manufactured product. I think the Garmin SPIII is probably the best value going in the NAV market, as long as you don't mind the look of the little box being on the dash, or where some of you guys installed it.

Adam, the volume can be adjusted? :wow: How did I miss that. Thanks a lot for that tidbit. :worship:
Old 01-14-2003, 10:14 AM
FvCK KNvCKLE

As an aside. DaimlerChrysler is going to use the same NAV as Acura in their 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The 3 main differences, I know of so far.

The screen is in the middle of the speedo.

No touch screen. It's a scroll and select alphanumeric input.

Has selectable male or female voices, that sound more natural.