No More Type-S?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 01:23 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No More Type-S?

As far as 03 TL's, I see way more "Type S" TL's on the road in Southern California. And now they won't be making a 04 Type S???

There are two distinct TL drivers:

1) The retired couple is their normal TL.

2) The performance minded 30ish professional who found a great bang for the buck performance sedan.

If they do eliminate the Type -S, the end result better look alot better than this concept TL we are now seeing.

The Type-S is a great example of what a few changes can do to an aging sedan. I still laugh when some young 18 year old says, "hot car!" Don't drop it Acura. Please us all!!!
Old 04-16-2003, 01:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Well, it's way to early to tell for sure... but it looks like they're just going to move the TL up in power and performance and just call it a TL. Rumor also has it that items like 18" rims/tires, etc. may be offered as factory options.... so while there may not be a Type-S per say.... there will be options available to make it more sporty. Works for me... and I'm sure they'll have much sucess whichever way they go.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:30 PM
Instructor

I don't think we know the long term strategy, but initially there won't be a Type S, just like the 99 TL did not have a type S right away. Other companies like BMW don't put out their performance version in the first year either. It comes out 2-3 years after launch.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:38 PM
Advanced

That's true... but the performance models from BMW and Mercedes don't wait only for full model make-overs to upgrade their engines and performance specs. Plus, these are the best of the bunch. Acura wants to play in this field. I just wish they would step up. Can they really lose that year or two without such a hot model? I guess we will all know when the real TL comes out and we know what's under the hood.
Old 04-16-2003, 03:42 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
It is very likely that every '04 TL is a Type-S. The J35 or even the Maxima are now all packed with the 255 hp engines. The V6 Accord has 240 hp. So the '04 TL's must have at least 260 hp.
Old 04-16-2003, 03:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally posted by Edward'TLS
So the '04 TL's must have at least 260 hp.
Well, it's almost 100% solid that it will have around 280hp. No official word yet... but all of the rumors point that way. What isn't clear is if the engine is a 3.2 or a 3.5 liter..... so it will be faster then the current Type-S... which is why I don't think there will be an actual Type-S model (at least this year). They don't need one.
Old 04-16-2003, 04:11 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by juniorbean

Well, it's almost 100% solid that it will have around 280hp. No official word yet... but all of the rumors point that way. What isn't clear is if the engine is a 3.2 or a 3.5 liter..... so it will be faster then the current Type-S... which is why I don't think there will be an actual Type-S model (at least this year). They don't need one.
I'm very confused, and just want to know if there is an official event or date where the public will know about the 04 TL production specs. That would be pretty cool if that sucker had 280hp under the hood, but this car needs improvement in some other areas.

To be frank, I would hope Acura would make a more efficient transmission that didn't lose 23% of the engine's HP due to it's transmission. I got that "ballpark" number by dividing 260hp (flywheel) by 60hp (difference between flywheel hp and hp at the wheel).

Don't BMWs and Audis have more efficient transmissions? Now that I am posting this I am not all that sure of this assumption.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:01 PM
Drifting

yea i hope u guys buy the 04 tls so that i can buy your 02-03 tl-S.

lol haha
Old 04-16-2003, 06:11 PM
Drifting

well if the 04 tl is gonna have 280hp...a type-s would have to have more...and do you really need that much hp in a front drive car....torque steer will be crazy...i think thats one of tehre reasons for not having a type-s...cause they relaly cant put any more power in it...
Old 04-16-2003, 06:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: No More Type-S?

Originally posted by ntls
As far as 03 TL's, I see way more "Type S" TL's on the road in Southern California. And now they won't be making a 04 Type S???

2) The performance minded 30ish professional who found a great bang for the buck performance sedan.

If they do eliminate the Type -S, the end result better look alot better than this concept TL we are now seeing.

The Type-S is a great example of what a few changes can do to an aging sedan. I still laugh when some young 18 year old says, "hot car!" Don't drop it Acura. Please us all!!!
How about the student who's in their teens in the S?
Old 04-16-2003, 08:10 PM
Instructor

The major factor that influenced me to buy the Type-S instead of the regular TL is the 260 HP engine. As long as Acura puts an engine that out performed its competitions, removing the Type-S badge is not a big deal to me.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:42 PM
Instructor

Re: No More Type-S?

Originally posted by ntls

I think every TL that I see, whether it's a TL or TL-S, the average age of the person driving it is about 50. I see way to many people driving a VW Maybe it's just the area I live in.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:40 PM
vtec, yo. lol

It is very likely that every '04 TL is a Type-S. The J35 or even the Maxima are now all packed with the 255 hp engines.
well....all the maxima trims in the same model year have the same engines specs and there is no higher performance maxima (unless u get a manual of course)

G35 just came out and has only had 1 model year and yet again, same engine in all of their 2 model trims.

Don't BMWs and Audis have more efficient transmissions? Now that I am posting this I am not all that sure of this assumption.
it's not that BMW's have more efficient trannys...it's just that they more likely under rate their engines compared to our japanese cars. Basically horsepower doesn't sell their cars.