no dyno results for icebox!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 10:50 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no dyno results for icebox!

hey guys everyone has been talking bout the icebox but if you notice their arent any dyno results and thats all that matters. if u ask me i THINK it wont give u as much gains as the AEM or even injen. please let me know what you guys think before i go out and buy the wrong intake

**if their are dyno results please post them**
Old 03-07-2003, 11:23 AM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: no dyno results for icebox!

Originally posted by xlegend25x
hey guys everyone has been talking bout the icebox but if you notice their arent any dyno results and thats all that matters. if u ask me i THINK it wont give u as much gains as the AEM or even injen. please let me know what you guys think before i go out and buy the wrong intake

**if their are dyno results please post them**
I think you will be surprised.

looking at the design and my experience, I would have placed my bet on the Icebox.

Especially in hotter weather.

We've had a few guys install them and some are working on Dyno as soon as possible.

So hang in there.

ruf
Old 03-07-2003, 11:50 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Here's a link for Comptech's dyno for just he Icebox, albeit a Cl-S type s...
http://www.comptechusa.com/images/dy...spd_icebox.pdf

Claims 14hp max gain at 6k rpm and 12 or so in torque gains at 3.4k rpm...
The supposed benefit is the torque gains occur much sooner in the rev line than the CAI's and as said above, in warmer weather the benefits should be greater as well...

I got the Injen as the sound of it sold me over anything else...I love it!!!
Old 03-07-2003, 11:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Head over to acura-cl.com. No dyno results yet (other then Comptech's), but people with just the Icebox are beating other members that have headers. The gains are there... and you'll see some dynos soon.. and then you'll see that the gains are slightly better on the Icebox....
Old 03-07-2003, 12:12 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by juniorbean
Head over to acura-cl.com. No dyno results yet (other then Comptech's), but people with just the Icebox are beating other members that have headers. The gains are there... and you'll see some dynos soon.. and then you'll see that the gains are slightly better on the Icebox....
True True.

When you look closely at the 2 dynos, the CLS 6-speed result, and the CT Headers you'll see it. If you know what you are looking for.

While the headers produce more gross HP at the upper RPM end, it also produces less at the lower end. And in some cases the headers have a negative effect.

The Icebox on the other hand has a positive effect from the instant you hit the gas, and goes all the way to redline.

So the net result is that the Icebox produces a broader increase in power. For this reason it is beating folks with headers. By time the header car get to where it's making better HP than the Icebox, it's playing catch-up. And in a 1/4 mile race you won't catch them in time, unless you have a lot more HP than the other guy.

Ruf
Old 03-07-2003, 04:25 PM
Instructor

do the icebox and headers cancel each other out (like weed + booze) or do they complement each other over the full range for an intoxicating ride to nirvana (like e and h)????
Old 03-07-2003, 06:25 PM
HELP!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i read somewhere that the icebox will not give as much gains as the AEM CAI will. I may be wrong though. Guess we'll just have to wait til those dynos come in.
Old 03-13-2003, 04:05 PM
Intermediate

+
Old 03-13-2003, 08:05 PM
Racer

all of you crack me up...14 peak hp is so small that most people won't be able to feel it. It's going to be the pacebo affect mixed with the "I just spent $270 on this thing so I want to feel the difference" Yes it will add hp, but to really feel the difference, it has to be on the order of 15% more power. 14 hp is 5%...I doubt you will feel it. But I don't doubt the power will be there and that you will see a tenth come off your 1/4 and a little higer trap speed as well. When you are saying AEM vs Comptec vs Injen etc, you are talking a difference of a few hp...not so much.

I think that the comptech will be good. It's the only design with heat shielding...this is an important and often over looked part. Would be interesting if someone just monitored intake air temps with different intake systems.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:25 AM
lover and fighter

Ray_Khan, if have to disagree in that some people are overly sensitive to motion, vibrations, noise. etc. and will tell the differemce easily...I can pick out a new rattle in my car in a flash, could instantly tell the difference in header install, cai and even that borderline waste of a Neuspeed strut bar...I can even smell a woman from 10ft away when she is on her peri--oops...
Point is, we are all different, but you are right in that most people won't feel it but could see it at the track...

My question is--I've seen the Injen bolt on heat shield thing for $60--think that is a waste of money? Think it does some small reduction to the cai's potential gains in general?
Old 03-14-2003, 01:52 PM
Racer

r10apple

I don't doubt that you can feel the difference if you say so, but Imy guess is that the majority of people can't. And of those who say they can, a good portion are fooled by the aforementioned placebo affect from spending money on a mod. Even dynoing the car is kind of silly in that you won't get the same numbers exactly if you dyno the same car twice in a row. Let alone if you change the air box. You will definitely see a fluctuation of a few hp. So when dynoing to determine what an intake adds, if you measure +14 hp...it might be +20...but it might only be +8.

With that said, heat shields are very important. The whole idea of a cold air intake is to take in colder air (duh!), cold air= power. Even a thin aluminum heat shield does more than you can imagine to reduce intake temps. Even when you feel the heat shield and it's red hot, too hot to touch, the intake on the other side should be the same temp as ambient air. For $60 if it's a perfect fit, maybe it's worth it. But I tend to make my own...home depot is a great place for these little projects. This route might not be for eveyone, but it's cheaper and I enjoy little projects like this. I'm making an intake/heat shireld setup for my A4 right now...cone filter $45, heat shield materials $13, tiem spent....maybe 2 hours.

As for the smelling a woman part....not sure if I'm jealous or not...will have to think about that one and get back to you.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:36 PM
lover and fighter

I might just make my own now that you say that...The Injen one looks decent, but you really can't see it for where it is supposed to sit...
And as far as my schnoz is concerned, sometimes it can be a curse in a crowded place!