Newbie Headlight Post - What to purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 11:29 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie Headlight Post - What to purchase

Ok, this will sound completely moronic to those of you who really know cars...and probably to those of you who don't! But, here goes.

As I was driving home last night I noticed that the right side of the road was bright as can be but the left side was definitely dimmer. Now pay attention to that fact.

When I pulled up behind a black truck, I could see in the reflection that my left headlight was nice and bright but that the right headlight appeared dim. This with only the lowbeams on.

What's bizarre to me is this...how can the right side of the road be brighter than the left when it appears that my right headlight is the one that is dim?!

I know NOTHING about these headlights but when I looked closely I can see one light for the lowbeams, is that correct?

That said, when I got down to eye level with the headlights at home, it almost appeared as though I had two lights in the right side and one in the left. I know I don't, I know this is just reflection, but it makes me wonder if something is up with how they are set or pointed or something.

I know this is a confusing post but just think how I feel, lol! When I called Napa about a replacement they said they don't even show any lowbeam lights for the TL.

Sigh. Any help?

Clueless in Austin
Old 06-05-2008, 11:42 AM
OM NOM NOM NOM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if your car is has HIDs for headlights, thats a pretty common thing. Now if you go outside and stand in front of each hid, and you notice a difference, maybe one of your HIDs has a lower output rate because it's gotten older and is more broken in. if thats true, then the next step is to replace your HIDs, but maybe the gurus can chime in on that one for you.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Advanced

OK, thank you, at least I'm not completely crazy. I hear it's better to replace them in pairs so I'll just get on the hunt for a replacement set.

On to the high beams...they are definitely not HID from what I can tell. They look just like our other car's headlights...the normal yellow-tinged lighting. Should I replace those as well or is that normal?

Thanks and I'm sure these are easy questions for most!
Old 06-05-2008, 11:47 AM
I have dead hookers in

Napa wont show any bulbs due to the fact that our lowbeams are HID. but usually the right side of the car the headlight is a little dimmer or just pointed differently so you do not blind oncoming traffic i think it is just a little dimmer somehow not sure how it works but if you pay close attention to other vehicles on the road you will se what i am talking about. the drivers side is or appears to be dimmer and i am sure there is a technical reason to this i just dont know it but your lights are fine.

here is a standard bulb this is the bulb that is in your highbeams

here is an HID bulb so you can see the difference and this is what you have in your low beams and are avaliable at the dealership and on the internet but not sure about autoparts stores.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:03 PM
Advanced

Thank you! This certainly helps. From far away it looks as though one of my headlights is out and I'm just driving with my highbeams on. Do you know what I mean? In days past, if I had a headlight out, I'd temporarily drive with my highs on so that both sides had light. One was super bright and the other was dim (obviously). That is what this looks like but I don't have my highs on.

Perhaps a replacement is unnecessary as both lights are on and look bright to me, I'm just wondering if they are set wrong or pointed differently. Maybe buying a new set of bulbs isn't the answer...perhaps I should just try to reset these??

If I do need to buy new lamps, I'm clueless as to what to buy...are the 5000K that this group offers ok?

http://www.plasmagarage.com/XENON-bulbs.html
Old 06-05-2008, 12:22 PM
I have dead hookers in

see if you can find some that are 4300. the HIDs go on a scale from i believe 3000-12000. the catch is that the higher the number the brighter but the higher the number also gives you less light output. I believe the stock HIDs are 4300. you can do a search here and there are alot of people that have gone to a higher number and have pictures. you can also go to LOWES they usually have a display that will show you the difference. its hard to tell really what you mean. try taking a picture of it and posting it on here so we can see it and maybe we can figure out if you have a problem or not man.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:02 PM
Advanced

Here are some photos to demonstrate what I mean. The shots aren't great but I'm outside at night without a flash while staring right into headlights...not the best photo setting.

PHOTO 1: It might be difficult to tell, but you should be able to notice how the right side of the car is brighter than the left even though as you'll see later, it looks as though the lights on that side are dimmer!

PHOTO 2: I took this picture while standing...all looks normal.

PHOTO 3: I took this picture while kneeling to be level with the headlights. You can really see what I mean here.

Looking into the headlamp assembly both bulbs seem to be just as bright as the other one which leads me to believe that I have something else going on here. Just thought I'd see about some opinions.

Thank you!
Old 06-05-2008, 10:22 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
You need to realign it. There is a place you can screw/unscrew to change the direction the light is pointing.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:40 PM
Advanced

Ok, but which side am I realigning? I'm assuming the one on the right as you're looking at the photo...the brighter one. But I want to make sure.

And you said, "There is a place you can screw/unscrew to change the direction the light is pointing."

Where is this...place?
Old 06-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Advanced

All the manual says is to take it to the dealer to get the headlights realigned. Can someone clue me in as to where this "place" is?

Any clues?
Old 06-06-2008, 02:22 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 348 Likes on 291 Posts
its really easy to realign your headlights yourself.. i kno somebody has a pic of where to reach to to get it realigned.

park up against a wall but not close and such and such. its really easy.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:11 PM
Advanced

"i know somebody has a pic of where to reach to to get it realigned."

Any idea who this somebody is?

So far I'm told there's "a place" and that "somebody has a pic", lol.

Appreciate the help, I really do!
Old 06-06-2008, 05:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Pop your hood and look at the plastic above the headlight. You will see a arrow with a U and D. Place a socket on it and turn it the direction needed to bring it down.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:43 PM
Advanced

Wow, that IS easy, lol.

Now by socket, do you mean a light socket?

Kidding, I'm not THAT much of a noob.

Thanks all!
Old 06-07-2008, 02:41 AM
Something is missing...my

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You want to be sure that the to the left the beam is not traveling level, but at a bit of a downward angle, so as to not blind oncoming traffic. Get your left one to the right (proper) level, and then match the left side of the beam for the Rt light with it. You can cover the light you are not working on for the big adjustments and then when close, uncover, observe, cover, adjust, uncover, observe, etc. until you get it perfect.