New tranny info from Acura

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 06:39 PM
l33t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post New tranny info from Acura

I talked with my service manager today at my dealership, who is also a close personal friend. He said in October, Acura service had a meeting about the new manufacturers for the trannys. They were supposed to have 2 new ones ready to launch January 1st. I guess it came down the line the other day that it was dropped to just one. He said the new guys making the trannys are much better than the last guys and should be able to keep up with the demand of the replacement trannys. So i know you guys have talked about the fact Acura hasnt fixed the problem yet, and that some of you have swapped the tranny 2, 3, or even 4 times, but your getting the same tranny! The guys that have the failures after january will be the lucky ones, as they will get the new stock in their TL's and CL's. I consider my guy a very reliable source, and have no doubt from a logical point of view that Acura will be swapping tranny plants in January. Hopefully you new TL and CL owners out there will be able to last until then...

-Shear
Old 12-11-2002, 07:56 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: New tranny info from Acura

Originally posted by Darkshear
I talked with my service manager today at my dealership, who is also a close personal friend. He said in October, Acura service had a meeting about the new manufacturers for the trannys. They were supposed to have 2 new ones ready to launch January 1st. I guess it came down the line the other day that it was dropped to just one. He said the new guys making the trannys are much better than the last guys and should be able to keep up with the demand of the replacement trannys. So i know you guys have talked about the fact Acura hasnt fixed the problem yet, and that some of you have swapped the tranny 2, 3, or even 4 times, but your getting the same tranny! The guys that have the failures after january will be the lucky ones, as they will get the new stock in their TL's and CL's. I consider my guy a very reliable source, and have no doubt from a logical point of view that Acura will be swapping tranny plants in January. Hopefully you new TL and CL owners out there will be able to last until then...

-Shear
the guy I work with just had his tranny blow and they are replaceing it on thursday. Teh yare telling him that this will be a "new" tranny...
Old 12-12-2002, 01:44 AM
l33t

well it is a "new" tranny, but it wont be the "revised" tranny till Jan... they cant put a rebuilt tranny in cause its aginst the law not that you could find a rebuilt one for an '02-'03 neway
Old 12-12-2002, 02:00 AM
Having Fun?

well it is a "new" tranny, but it wont be the "revised" tranny till Jan... they cant put a rebuilt tranny in cause its aginst the law not that you could find a rebuilt one for an '02-'03 neway
No one is getting 'new' transmissions, they are all remanufactured units.
Old 12-12-2002, 06:47 AM
Burning Brakes

they cant put a rebuilt tranny in cause its aginst the law
Not true. Remanufactured parts cannot be advertised as new, but there's nothing keeping Acura from using reman units for warranty. In fact, they'd be stupid not to, from a business point of view.
Old 12-12-2002, 07:50 AM
10th Gear

Does this mean that brand new TL's (ie. 2003) will have this new tranny? Also have the problems been corrected on this new tranny?
Old 12-12-2002, 08:28 AM
Instructor

Re: Re: New tranny info from Acura

I asked the service guy today if my new transmission is a new one or rebuilt. He said it was rebuilt with the new redesigned part. I'm not sure if I believe it.
Originally posted by y2ks2k

the guy I work with just had his tranny blow and they are replaceing it on thursday. Teh yare telling him that this will be a "new" tranny...
Old 12-12-2002, 09:21 AM

I think my tranny is going. I felt it kinda stutter today didnt feel good. When I was slowing down. When it shifted from 2nd to 1st. What should I do when it goes? I dont want a rebuildable tranny? I heard that you can get a lawyer and if they dont want to give you a "NEW" tranny they will rebuy your car for the total that you paid for? Has anyone ever heard of this.

Mr
03 ABP TL-S
New Jersey
Old 12-12-2002, 11:08 AM
Having Fun?

Remanufactured parts is an industry standard procedure. You should not feel that this means you are getting _bad_ parts. This usually is a good thing - Why? It means that they have identified and re-engineered a particular part/process to the currently flawed design of something.

Why would you want a _new_ known faulty part installed with the same problem as the one that just failed?

Okay, true they take a currently failed unit, and rebuild it. But it is rebuilt to the new specifications.

You can search the forums for topics about remanufactured process, please don't take it as a negative approach
Old 12-12-2002, 11:11 AM
Having Fun?

Mr :
I have never heard of such a process. You will never get a _new_ transmission, and I think you currently would not want a new transmission built to the old flawed specifications.

If you have multiple failures than you have a good chance of throwing the lemon law in their face, but I don't think mearly on the basis of the parts/process used to repair the vehicle, which is an industry wide used and accepted method, merits it.

Just my $.02
Old 12-12-2002, 01:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

It's agi"a"nst the "law" ??? Which law applies here? Mexican law? Apparrently, you're in the "Dark" shear!!!
Old 12-12-2002, 04:42 PM
Burning Brakes

It's agi"a"nst the "law"
Against. A G A I N S T. Against.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you must first be smart.
Old 12-12-2002, 05:34 PM
l33t

Ok ok, checked with a buddie, yah your right they can use remanu'ed parts... sorry stop roasting me!!!

Oh, and T Ho, you dont make typos? bl0 me...

-Shear
Old 12-12-2002, 05:42 PM
l33t

Originally posted by GTA_TL
Does this mean that brand new TL's (ie. 2003) will have this new tranny? Also have the problems been corrected on this new tranny?
Assuming that the manufacturing date on the inside sill of the door is later than 01/04 then yah I would think so. But im not sure...
Old 12-12-2002, 06:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Oh, and T Ho, you dont make typos? bl0 me...
Note the quote. It wasn't a bust on you, dip****.
Old 12-13-2002, 06:56 AM
Burning Brakes

this is great too funny
but i do hope the new tranny will work this time
Old 12-14-2002, 01:48 AM
Intermediate

There has been so much information coming from 'reliable tech sources' over the life of this problem that I won't believe any of it until a model run comes out where there are NO reports of problems after six months. Of course Acura is going to say a new manufacturer is better and solves all problems, just like the "redesigned part" trannies solved it all, if you like replacing the transmission 2 or 3 more times. Fact is that a new manufacturer, just like a new model, is going to have teething troubles and learning curve. So you are probably worse off with the first ones they make.

Acura needs to think outside the box, look at those disposable razors. They could sell tranny 3- or 5- packs, with discounted installation. "Drive that car hard for 5K and then just throw that old transmission away, and get a FRESH CLEAN-SMELLING NEW Acura transmission! While those BMW and Lexus owners have to drive with OLD, WORN transmissions with 80, 90, even *100* K miles on them, your Acura has a crisp new transmission every quarter!"

Old 12-15-2002, 01:52 AM
l33t

ahhahah very nice... thats ok at least we dont have to worry about blowing up motors like the "M" cars....

T Ho, where in o-town are you?
Old 12-15-2002, 02:21 PM
Burning Brakes

East side. Why, are you looking to come kick my ass?
Old 12-15-2002, 03:21 PM
Go Stros!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Damn what happened here...(T-Ho and Darkshear)? Guys, relax..I'm hoping that these new tranny manufacturers don't f*ck up because I was starting to lose my trust in Honda and Acura because of this whole tranny issue but I'm too much of a diehard Honda fan to give up on them just like that..hahahahha:toothless :devil:
Old 12-15-2002, 03:26 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm just messing with him. Just so the joke is cleared up-

Darkshear misspells against. So what? Who doesn't typo? Then randomwalk101 comes in, calls him on it. Except, he's wrong, too. My point was not to single out misspelling, but to illustrate the point that, if you are going to tell someone they are wrong, you'd better sure that you're right.

Is anyone still confused?