New Rotors Rusting Already??

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 02:08 PM
Future JDM Whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Rotors Rusting Already??

about 3 weeks ago i installed new rotora cross drilled slotted rotors and today i noticed like a orange type of power around the hub area and when i rub it wit my finger some smears off on my finger but its still on the rotors......could this be the rotors are rusting already??
Old 10-15-2006, 02:20 PM
rebmeM deretsigeR

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Did you use brake cleaner on the rotors? If so, then it probably is rust. if not, then its the brake dust settling onto that area. I used brake cleaner on mine, unfotunately, and its rusted over on the untouched area.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:02 PM
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
mine didnt rust, just showedugly coloration. I pulled em all off and spray painted & cleared the edges and centers. looks 100X better now.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:36 PM
Future JDM Whore

Originally Posted by randomthought
Did you use brake cleaner on the rotors? If so, then it probably is rust. if not, then its the brake dust settling onto that area. I used brake cleaner on mine, unfotunately, and its rusted over on the untouched area.

well theres goes my answer i guess...........yup i did use break cleaner
Old 10-15-2006, 08:02 PM
Drifting

It is normal for the rotors to rust. Any mild steel will rust immediatley. I run into it all the time @ work. When i steam clean steel parts unless i get an air hose & blow it off immediatley rust will show up in 10 min. or less. Too bad they didn't make stainless steel rotors. Would never see rust with that material.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:19 PM
Meridian

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
same problem, I put on my Rotora Slotted 4 weeks ago and they hub part started 'rusting' but i dont mind, since its not THAT noticeable, but would like to paint that part black as the same as njzprettyboy did.

One question, can the brake cleaner break the rust off of those areas?
Old 10-15-2006, 10:34 PM
RickRoush03

Originally Posted by VoLLy_1llusioNz
same problem, I put on my Rotora Slotted 4 weeks ago and they hub part started 'rusting' but i dont mind, since its not THAT noticeable, but would like to paint that part black as the same as njzprettyboy did.

One question, can the brake cleaner break the rust off of those areas?
clean it with brake cleaner, then prime it and paint it with a high temp engine paint. no furhter issue should be present after.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:23 PM
Future JDM Whore

Originally Posted by RickRoush03
clean it with brake cleaner, then prime it and paint it with a high temp engine paint. no furhter issue should be present after.
so basically just spray the break cleaner and paint ONLY the area that is rusting??

thanks
Old 10-15-2006, 11:28 PM
Future JDM Whore

Originally Posted by njzprettyboy
mine didnt rust, just showedugly coloration. I pulled em all off and spray painted & cleared the edges and centers. looks 100X better now.
yo chirag looks like im gonna have to do this man too bad i cant see your rotors cuz u got those big face 20's on the Acc lookin meannnnnn lol but ill give u a call tomorrow and see wats good
Old 10-15-2006, 11:32 PM
Future JDM Whore

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by njzprettyboy
mine didnt rust, just showed ugly coloration. I pulled em all off and spray painted & cleared the edges and centers. looks 100X better now.
yo chirag looks like im gonna have to do this man too bad i cant see your rotors cuz u got those big face 20's on the Acc lookin meannnnnn lol but ill give u a call tomorrow and see wats good
Old 10-16-2006, 07:33 AM
Kilos of yayo in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used CRC break cleaner on my power slots when I installed them and have not had any rust after a few months of them being on. Might be because I am in vegas too I imagine people in humid climates probably have real problems with this but my OEM rotors I left in the rears have rusted pretty bad. I think I got em that way though.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
It is called oxidation and it happens to ALL rotors.. After washing a car it will happen, condensation will cause it. Water will sit on the rotor and turn it a goldish/brown. Once you apply the brakes the pad will burn it off, but only where the pad touches. There is still part of the rotor that is untouched. If you sprayed brake cleaner on the rotor then you basically wiped off the protective coating on there and now oxidation will build up. Oxidation will eventually turn into rust if left untouched. Look at your OEM rotors, they will have rust in the vanes and right above the hub area. The rotor will still last 75K plus. However, the thin line of oxidation is unsightly to some so you could sand it down/clean it off and then spray paint it with a high temp black paint, but it's such a small line though.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Excelerate
It is called oxidation and it happens to ALL rotors.. After washing a car it will happen, condensation will cause it. Water will sit on the rotor and turn it a goldish/brown. Once you apply the brakes the pad will burn it off, but only where the pad touches. There is still part of the rotor that is untouched.

I agree. Since rotors are pretty much bare metal, except for zinc coated "hats" on some, unless you're in a very dry climate,the oxidation is inevitable. Since new, I always brush on a coat of black rust paint (Rust-O-Leum $5.00 from Wally mart) using a narrow brush for the outer and vented part and medium wide brush for the hub part. Make sure you scrub with a steel brush before painting. I do this everytime I mount back the summer rims and saves me the job of lifting the car again.

I recently replaced the front rotors and before installation, spray painted these parts with black (same) paint and masked the contact areas. Make sure to use flat or semi-gloss as flat black will dull out and turn to an ugly gray.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:45 AM
Advanced

Painitng hubs (OEM)

So, it is ok to paint the hub portion of the rotor? I've heard conflicting stories - as some say it is ok and some say don't do it. My OEM hubs are rusted and it looks unsightly, especially now after I installed my new rims, you can see them more directly.

Would coating them with a high-temp paint do the trick?
Old 10-23-2006, 09:38 AM
Intermediate

"Too bad they didn't make stainless steel rotors. Would never see rust with that material."

SS is still a ferrous material and can/will rust if the surface gets a scratch down past the chromium coating.

If you're concerned with rust on the hub then look into this product:

www.por15.com

as long as their no clearance issues nothing wrong with painting hubs.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:49 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the input Mike390!
Old 10-23-2006, 11:05 AM
Blazin with your Moms in

Originally Posted by bkana
So, it is ok to paint the hub portion of the rotor? I've heard conflicting stories - as some say it is ok and some say don't do it. My OEM hubs are rusted and it looks unsightly, especially now after I installed my new rims, you can see them more directly.

"You can do it!!!!"
Old 10-23-2006, 11:15 AM
Advanced

Hey special e. dition,

What type/brand of paint did you use on your calipers/hubs? I know there are many out there to choose form, just curious as to what you used.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:46 AM
Blazin with your Moms in

Hey special e. dition,

What type/brand of paint did you use on your calipers/hubs? I know there are many out there to choose form, just curious as to what you used.
I forget the actual name.. just make sure its high temp paint, and use light coats!*=(Sanding prior to painting should be understood)

Yes Siiir!
Old 10-23-2006, 11:50 AM
Advanced

Got it.....thx!
Old 10-23-2006, 08:21 PM
Burning Brakes

I paint them once a year. Looks much better than rusted ones, especially if they show thru the gaps of the wheel spokes. I would not bother much with the front part of the hub that contacts the wheel, since the paint will come off (flake off) after you tighten the rims or smudge the hub part of the rims.

Another idea is to apply anti-seize on the bolts prior to tightening the lugs. Just suggestions.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:17 PM
13.5buysit

Originally Posted by seattle dale
It is normal for the rotors to rust. Any mild steel will rust immediatley. I run into it all the time @ work. When i steam clean steel parts unless i get an air hose & blow it off immediatley rust will show up in 10 min. or less. Too bad they didn't make stainless steel rotors. Would never see rust with that material.
Yup! Look on the dealers lot after a rain. Exposed steel brand new will look rusty with just a little moisture.