new rotors and pads

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003 | 11:41 PM
Advanced

new rotors and pads

I just installed the RaceConcepts Slotted rotors and AEM Nissin brake pads in the front (02 TL-S). however, when i look at the worn part of the new rotor, i can see that only the outer edge of the rotor comes into contact with the new pads when braking. not even half of the pad touches the rotor when i brake. Could this be normal during the break in period?
Old 04-25-2003 | 02:39 PM
Racer

I've never seen that on brakes, but I haven't used those rotors or pads before. Is it that way on both sides of the car? Maybe your rotors are too small...
Old 04-25-2003 | 02:47 PM
Senior Moderator

No dude that's way wrong. medic's right, sounds like the rotors are way too small. Take a picture and post it so we can tell you definitively.
Old 04-25-2003 | 07:14 PM
Advanced

rotors are exact same size as factory... i tried putting the stock pads on the new rotors... they work fine... i put the AEM ones back in ... same thing... could there be somthing wrong with the calipers, not holding the pads straight? maybe wore in that way with the old pads (so that old pads work but new ones, even new factory pads, don't work)?
Old 04-25-2003 | 07:15 PM
Advanced

the weird thing is... its like that on both sides.
Old 04-27-2003 | 09:39 PM
Advanced

AEM Nissin's were the problem... i got my rotors turned and got new factory pads... i'm just gonna stick with stock pads... will probly go back to stock pads in the rear too when time to replace.
thanx for your replys...
Old 04-28-2003 | 07:24 AM
USMC Butterbars

Re: new rotors and pads

Originally posted by jungsup81
I just installed the RaceConcepts Slotted rotors and AEM Nissin brake pads in the front (02 TL-S). however, when i look at the worn part of the new rotor, i can see that only the outer edge of the rotor comes into contact with the new pads when braking. not even half of the pad touches the rotor when i brake. Could this be normal during the break in period?
I have the same setup as you. I also noticed that half of the rotor is worn from the pads touching and the inner half of the rotor is brand new. I assumed this was normal???
Old 04-28-2003 | 11:42 AM
Advanced

I found out it is not normal. I called AEM and they say that they do not make their pads like that and that I should check the calipers... nothings wrong with the calipers... its the pads... it doesn't fit the TL-S perfectly (on both sides in my case). The pads will eventually wear out in this abnormal manner and will come in full contact with the rotors. However, when it comes for time to replace the pads again, the new pads will not fit properly unless you get your rotors turned or replaced. I chose to get the rotors turned now while they were still ok and did away with the AEM Nissins....I put new factory pads in.. I didn't want any more trouble cuz i've been having lots of problems with my aftermarket parts lately and am sick of fixing them up... i didn't mind at first. i enjoyed working on my car... but now, i'm tired of it, and i need some time off.. hehehe. i hope you get yours taken care of...
Old 04-28-2003 | 02:24 PM
USMC Butterbars

This is what my front rotor looks like after 1000 miles. AEM Pads/RaceConcept Rotors
Is this normal the way half the pads touch the rotors???

Old 04-28-2003 | 04:20 PM
Advanced

no, that is not normal. the brake pads should touch the entire width of the slots and holes, so that there is only about a centimeter of untouched rotor surface left. If you take out your pads, you will probably notice that the surface of your pads have worn with an angle. There will not be a smooth, straight surface. You will probably need your rotors resurfaced also. I got mine turned and found out that the rotor wear was uneven only after 250 miles on it (i watched the rotors being turned). As the pads wear more and more, it should touch more of the rotor. but that still won't mean your rotors are straight. I think the dealer charges like 150? to resurface the rotors... if so, don't go there... find a different shop... it should only cost $15-$20 for each rotor. the process isn't much... u just put the rotor on a machine and let it turn...