Brake/Wheel Hub : Rotor
RAYBESTOS Part # 96795R {Professional Grade}
Front	$22.79	$0.00		$45.58	
RAYBESTOS Part # 96849R {Professional Grade}
Rear	$11.32	$0.00		$22.64	
Subtotal	$149.90
Shipping        $53.49
Total           $203.89
My buddy's 2002 TL has 86k miles and is exhibiting the infamous warped rotors syndrome. It's probably time for new pads and rotors, so I headed over to RockAuto and found the above configuration.

Are the Raybestos "QuietStop" pads and "Professional Grade" rotors a good combo for a lightly driven, daily driver? My objective is to find a pad and rotor combination that will not suffer warpage for at least another 50k miles. The brake pad must also deliver low noise and long life. If you know of another pad and rotor combination that can meet my requirements and deliver equal or better performance at a better price, please let me know.

The Wagner ThermoQuiet or Raybestos PG Plus Ceramic pads will lower the total by about $20. Would either of those pads be a better choice in terms of noise and/or performance, or am I better off with the QuietStop pads? I really want to get this brake job right the first time, and not have any complaints.

Thanks.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:11 AM
Hold the onions

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SodaLuvr
My buddy's 2002 TL has 86k miles and is exhibiting the infamous warped rotors syndrome.

Is it normal around that mileage for our cars? I'm 02 and near 86k and my steering wheel is shaking when braking from 70+mph. Time for rotor upgrade?
Old 04-05-2007, 05:16 AM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
That shipping charge is outrageous... I went with an upgrade and went with slotted rotors up front (since they do all the stopping) and regular NAPA rotors in the rear. The rotors I got up front are Racingbrake and I got Hawk HPS pads all around.

The front slotted rotors and all four pads I got from a vendor on here, MrHeelToe, for $370 shipped. The rear rotors I picked up from a local NAPA for just under $40. So $410 for all parts and everything installed for $176.

They are actually doing this while I am out of town, as I will be in New York all weekend at a wedding. Can't wait to get home and try the new brakes out and bed them in. Also should have in Autoworks custom CAI. Then on to the LED dash conversion and under door handle LEDs.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:18 AM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bud760
Is it normal around that mileage for our cars? I'm 02 and near 86k and my steering wheel is shaking when braking from 70+mph. Time for rotor upgrade?
Yes, time for an upgrade. I think the mileage depends on the conditions that they were driven. Shaking in the steering wheel during braking is caused by warped rotors.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:57 AM
Hold the onions

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KSuchdeve
Yes, time for an upgrade. I think the mileage depends on the conditions that they were driven. Shaking in the steering wheel during braking is caused by warped rotors.

Sweet! Time to call up MrHeeltoe soon
Old 04-05-2007, 11:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Many members love the ROTORA Slotted Rotors. They are $165 for a front pair and $55 for some ROTORA ceramic pads plus shipping. PM me for pricing.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
I vote for slotted ie: side vented rotors for the TL/CL cars

No need for cross drilled rotors

Love my HAWK HPS pads www.hawkperformance.com
they work well for the wife and me in the mountains or on track days

Excellerate has Brembo rotors and MrHeelToe carries RacingBrake brand
www.racingbrake.com has tech info on rotor construction so you can compare and make your choice

Great brakes keep your car from suddenly getting 2 feet shorter

See pics of my fun run brake test area post #164 of the link below
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=316102&page=7
Old 04-05-2007, 03:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerate
Many members love the ROTORA Slotted Rotors. They are $165 for a front pair and $55 for some ROTORA ceramic pads plus shipping. PM me for pricing.

Love the Rotora Slotted. I have one set for the front with Akebono pads and I am getting the rear set with pads from Execerelate. Hope they arrive soon.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I think the above combo is fine if you are driving your car normally and not like many of us on here. Although I'd still recommend going with a better rotor than raybestos. Perhaps US made Napa rotors (approx.$40ea) or Brembo blank O.E. replacement rotors (approx.$65-75each). For the price your paying for those raybestos pads you could get an even better satisfied pro ceramic pad from tirerack or many other on-line retailers. And lastly I'd say stand clear of those wagners. They are cheaply made and most likely not ceramic. The OE pads are semi-metallic, but ceramics tend grip slightly better and produce less dust. I've been using satisified pros on brembo blanks and have had no problems with either noise or dust on my 02 TL-P.

Anyhow, the raybestos pads aren't bad for a direct replacement, but I'm wary of their rotors as I warped a set on my old car within 15k miles, but I didn't always drive my old car "normally".
Old 04-05-2007, 08:55 PM
Team Owner

The OE pads are Ceramic- thats why parts books all say use Ceramic replacement
They make less noise (in theory) and less dust because less grip

The Hawk pads and other similar are semi metallic- they grip better
make a little/some dust because they are working ( I drive very spirited), and I have no rude noises from mine.
If on a budget, I say NAPA American made- not the China ones- and Hawk HPS pads
That will make the car stop well in all conditions for a reasonable price
Later on- upgrade the rotors and you will appreciate the differance a few hundred dollars makes.
www.hawkperformance.com for tech info on pads
Old 06-02-2007, 03:06 AM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by mcflyguy24
I think the above combo is fine if you are driving your car normally and not like many of us on here. Although I'd still recommend going with a better rotor than raybestos. Perhaps US made Napa rotors (approx.$40ea) or Brembo blank O.E. replacement rotors (approx.$65-75each). For the price your paying for those raybestos pads you could get an even better satisfied pro ceramic pad from tirerack or many other on-line retailers. And lastly I'd say stand clear of those wagners. They are cheaply made and most likely not ceramic. The OE pads are semi-metallic, but ceramics tend grip slightly better and produce less dust. I've been using satisified pros on brembo blanks and have had no problems with either noise or dust on my 02 TL-P.

Anyhow, the raybestos pads aren't bad for a direct replacement, but I'm wary of their rotors as I warped a set on my old car within 15k miles, but I didn't always drive my old car "normally".
FYI, if you purchase Raybestos PG Plus (Blue label, actually now changing to Advanced Technology - black label) rotors, they are made in the US. Occasionally some are made in Canada but that's practically the same thing. They're good quality rotors as I have used them myself. Raybestos also has what 's called the "Raymold" line of rotors (Red Label). DO NOT buy Raymolds!!! These are the economy line junk from China, Taiwan, etc. Warp like crazy! The Quiet Stop pads work very well for most people. If you tend to be a "spirited" driver like me : , you should look into performance pads mentioned here on AZ.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:38 AM
02 WDP type-S Navi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just recently put a set of Raybestos PG Plus in the rears, with satisfied pro ceramic I think they were around the $30 range it was $70 somethings for both 2 rear rotors n pads shipped not bad can't complain no squeaks anymore. My rotora's in the front are actually warping, and don't know where in L.A. that they'd turn slotted rotors....
Old 06-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Team Owner

Are you sure its rotor warp- as determined by checking runout
or do you have a shimmy under braking?
The calipers do fail and if the brake fluid was never flushed before- there can be crud in the system that ends up in a caliper- do an inspection by bleeding some fluid and look the rotors over for uneven wear across the rotor face
Another cause is -guessing you have hi performance front pads- is not getting the pads hot enough to clean glaze caused from low speed driving/traffic
You can do a hi speed re-bed and clean it off that way.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:58 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Should've reported back. Car got new front rotors and pads installed by a local shop and the problem was solved.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:10 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM Pads ..... service rep at the dealer told me they were semi-metallic, not 100% ceramic.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:02 AM
02 WDP type-S Navi

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Are you sure its rotor warp- as determined by checking runout
or do you have a shimmy under braking?
The calipers do fail and if the brake fluid was never flushed before- there can be crud in the system that ends up in a caliper- do an inspection by bleeding some fluid and look the rotors over for uneven wear across the rotor face
Another cause is -guessing you have hi performance front pads- is not getting the pads hot enough to clean glaze caused from low speed driving/traffic
You can do a hi speed re-bed and clean it off that way.
I have ebc green stuff in front they're finally startin to squeak too, the rubber shim compund glued into the back of the pad is starting to dissapear. The rotoras make the car shimmy like hell under hard braking.....I've tried re-bedding em but it is L.A. traffic 24/7 except holiday mornings.

Raybestos & stock rotor
Old 06-05-2007, 12:49 AM
3.2TL

didnt know raybestos had the Black painted on the inner part, will def. get those for next time so I wont have to paint on the actual surface area that gets the friction.