New Navi 2.11c Update - Got it? Report Here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 09:29 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its sent out not using UPS GROUND but regular mail ups.
so it takes 7 to 14 days to come.

UPS ground only takes 5 days the MOST from west to east coast.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:59 AM
Racer

Well I'm happy to report that I got my new 2.11c Navi upgrade disk. The system updates the the Navi firmware in less than a minute and it then restarts it.

So far I guess I don't have too much to report. (since others have posted about 2.11b already)......here are my observations anyway.

- scrolling the map is faster
- route calculation seems faster (only done it on verified roads thus far)
- the new voice is more mature and I like it..less annoying
- greyish non-verified roads are hard to read in the day time setting
- scrolling through the points of interest takes longer
- added points of interest are very welcome
- New DVD disk is 6.3 GB (so we can't copy it...yet)
- The newest file on the DVD is dated 12/15/03. Probably those are the firmware update files (they were small files). The large database files were dated between July and August 2003.
- 2.11c has copyright 2004 stamped on the DVD itself.
- the zoom bar is now orange and it was yellow before.
- the initial warning message is in a slightly different font and the OK button takes a second or two longer to show up (at least it seemed so to me).

As I use the system over the ongoing days and I find new things I will report back my findings. This is what I noticed on just 30 minutes of use after having inserted the new disc.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:24 AM
Racer

Originally posted by galfert
Well I'm happy to report that I got my new 2.11c Navi upgrade disk. The system updates the the Navi firmware in less than a minute and it then restarts it.

So far I guess I don't have too much to report. (since others have posted about 2.11b already)......here are my observations anyway.

- scrolling the map is faster
- route calculation seems faster (only done it on verified roads thus far)
- the new voice is more mature and I like it..less annoying
- greyish non-verified roads are hard to read in the day time setting
- scrolling through the points of interest takes longer
- added points of interest are very welcome
- New DVD disk is 6.3 GB (so we can't copy it...yet)
- The newest file on the DVD is dated 12/15/03. Probably those are the firmware update files (they were small files). The large database files were dated between July and August 2003.
- 2.11c has copyright 2004 stamped on the DVD itself.
- the zoom bar is now orange and it was yellow before.
- the initial warning message is in a slightly different font and the OK button takes a second or two longer to show up (at least it seemed so to me).

As I use the system over the ongoing days and I find new things I will report back my findings. This is what I noticed on just 30 minutes of use after having inserted the new disc.
So how about added functions. I know we have "minimize freeways" but did we get maximize freeway" or something like that?
Old 03-02-2004, 02:52 AM
Advanced

When will the new update come out for the 99tl w/navi
Old 03-02-2004, 08:45 AM
Racer

greyish non-verified roads are hard to read in the day time setting
i disagree, i can see the non-verified roads better in the day time setting than in the night time setting...

the initial warning message ... the OK button takes a second or two longer to show up (at least it seemed so to me)
yes, i noticed this as well.....
Old 03-02-2004, 01:30 PM
Racer

I ordered my DVD last Friday evening and just received it today. I did pay for the 2 day shipping. I will be installing it in a couple hours and will try to post my thoughts a little later.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:28 PM
Advanced

Hi all! To my surprise, I just received the new disc today. I made the order around Thanksgiving last year so it was a long time coming. Always had the 1.09 disc so the change was very NICE! I live in the DC area so I haven't had any experience with the unverified routes but will give it a whirl when I go to Amish Country in PA this weekend. As far as differences go, I noticed all the same stuff as Big Ped, but also they included an icon for schools too. Noticed the red icons right away since there are several near my home. My only nitpick is that I wish Acura give this Disc the bird's eye view feature, like the system availible in the Nissan/Infiniti cars. I wish we had the ability to toggle between that view and the standard view we have now.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:04 PM
Racer

Originally posted by hnhoj
Hi all! To my surprise, I just received the new disc today. I made the order around Thanksgiving last year so it was a long time coming. Always had the 1.09 disc so the change was very NICE! I live in the DC area so I haven't had any experience with the unverified routes but will give it a whirl when I go to Amish Country in PA this weekend. As far as differences go, I noticed all the same stuff as Big Ped, but also they included an icon for schools too. Noticed the red icons right away since there are several near my home. My only nitpick is that I wish Acura give this Disc the bird's eye view feature, like the system availible in the Nissan/Infiniti cars. I wish we had the ability to toggle between that view and the standard view we have now.
I second the birds eye view thing. Do the new Acuras have that (TSX/TL). Thanks!
Old 03-02-2004, 08:03 PM
Racer

Are the graphics any better?
Old 03-02-2004, 08:10 PM
Racer

Originally posted by davey73
Are the graphics any better?
That quote reminds me of the good old nintendo vs sega days.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:13 AM
Advanced

As far as graphics go, it's the same looking stuff as the original discs. No surprises here, my guess is that improved graphics would probably occupy more disc space and perhaps slow down the scrolling of the navigation. Several other nitpicks I have encountered with the new disc. With several streets I've noticed the font size of the street names are rather large, encompassing two streets or three if it's too close together. This can be confusing and misleading if not familiar with the area. Also I wish they had labeled parks and shopping centers on the map. On the map parks are green blotches and malls are yellow areas. It would have been nice if Acura labeled these areas since they took the time to label some streets on the map that are less conspicious.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:08 PM
Racer

More observations

- Schools are red little icons of a building with a flag on it instead of the yellow blocked off area. I personally liked it the old way because you could see how big the school was. I imagine this change was done to speed up graphics.
- The blue line marking the path to your destination is now thicker and easier to see.
- previously verified coverage is more acurate when entering addresess. At least for the few locations I'm used to going where they were off a little bit before they are now right on the mark.
- When entering an address and you are given a range of say for example street numbers 1010 through 1099 as a valid address it already has the begining "10" number entered in for you so it saves you typing.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:58 PM
1st Gear

I just ordered mine on March-3-2004 at 3:00 PM pacific time..with 2nd day shipment requested.

Will let u all know when I get it.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:59 PM
On the way!

For those of us that already have the 2.11b DVD - what's the status on our update CD's???

No hurry - 2.11b is working pretty well for me now (some glitches - but no biggie).
Old 03-03-2004, 09:42 PM
Banned

i think everyone shouldve got the new update cd.
i got my patch cd last week.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:27 AM
Banned

Yep, got my patch CD last week too. It's a one-time deal so if you don't get yours let me know and I can always send you mine. Or just call Alpine and request one.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:22 AM
bbb
Intermediate

I'm suprised nobody has noticed that freeway on/off ramps are distinctly bolder and easier to view in the new version. This was very noticable to me right away-does anybody else notice this?
Old 03-04-2004, 06:47 AM
Racer

Does the new version have "Maximize Freeways." We have the oposite on the older version, but I think it would be very useful to me if I had an option for maximizing freeways. There are times when taking the freeway/highway route results in a much longer distance. However, because you can flow at 80 mph or whatever you can get to your destination much faster than taking the shortest or local route. The navi with the old version does not consider this. we have shortest and easy route. Short is self explanatory, and Easy route just cuts down on the turns. This is not a substitute for maximizing freeways. It will still take you through the damn local roads.

What I'm looking for is an algorithm/program function that will take you from your starting point to the nearest freeway entrance and route you to your destination while maximizing freeway use. If the new version has it, it would be listed in the menu where the shortest, easy, and minimize freeway routes are. Check it out for me please.

I currently have the "b" version of the DVD and have not ordered the new one yet because I'm thinking of trading the car in for a new TL. The Navi to me is VERY important and this may help me make a smarter decision. My strongest inclination right now is to keep the 02TLS-nav for another year or two. But the 04 Navs are almost unresistable. Thanks!
Old 03-04-2004, 07:46 AM
Advanced

I got my update patch CD but haven't put it in yet.

I noticed that the new version still does not have the "Big Dig" update. Its only been what- 5 years..... Sheesh.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:17 AM
Racer

There is no maximize freeways option. But I did notice that with the new version it takes you the highway route from my place of work back home where before under the old version it would not. Yes it is longer but it does take less time.

Bottom line: the routing algorithim has been changed!
Old 03-04-2004, 12:21 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I ordered mine this past Tue and it's on its way, even got a UPS tracking number. Expected here on Friday. I waited until all the drama settled and luckily ordered it right before they ran out..my bad y'all ;-)
Old 03-04-2004, 12:43 PM
On the way!

Originally posted by pianoman41
Yep, got my patch CD last week too. It's a one-time deal so if you don't get yours let me know and I can always send you mine. Or just call Alpine and request one.
Thanks for the offer, but I called them and they're going to remail one to my home address.

It turns out that they mailed it to my work address - and we moved in December. Apparently there's no forwarding service.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:45 PM
10th Gear

new dvd for navi

Got mine last week. Sweeeeeeet. Lots of new areas and sources. Can't wait to try it on the interstate.

What about the old dvd, anyone buying these things???

Thanks....
Old 03-04-2004, 10:37 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Big Ped
So how about added functions. I know we have "minimize freeways" but did we get maximize freeway" or something like that?
You sort of already have that by default. The two choices for plotting routes are "direct route" and "easy route". Direct route is designed to take you from point A to point B in the shortest distance possible. This includes side-stepping though neighborhoods to save time (although it still tries to utilize major streets when possible). The "easy route" is designed to minimize turns and street changes, therefore it will try to stay on the freeway as much as possible since it's easier driving on the freeway (traffic jams notwithstanding).

So if you want to maximize highway use, select "easy route" as your mapping option.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:39 PM
Banned

Originally posted by bbb
I'm suprised nobody has noticed that freeway on/off ramps are distinctly bolder and easier to view in the new version. This was very noticable to me right away-does anybody else notice this?
I didn't notice any difference in the look of the on/off ramps themselves, but I did notice that all on/off ramps are now numbered/lettered.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:41 AM
Racer

Originally posted by pianoman41
You sort of already have that by default. The two choices for plotting routes are "direct route" and "easy route". Direct route is designed to take you from point A to point B in the shortest distance possible. This includes side-stepping though neighborhoods to save time (although it still tries to utilize major streets when possible). The "easy route" is designed to minimize turns and street changes, therefore it will try to stay on the freeway as much as possible since it's easier driving on the freeway (traffic jams notwithstanding).

So if you want to maximize highway use, select "easy route" as your mapping option.
I do consulting work and travel to clients every now and then. I had my car for 3 years now. I'm pretty sure that it is not really meant to take you through freeways as much as possible. I tried doing that time and time again, and most of the time it would re-route me locally using less turns. I was in places that I know that there is a freeway entrance near by, but just didn't know how to get there, and the navi will still route me locally. I would have to start playing around with it by using "avoid a street" function. Then it would come up with other alternatives and then I would get the freeway route after a few tries. I hate that with a passion, it was so stupid, and the concept I was trying to get at is very simple. Perhaps there is something wrong with my navi, but that is the situation with me. Anybody else have this problem?
Old 03-05-2004, 07:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Detour vs Avoid a Street

Originally posted by Big Ped
I do consulting work and travel to clients every now and then. I had my car for 3 years now. I'm pretty sure that it is not really meant to take you through freeways as much as possible. I tried doing that time and time again, and most of the time it would re-route me locally using less turns. I was in places that I know that there is a freeway entrance near by, but just didn't know how to get there, and the navi will still route me locally. I would have to start playing around with it by using "avoid a street" function. Then it would come up with other alternatives and then I would get the freeway route after a few tries. I hate that with a passion, it was so stupid, and the concept I was trying to get at is very simple. Perhaps there is something wrong with my navi, but that is the situation with me. Anybody else have this problem?

For some reason, maybe it's just how the roads are laid out in my area; "Avoid a Street" commands are usually ignored. However, detour seems to be able to adjust the next 3 turns or so without much problem (hence it being called "detour"). Anyhow, you may want to give it a try the next time you're looking for that freeway ramp - oh, and if nothing else, it's much faster to cycle through "detour" routes than selecting "avoid a street", picking a street, and hoping for the best.

By the way, I just got my new disc, and I love it (I had my original disc from 00 before) - but has anyone else noticed that when you go to enter you PIN using the little joystick, you can't do up&left, up&right, down&left, down&right any more? You can only do Up, Down, Left, Right; my previous disc didn't limit me like this one does. Yeah, I know, it's nit picking, but I just find that odd that they'd take that out of the new version.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:24 PM
Advanced

Got it on March 1 and have driven 700 miles this week through rural S. GA and the Panhandle of FL. MUCH BETTER coverage than the last version!! WELL WORTH $185!!!

If anyone can figure out a hack to get rid of the 'unverified roads' warning I would pay $$ for that!!!
Old 03-20-2004, 12:11 PM
Racer

If someone wants to make a backup copy of their new Navi Disc now you will finally be able to with this new Sony DVD burner that does dual layers.

http://news.com.com/2100-1041_3-5174...tag=fd_nbs_ent
Old 03-20-2004, 01:01 PM
Instructor

Now if we could get a processor update made available to speed up the calculations! The new 2.11c is a little slower, but worth it
Old 03-21-2005, 10:23 AM
3rd Gear

has anyone tried making a copy of the dvd NAVI?
Old 03-21-2005, 12:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The thread is back from the dead !!!