New Member saying hello

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 06:55 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member saying hello

All,

Just purchased a 2002 TL Type S, 61K miles for little under $10K (in NJ). It's wifey's car (so no mod intended, plus I have a manual Saab 92X aka WRX at Stage II - that's where the fun's at) and we could not be happier.

After browsing through the forum i got hell scared on the transmission issue, so i did my research and found out that the guy did the "fix" (not sure replacement or just a kit) back in June 06 around 35K miles, I felt slightly better about it and hope there won't be issues *knock on wood* as my wife (who's pregnant due in a couple weeks) would be driving the car.

I tried to read the 52page plus post on the transmission issue (i was up to page 6 before my eyes start hurting) and I have found some information, but it would be nice if someone can confirm my understanding:

1. the extended warranty covers up to 7 year or 109K miles, since my car was originally registered in June 2001, am I still under warranty or not? (technically it's a "2002" model) When does the clock start ticking?

2. If I am out of warranty, I heard Acura has pretty good customer service that would perform "goodwill" replacement for such issue - anyone that lives in NJ area can confirm or have experienced dealers that would honor the goodwill replacement? I live in Morris County and there is a dealer (Acura of Denville) near by, anyone have any experience with that dealer?

Thanks again!
Old 02-24-2009, 07:04 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
welcome. that no modding idea, good luck with that while being on this site. my tl-s was going to be a daily driver but not im working on a custom turbo kit. amazing what a web site can do to someone.

since it was registered in 01 i think you out of range. but they will goodwill if its a know good dealership that people on here recomend. also dont be a jack ass to them when it goes out.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my daily driver (02 SSM TL-S) was gonna remain stock for life too, until a thread "INSPIRED" me to buy some oem "JDM" exterior stuff for it. haha (inside joke)

now its dumped on k-sport's, with cleared headlight's (thanks Rajca), 20% tint, 18" wheels (no tires yet), oem front lip, and im working on an intake and exhaust to gain MPG.

still a great daily driver, but now it doesn't look like the old lady's 03 SSM TL-S down the street (even though that beeotch has the sideskirt's, and rear lip i need)
Old 02-24-2009, 07:26 PM
Instructor

I would say start now making 'friends' with your local Acura dealer. I wouldn't say go there for all services because you are gonna get ripped, but create some kind of trail so that when time comes you can say I am a regular customer here. Trust me, they WILL print your service history with them.
For example, go there for all your oil changes or something like that; you can always say nothing else has needed attention aside from oil changes. It might be $10 more than the Honda dealer but it 'might' pay off at the end when you talk to the service manager about your failed transmission.
Almost forgot, Welcome to the *best* Acura forum! I hope you enjoy your ride
Old 02-24-2009, 07:41 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Rajca
welcome. that no modding idea, good luck with that while being on this site. my tl-s was going to be a daily driver but not im working on a custom turbo kit. amazing what a web site can do to someone.

since it was registered in 01 i think you out of range. but they will goodwill if its a know good dealership that people on here recomend. also dont be a jack ass to them when it goes out.
I hear ya on the mods. My 92X was going to be just a stage 1 ("chipped"), by the end of the first year BBS wheels, turbobacks and uppipes are all ready to go. THEN, i got beat by my wife's Mini on a turn (even NA Mini is insane in the handling department), so I invested struts, sway bar etc....

Of course, you always "need" thein dash touch screen GPS/MP3 player (Pioneer AVIC - pretty good unit I have to say), and the momo shift knobs for the extra HP!

so yeah, been there, done that, i am just hoping the transmission stays healthy...then maybe I will put on some 20s and roll my fender
Old 02-24-2009, 07:43 PM
8th Gear

Thank you for the great idea. I might just go back to the dealer that the previous owner used so I can "continue" the relationship..the guy talked on the phone was really nice, too nice actually to be a dealer mechanic...I guess Acura is true to its customers...

Originally Posted by wise2k
I would say start now making 'friends' with your local Acura dealer. I wouldn't say go there for all services because you are gonna get ripped, but create some kind of trail so that when time comes you can say I am a regular customer here. Trust me, they WILL print your service history with them.
For example, go there for all your oil changes or something like that; you can always say nothing else has needed attention aside from oil changes. It might be $10 more than the Honda dealer but it 'might' pay off at the end when you talk to the service manager about your failed transmission.
Almost forgot, Welcome to the *best* Acura forum! I hope you enjoy your ride
Old 02-24-2009, 07:49 PM
8th Gear

I am not big into exterior stuff, if I can sell the spoiler i currently have on the TL-S I will probably do it in a heart beat, but I do see how OEM-ish body kits can make this car a head turner - not familiar with the Honda/Acura scene these days but when I think of Honda body kits I think of Wing West? - trust me, I had a Civic that was borderline rice (ok, maybe riced out) back when I was in college.

I do like the slanted exhaust deisgn though (HKS), which got me quite of attention on my 92X forum since it's "rice" :P

Originally Posted by grip
my daily driver (02 SSM TL-S) was gonna remain stock for life too, until a thread "INSPIRED" me to buy some oem "JDM" exterior stuff for it. haha (inside joke)

now its dumped on k-sport's, with cleared headlight's (thanks Rajca), 20% tint, 18" wheels (no tires yet), oem front lip, and im working on an intake and exhaust to gain MPG.

still a great daily driver, but now it doesn't look like the old lady's 03 SSM TL-S down the street (even though that beeotch has the sideskirt's, and rear lip i need)
Old 02-24-2009, 08:01 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
pics of your car and th 92x?
Old 02-24-2009, 08:11 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Rajca
pics of your car and th 92x?
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2104620

this is the website that I setup a couple years back when I got my 92X. There have been a couple more updates (mostly suspension sutff, Short Shifter etc) but nothing eye opening.

Going to put the flame suit on for my HKS :P