NEW MAXIMA 255hp, ALTIMA 240hp, Will it KICK TL, CL TYPE S BUTT??? either auto or M?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2001, 12:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEW MAXIMA 255hp, ALTIMA 240hp, Will it KICK TL, CL TYPE S BUTT??? either auto or M?

So Nissan with more torque...will it kick our TYpe S' butt??

city
Old 09-11-2001, 12:48 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
TL-S Butt Kicking

Dude,

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH *weeping* *sobbing* It's f**king true! Those cars will destroy our TL-Ses! AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH *weeping* *sobbing*

It's so unfair!

Oh the humanity!
Old 09-11-2001, 03:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: NEW MAXIMA 255hp, ALTIMA 240hp, Will it KICK TL, CL TYPE S BUTT??? either auto or M?

Originally posted by city001
So Nissan with more torque...will it kick our TYpe S' butt??

city
I'm not so sure about the butt kicking with that 4-speed automatic( in the Maxima and Altima).

Now manual vs. manual should be interesting.

Nissan manual vs. CLS/TLS auto --> TLS/CLS better have some mods at the ready with light wheels and sticky tires...

Finally, when the mods get tossed in, who the heck knows?
Old 09-11-2001, 05:27 AM
Pro

they new 5 spd Maxima should have no problem kickin our ass. The last years model already own us by a little... toss in another 30 dats overkilll ... but automatic is VERY VERY questionalbe
Old 09-11-2001, 06:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb

Besides HP and speed, I guess you have to look at the car as a whole. I wouldn't compare the TL w/ the Altima simply they're in different classes. Maybe the Maxima is a better candidate for comparison.
Old 09-11-2001, 06:54 AM
Instructor

The following is an exceprt from the "compare vehicles" section of the Nissan Maxima '02 website:

Please be advised that this information is proprietary and I have not contacted Nissan Motorcars for the republication of such contents:

NISSAN MAXIMA SE (AUTO) advantages over the ACURA TL TYPE-S NAVIGATION SYSTEM

MSRP $7781 less
12 months longer powertrain warranty
0.3 liter larger engine
Valve gear type double overhead cam
14 more torque (ft lb)
1 mpg better fuel economy (EPA city (mpg))
10mm wider tires
0.5in wider wheels
Trunk/hatch spoiler
Audio system includes single CD
1 more speakers
Computer
1.3 gallon(s) larger fuel tank
0.2 inch(es) longer wheelbase (in)
2.3 inch(es) more front headroom
0.9 inch(es) more rear headroom
2 inch(es) more front hip room
0.4 inch(es) more rear hip room
2.4 inch(es) more front leg room
1.2 inch(es) more rear leg room
0.7 inch(es) more front shoulder room
0.5 inch(es) more rear shoulder room
297 lbs less curb weight (lbs)

---I Would still take my Type S anyday!!!

Regards,
Lauderdale, TL
Old 09-11-2001, 06:59 AM
Instructor

The following link should take you to a side-by-side comparison of the 2002 Maxima SE to the TL Type S

http://compare.nissandriven.com/side...=506399&comp2=
Old 09-11-2001, 07:41 AM
Ex TL-S owner

Wow......The specs are pretty shocking. Look at the navigation system. It looks much better than ours
Old 09-11-2001, 07:59 AM
Drifting

Manual would definately smoke a TL-S Auto.

A better comparison feature for feature would be the Infiniti I35t when it is available.
Old 09-11-2001, 08:00 AM
Racer

I sat in a black 2002 Maxima SE yesterday and the interior is rather spartan. Nothing really grabs your attention except how cheap it seems. The arm rest rattled and the car wasn't even on. Anyway, the bottom line is they wanted $29000+ for the car. I can think of at least one car that's better for the same price........
Old 09-11-2001, 08:05 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally posted by CarFreak
Wow......The specs are pretty shocking. Look at the navigation system. It looks much better than ours
Dude, I like the NAV. Must resist, must resist...
Old 09-11-2001, 11:27 AM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

I really like the new gauges on Max SE though.. they look better in the night compare to TLS', IMO....

Also, if you look carefully, you would notice that the info in comparison on NissanDriven is WRONG!!!! For example, it marks N/A for Floormat for TLS!!!??? N/A for tilt/slide/shade for sunroof, when they list eletric sunroof STD on TLS?? IMO, the list is misleading....

Andy Kuo
Old 09-11-2001, 06:02 PM
Instructor

I don't understand how anyone can compare a Nissan Maxima with a Acua TLS I will not even bring up the Altima? Plain and simple one is a solid engineered car= Acura and the other is a poor excuse for a luxury sports car with a high HP engine in a cheap(quality) package. Why do people always look at horse power and NOT the complete package? For some reason the performance outweighs all the good in the TLS. If you wait long enough,...2002, 2003 you will find that there will probally alot more cars in the same class that will out perform the TLS as well. Acura is selling performance value far above what the Maxima offers. Buy a Camaro for $24K that will blow away all those Maxima's, GS430, A4 and the like, for a fraction of the price.

I think the new Z is the only Nissan car that looks interesting.
Old 09-11-2001, 07:01 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
If you added all the Nissan options, to properly compare it to the TLS standard features, you have a similar cost for both.

Advantage TL.
Old 09-11-2001, 07:44 PM

Let me guess because it's an acura it's not maxima competition right?

Well it is and after seeing the maxima there is even less reason to get an I30/35.

However these new car prices are kinda nuts, the base Camry is now 19,995 WTF?

THe 20-30k battle is gonna be a tough one.
Old 09-11-2001, 08:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

mod ur tls...may be a better batlle...(only in acceration)... cant do too much interior mods...so u get an idea
Old 09-12-2001, 02:18 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Lauderdale TL
The following is an exceprt from the "compare vehicles" section of the Nissan Maxima '02 website:

NISSAN MAXIMA SE (AUTO) advantages over the ACURA TL TYPE-S NAVIGATION SYSTEM

0.5in wider wheels
Trunk/hatch spoiler
Audio system includes single CD
1 more speakers

Regards,
Lauderdale, TL

I think these are the reasons why the 2002 Maxima can kick the tails our TL-S'! That extra speaker shaves a half second off the quarter mile!

Seriously, this is some stiff competition. Although we can't compete mechanically, at least we have one of the best interiors!
Old 09-12-2001, 03:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
the HP doesnt matter...the torque doesnt matter its the area under the curve how flat the torque is how falt hp I've raced and beat a 99 5 speed max...it was close but not that close now above 110 im sure thing could change ,but , im not going that deep
Old 09-12-2001, 09:32 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm not too worried right now.

Wait until they hit the streets and then we'll decide. Why? Because Nssian is notorious for over stating their numbers.

Besides, by time we find one we'll have the mystery mod to offset any potential advantage.

And it really bothered me, I'd swap out the factory tranny and install a complete Levelten tranny. In my opinion, the factory tranny is the weakest link . . . so good bye!

I would bet that a good 1/2 second would be gained just by making the tranny swap.

RUF
Old 09-12-2001, 09:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally posted by Ruf87
I'm not too worried right now.

Wait until they hit the streets and then we'll decide. Why? Because Nssian is notorious for over stating their numbers.

I agree 100% the Flack generated by the Q45's power numbers which should have resulted in much faster times lead to Nissan scaling back power numbers on the Max and I think at least one other model by 5hp. Initially it was supposed to have 260hp and some rags are still quoting that number. That 5hp seems like a very arbitrary number to me, so 255 remains to be seen.
Old 09-12-2001, 10:08 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Mr Hyde

I agree 100% the Flack generated by the Q45's power numbers which should have resulted in much faster times lead to Nissan scaling back power numbers on the Max and I think at least one other model by 5hp. Initially it was supposed to have 260hp and some rags are still quoting that number. That 5hp seems like a very arbitrary number to me, so 255 remains to be seen.

Not every test in different conditions will result in exact same times. I have yet to see Lexus claims of the LS430 times in any magazine. The new Q45 did 0-60 in 6.0seconds in a comparision test in the 9/01 edition of Car and Driver. Now take a look at the tall gear ratio's of the new Q. The new Maxima's are already out, 255HP is the claimed horses. It may not be 260HP, but it is a good deal lighter and has slightly more TQ. 4speed unit is still there, but Nissan strengthened the gears and quickened the shifts.
Old 09-12-2001, 10:20 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Las Vegas TLS
I don't understand how anyone can compare a Nissan Maxima with a Acua TLS I will not even bring up the Altima? Plain and simple one is a solid engineered car= Acura and the other is a poor excuse for a luxury sports car with a high HP engine in a cheap(quality) package. Why do people always look at horse power and NOT the complete package? For some reason the performance outweighs all the good in the TLS. If you wait long enough,...2002, 2003 you will find that there will probally alot more cars in the same class that will out perform the TLS as well. Acura is selling performance value far above what the Maxima offers. Buy a Camaro for $24K that will blow away all those Maxima's, GS430, A4 and the like, for a fraction of the price.

I think the new Z is the only Nissan car that looks interesting.

They are in the same price range. That makes it a pretty fair comparision regardless of who makes the vehicle. What makes your TL-S a solid engineered car and not a Maxima? What makes a 02 Maxima "Not a value?" It does offer more features when optioned up right?I would say so. You do rememeber that underneath all of the makeup, you have an Accord right? Not that its a bad thing, you just have to draw the line somewhere. You go and tell us to buy Camaro's if we want speed. Its almost as if your saying that a Maxima is not feature packed as a TL-S. Most of the guys who responded to this thread are opened minded, some just have to ruin it.
Old 09-13-2001, 09:13 AM
Instructor

it's still funny how some people think the tl/cl is an accord...it's not. it's on the same platform, but it's not an accord with "makeup" like the i30/35 or es300 is.

what does the i35 and max have in common? umm, suspension, tranny, engine, even body parts (glass), same wheelbase, etc. the i35 IS a max with "makeup".

what does the accord and tl have in common? different wheelbase, different susp., different tranny, different engine, etc.
the tl is NOT an accord with "makeup".

get that straight.
Old 09-13-2001, 11:57 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by ScreamingVQ

Most of the guys who responded to this thread are opened minded, some just have to ruin it.
I have been studing automobiles for the past 20+ years. I don't have alot of bad to say about Nissan. I have owned three of them. Nissans just don't do anything for me, they never have. I think past Nissan sales will support my claim. However I have been very impressed with Honda and what they have done in the past ten years with there cars. Although I think the best Hondas where made form 1980-1983, that is a whole different subject though. I compare Honda with Sony. Very innovative and always trying new stuff and pushing the envolope a cutting edge company. The new Maxima is still a very new car. I think the vertict is still out. I think the Acuras have proved themselves. At least the TL has, although the RL is in need of some help. Look at the NSX. What other car company, but Honda would take on Ferrari? That says alot about Honda/Acura.
When you call the TL a Accord, well what you are saying is the Accord is like the number#4 or #5 best selling car, and it is a bad thing to be built on an Accord chassis?
I am thinking you are the type of person who thinks the grass is always greener? I have found too many times that this isn't the case.
Old 09-13-2001, 03:52 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by AzNTL
they new 5 spd Maxima should have no problem kickin our ass. The last years model already own us by a little... toss in another 30 dats overkilll ... but automatic is VERY VERY questionalbe
You realize this is the TL-S forum? Last years model owns us?
Old 09-13-2001, 03:59 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by typeR
the HP doesnt matter...the torque doesnt matter its the area under the curve how flat the torque is how falt hp I've raced and beat a 99 5 speed max...it was close but not that close now above 110 im sure thing could change ,but , im not going that deep
That is correct. Remember too these are NISSAN horsepower claims and we've seen how the 340 HP Q45 (still a nice car) has been razed by the press for not having the performance advantage it's horsepower rating would suggest. Same applied to the QX4. Remember the I30 loses by over a SECOND to 60 to the base TL even though it has More Horsepower, More Torque AND it's Lighter!

Having said that I agree the Manual will be a tough car to beat. I look forward to playing with an auto with anticipation though...
Old 09-13-2001, 08:22 PM
Intermediate

Talking Who cares ?

:p Who cares about the 255 bhp maxima.
1. Their nav is still CD
2. Model looks like crap anyway. Have you ever seen the behind ? It looks like it comes rammed from the factory
3. I wouldnt buy the maxima even if it was 455 bhp and 10k cheaper.

Wait till the redesigned 300 bhp 2003 TL kicks maxima ass all the way up to nissan motors.
Old 09-13-2001, 11:19 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Who cares ?

Originally posted by Vtech_buddy
Wait till the redesigned 300 bhp 2003 TL kicks maxima ass all the way up to nissan motors.
Exactly. Whether the next TLS/CLS has a 300HP engine or not, this is a game of leap frog.

So just trade up if that is your only beef.

And Im also tired about hearing how the Maxima is such a good price performer. They are not and that the reason why I didn't buy the one I took home some time back. The dealer wouldn't come down to $26K and that was for a 1999 model. I then got a new 2001 TL for $26K, and then traded up for the TLS for for $2500 more.

RUF