New to forum and needs guidance :) 03TL sitting for 15 months

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 05:43 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to forum and needs guidance :) 03TL sitting for 15 months

Hi all! I am new as a member and forum browser. I am currently deployed to Afghanistan until may 2010. My 03 TLp will have been sitting in a driveway for 15 months by the time I'm back to driver it again. It was started and ran for a few minutes once a week( I don't know if that did any good). I was wondering what maintenance should be performed when I return. I have owned the car for about a year and a half, driving it for about 9 months out of that. It has 111,000 miles and is all stock. I'm not sure if it ever had tranny issues before I owned it. I never noticed any issues during the time I had to drive it. but after reading threads on tranny failure, I think it did slip from time to time, or was slow to shift to higher gears or maybe I'm just paranoid now lol. During the time I have owned the car, I have gotten all its maintenance performed at the local Valvoline shop in Fayetteville, NC i.e. (oil change, fluid top off). Should I take the car to Acura when I return and have it receive the 120k services? or just continue with Valvoline? They seem to do great service. Any suggestions? I have no experience with car mechanics so any help would be great. Thanks AIRBORNE!
Old 12-09-2009, 07:07 AM
2G wanting 3G

welcome to the zine. you should be fine. when i went to basic it sat for over a year. i'd say just make sure to leave the tank almost on E and give it a nice full tank of premium when you get back. and disconnect the battery so your terminals dont corrode.

i left it in grandma's garage under a car cover. all i had to do was give it a quick jump and it started fine. the exhaust was a little smokey but it had been sitting for a long time. the brakes stuck when i tried to back out, making the tire drag, but it broke loose after a few feet. if you want to go the extra mile leave it on blocks if your afraid of your tires getting flat spots. also it ran really rough, but after a few tanks of premium and a bottle of seafoam everything was running fine.

this was about a few years ago and she's still purring like a kitten. oh yea get the 120k service too. when you get back you should have made enough from haz pay alone to cover that.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:28 AM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 99 Likes on 91 Posts
Welcome to Azine.

Thank you for serving our country.

Leave the car almost of E. Disconnect the battery. Also when you come back, replace all of the fluids, give it a nice wash, and enjoy.

Just make sure it is covered. Before I got my car, it sat for over a year in my aunt's driveway and was not covered and the elements hurt it a little bit. Car covers cost like $30 at most. I'm sure someone back home will cover it for you.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:58 AM
HE>i

Received 253 Likes on 221 Posts
^^^All good info

Hope everyone remembers our troops, especially over the holidays!

welcome to the forum, and have a safe trip back to fayetteNAM
Old 12-09-2009, 10:12 AM
2000 acura tl FPR

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
now when i went on deployment this last year (it was only a 6 month carrier cruise) i took my car to the navy exchange long term parking, and had them put a car cover on it. they would start the car once a month, got it back and still ran like a champ. its been about six months since then.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:35 AM
7th Gear

Thanks for the info and support! Well the car is sitting on my buddy's driveway, with a well made $50 car cover. It's been sitting for 8 months already. When my buddy went home for mid tour leave, he tried to drive it and the battery was dead, so he got a brand new one. Maybe it just needed a charge. Oh well a new battery never hurts lol. The tank was nearly on E with an additive to prevent water and rust build up? I cant remember the name of the product. The tires were 3 months old... would that help prevent the flat spots?

9932:
oh yea, the haz pay covers it well lol. Thought about putting it towards an 06 RL but I talk myself out of it and into it on a daily basis lol :P

assclown:
I thought about letting the army take care of the parking, but the car has to be empty. I wanted to keep some stuff handy that 1st day back
Old 12-09-2009, 11:44 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
add more seafoam to 1/2 tank of gas...dont let friend start it anymore!! unless they drive it 45-60 minutes on the freeway to dry out moisture that gets absorbed into all the oils
Its bad for the engine to run a few minutes, and doesnt get to charge the battery
Do disconnect battery NEG for storage- the clock drains battery

flush brake fluid for sure!!!

seafoam the manifold vac port, and oil before changing it to remove bad things

new tires/old tires dont matter- weight on them causes a flat spot that goes away with driving

to do it really good have buddy seafoam intake until it `fogs` and stalls- see www.seafoamsales.com for info- easy DIY and protects all parts inside engine until its ready to drive again

Thank you for your service!
Old 12-09-2009, 11:45 AM
2000 acura tl FPR

Originally Posted by TLer03
assclown:
I thought about letting the army take care of the parking, but the car has to be empty. I wanted to keep some stuff handy that 1st day back
i'm assuming they wouldn't let you store it like that because of liability and theft. they didn't care if i had things in my car. i do miss the haz pay though i'd keep the 03 pay it off if you havent, save the money as a good savings... that's what i did and am not regretting it one bit
Old 12-09-2009, 11:46 AM
Team Owner

was the 105 service with timing belt-water pump spark plugs etc done on time?
If not- thats a for sure thing to do on return if keeping the car. otherwise keep the $1500 and get another car like you want
Get those special military car deals still?
Old 12-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Team Owner

When storing a car- FILL the gas tank and add stabil or seafoam to it, drive a few miles then park, Full tank has less room for moisture absorbtion, empty tank is like a magnet

dont know on stabil, but seafoam is good for 18 months in the gas to keep it from `gelling`

do the same for the lawn mower for those of us living in a house- winterize it!
Old 12-09-2009, 01:59 PM
7th Gear

I did use stabil, now that u mention it. i just followed the directions on the back. So starting up for a few minutes a week or so isn't doing any good? My buddys wife does it. so i wont ask her to do any maintenance on it lol. I'll be sure to follow the seafoam guide when i get back. well i got the car at 101k, i never had that type of service performed, so im guessing it didnt. unless teh previous owner had it done early. i could check records, but i doubt it. I'll just get all services done when i get back and keep the car. i have lots of time to get an RL. Its funny about military discounts... you cant get any in a military town lol. I appreciate all the tips and info. never would have gotten such rich information anywhere else. im guessing the 105k and the 120k are all different parts and probably gonna be at least 3000k?
Old 12-09-2009, 06:59 PM

Received 9,502 Likes on 6,173 Posts
Welcome to the Acurazine crew!

Like others have said, thank you for your service! I live in Cary, NC, which is right outside of Raleigh. I've passed Fort Bragg plenty of times.

Whenever you get back in the drivers seat, defiantly take it to your local Acura dealership for the 120k service and have them look at the tranny. Before my 04 TL, I had a 01 CL-S which shares the same tranny as your 03 TL, and it had to be replaced. Don't quote me on this, but the 105k service usually includes a new timing belt and a few other crucial parts. Not all of they may need to be replaced, but you should get them at least checked out.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Team Owner

without an 03 book in hand- but going on common sense- the 105 is the timing belt water pump-tune up parts (plugs and air filter) service

and the 120 is just the every 60 fluid change- brake fluid, trans fluid, power steering fluid.
it gets new coolant with the water pump

last owner would have mentioned doing an expensive service early~
it ups the car value by a grand!

The few minutes running is not good for the car- stop having it done AND have the battery NEG cable disconnected at battery- iirc 10mm bolt on clamp
The oil picks up moisture (wiki hygroscopic) and needs a solid 45 minutes on the freeway to dry out ,,all the way thru the exhaust (per my 01 book)

Notice cars with water dripping out the tips in the morning?- thats your car too!
It will be fine with stabil- right product for the job

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 12-09-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:10 PM
2000 acura tl FPR

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Get those special military car deals still?
when i was on deployment (earlier this year) they were only doing special deals on american cars and harleys...
Old 12-10-2009, 06:21 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by assclown
when i was on deployment (earlier this year) they were only doing special deals on american cars and harleys...
Oh yes, they have it for harley, chrysler, chevy,ford ect. The deal is you buy it with a few grand discount or so and you pay no sales tax Not bad, but not interested lol.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:24 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by assclown
i'm assuming they wouldn't let you store it like that because of liability and theft. they didn't care if i had things in my car. i do miss the haz pay though i'd keep the 03 pay it off if you havent, save the money as a good savings... that's what i did and am not regretting it one bit
Yes i paid it off a few months ago yay. ill just stick with it. its a great car, just hate to spend money on expensive parts if needed (tranny).