New Car What Should I Get!? Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 12:28 AM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Car What Should I Get!? Need Help!

If you dont know, I was considering a 2003 Accord Fully Loaded.

Ok now my dad is totally CONFUSED!!

The Accord Fully Loaded Came out to like $28-29k

So people told me to get the Acura TL Type-S..

I definitely Like the TL LOOKS BETTER but it doesnt have Voice Activated Navi, will Be Outdated Soon so resale value will go down, and the interior isnt as good as a ACCORD ..

Dont get me wrong TL leather and all that is better than the Accord but the way the Accord is made its so much better, with the way the Navi is placed and ALL.. And the way the gauges light up, how the windows open with the press of a button, how the key is made.. Little things that make a diff.

But Exterior I like the TL Better..

Also TL has Xenon Lights Unlike Accord, and TL are going for Invoice price now and 2.9% APR Finance Rate..

Please Recommend me some good cars or SUVS to try out.. I feel like getting a SUV but those go for too much, I need something under $35k..

Heres the List of the Cars I will soon Try Out:

Acura TL Type-S
VW Passat (My Dad likes Exterior)
Toyota 4Runner (Alright, Affordable V8)
Acura MDX (Dont Like the Exterior)
Honda Accord (TRIED OUT ALREADY)

Also One thing I wanted to tell you guys is that in 1 year we will be getting the 2004 TL so If I get a TL now and TL Later its ODD

Please let me know what cars to consider (SUV or Car).. and test drive.. and what to pay for them..?

Also If I get a Car I will get it fully loaded with spoiler, fog lights, kit, Tint ETC..

Also I will do the Navi Conversion and make the Navi into a TV with Local Channels Antennae..

I have no clue what to do.. We went for the Accord couple times, bargained and everything and it comes down to the last minute and we are still doubting to get the Accord..

PLEASE HELP!?

Basically I need a Car thats sporty feel, luxurious, Fast (But My it will be my dads car so I dont think he cares), also good looks outside, and a luxurious inside with Navigation and etc..

Also I think the Accord looks kinda over built, like TOO BEEFY if you know what I mean.. ?

THANKS!
Old 04-11-2003, 12:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

one thing about the passat... its german and its been known to have some electrical problems... mainly due to some leaking near the cupholders that goes and messes with electronics

so i would toss that one out of ur list... plus its not very sporty

if ure going with the MDX or the 4runner, the MDX is more luxurious while the 4runner is more of an SUV so between those choices go with the 4runner for SUV purposes. MDX for a SUV luxury SUV

drop the passat from ur list .... dont go with the Type S just cuz of possible tranny issues... so that leaves the accord

thats my opinion
Old 04-11-2003, 07:41 AM
3rd Gear

I'm considering those exact same things right now. I don't like the idea of buying new though. I'm looking for something under 23k and would suggest dropping the Passat off the list and checking out the Audi A4 3.0. It's a sweet drive with a manual or the CVT transmission. Just another suggestion that might possibly fit in your budget. Besides that, it is probably the most intuitive car on the market. You will find yourself ripping through corners as if you were born driving the car. I currently own a 95 90 Quattro, but must sell it and get an automatic, so that is why I am checking out the TL.s
Old 04-11-2003, 08:13 AM
Instructor

You wanna spend 35K on a car? Look into the G35 Sport Coupe. That's what I would get. Either that, og if you want a SUV, I checked out the Exterra. Dude, those things are B@lls to the wall.
Don't get an Audi, they'll have the same problems as a VW. (Trust me, I know) I would also check out the new Maxima. They're pretty nice. They look like Altimas now. As far as the Accord goes, It's alright. I'd rather have the Acura.... Check out the IS300 if you're looking for sport. I passed one of those the other day, it was georgous. =)

-Paul-
Old 04-11-2003, 09:32 AM
Race Director

OK First of all I need a Sedan not a Coupe, so cross the G35 off the list..

The Xterra in my opinion is too ugly looking, and from the inside is not quite luxury..

Also I have a question, I thought BMW, Mercedes, VW, Audi were one of the best cars made, SPECIALLY FROM GERMANY, than why do they have electrical problems and stuff!? I mean like I couldnt even understand a Civic having Electrical probs so why does a AUDI!? They make it like that on purpose!? I mean RICH people all buy Mercedes, they have problems too.

I was considering the IS300 but its a little smaller than I want, I do like it, but My dad has too agree too..

MDX is very nice from inside but Exterior I HATE, Its too girly, my mom likes it though. That new Maxima is FUGLY! I cant believe u like it, in some ways its alright looking, but it aint something I would pay $30k for and also My dad doesnt want a Nissan, hes had Nissan's for over 10 years and wants to get a diff car.. And the Inside of Nissans isnt all that..

I also Doubt the 2003 Type-S would still have Tranny problems? But I guess its a possibility.. I like the Power, Xenon Lights and Looks of the TL, but its missing few new technological features that Accord has..

Accord is a good option but I dont really like a exterior, and people say Im stupid to Spend Near $30k on a HONDA ACCORD.

THANKS ALL REPLY
Old 04-11-2003, 09:58 AM
Banned

Acura TL Type-S
can't go wrong here, but the new model will be out soon and you probably want the newest things if you're like me and regret getting the 03.

VW Passat (My Dad likes Exterior)
I hate VW, my ex gf's Jetta had one problem after problem (ok so a Jetta isn't a Passat but I still hate VW)

Toyota 4Runner (Alright, Affordable V8)
ummm I don't know anything about the newer one but the older one feels like a truck.

Acura MDX (Dont Like the Exterior)
Exterior is kinda like a Van/SUV but I love every inch of the interior. This is my dad's ride. I usually hate SUVs but I really love this SUV. This happens to be Acura's best selling car at the moment.

Honda Accord (TRIED OUT ALREADY)
This is my fiancee's car. 03' EX loaded. I like it more then my TL inside and navi and dual climate are something I can't live without on long trips now. The only bad thing is that the back side of the 03 Accord is the uglest thing I ever seen and the car isn't as fun to drive (handling sucks big time and lots of body roll compare to a TL). If you plan to spend 30k.....I wait for the 04 TL if you can (even tho the new price might be mid 30s)
Old 04-11-2003, 11:03 AM
Safety Car

How about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi?
Old 04-11-2003, 11:48 AM
Instructor

Infiniti G35 Sedan. Test drive one and you will fall in love with it. And don't tell your dad about the poor gas mileage. That car rocks and the Desert Platinum color is beautiful.
Old 04-11-2003, 04:31 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by Pauli
Infiniti G35 Sedan. Test drive one and you will fall in love with it. And don't tell your dad about the poor gas mileage. That car rocks and the Desert Platinum color is beautiful.

HAHA, my dad is so considering the MPG for every freaking CAR!! HAHA! I will tell him, but I dont like the shape of the car, it looks odd. and the interior cant even come close to a Accord..

Originally posted by hzm82 If you plan to spend 30k.....I wait for the 04 TL if you can (even tho the new price might be mid 30s)
LOL Read again at the TOP .. I am gonna buy the 2004 TL for myself, but need a car for my dad, i aint getting two 2004 TL's, thats just ODD LOL

Recommend me something good!
Old 04-11-2003, 04:45 PM
Instructor

Your dad should get the 2003 TL-S and you should get the 2004 TL. Both of you will have two cars that looks great and drives great. Your dad should check out the 2003 Lexus ES300 if he doesn't want the 2003 TL. I love how the interior looks.
Old 04-11-2003, 04:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by InspireSaber
Your dad should get the 2003 TL-S and you should get the 2004 TL. Both of you will have two cars that looks great and drives great. Your dad should check out the 2003 Lexus ES300 if he doesn't want the 2003 TL. I love how the interior looks.
The es300 have tranny issue as well
correct me if i'm wrong.

btw, :yack:ES300
Old 04-11-2003, 04:52 PM
Instructor

I heard from the car reviews sites that the ES300's computer chip that controls when the transmission will upshift or downshift is a little slow.
Old 04-11-2003, 05:03 PM
Race Director

either way The ES300 is OOOGGGLLLLYYY!! never even CONSIDER IT! its just a dressed up Camry, But TL you cant even tell its a Accord
Old 04-11-2003, 05:27 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by 2004TL

HAHA, my dad is so considering the MPG for every freaking CAR!! HAHA! I will tell him, but I dont like the shape of the car, it looks odd. and the interior cant even come close to a Accord..

LOL Read again at the TOP .. I am gonna buy the 2004 TL for myself, but need a car for my dad, i aint getting two 2004 TL's, thats just ODD LOL

Recommend me something good!
Well, can't help you with the MPG on the G35, but I LOVE the look of the Sedan (and Coupe). Stare at it awhile -- maybe it'll grow on you. In any case, it's a fun car to drive and has loads of torque and is RWD.
Old 04-11-2003, 05:31 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by Pauli

Well, can't help you with the MPG on the G35, but I LOVE the look of the Sedan (and Coupe). Stare at it awhile -- maybe it'll grow on you. In any case, it's a fun car to drive and has loads of torque and is RWD.
Since I am gonna get 2004 TL later, I am considering getting my dad a SUV, I think a SUV will be better for him..
Old 04-11-2003, 06:36 PM
Advanced

YOU: Wait for the 2004 TL

DAD: Lexus ES300!
It is not a DRESSED UP CAMRY, if anything, our TL's are closer to an Accord, that the Camry is to an ES. My bro just got a 03 ES. That thing is tits! I wasn't to crazy about the car, until I went to the dealer and checked it out. I was so impressed. The navi is insane! He's a family man, so I can see "dads" in this thing just fine. Drives like a dream.

Other consideration for pops:
Caddy CTS. You through on some *****in' rims and tires and damn you got a great car. I drove one at a Moter Trend Test Drive and I was so impressed. It handles great. We drove it on an old air field, with water slicks and everything... with a professional driver telling us to push it. That was a fun day indeed! Check it out. I know the styling ain't for everybody...

Just my two cents.
Old 04-11-2003, 11:26 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by ntls
YOU: Wait for the 2004 TL

DAD: Lexus ES300!
It is not a DRESSED UP CAMRY, if anything, our TL's are closer to an Accord, that the Camry is to an ES. My bro just got a 03 ES. That thing is tits! I wasn't to crazy about the car, until I went to the dealer and checked it out. I was so impressed. The navi is insane! He's a family man, so I can see "dads" in this thing just fine. Drives like a dream.

Other consideration for pops:
Caddy CTS. You through on some *****in' rims and tires and damn you got a great car. I drove one at a Moter Trend Test Drive and I was so impressed. It handles great. We drove it on an old air field, with water slicks and everything... with a professional driver telling us to push it. That was a fun day indeed! Check it out. I know the styling ain't for everybody...

Just my two cents.
Like I said, the ES 300 looks gross, and I bet most people would agree with me.. The CTS first of all is a American car, Second it doesnt look all that, and third it will cost more to repair a Caddy and also the inside doesnt appeal to me too much, it doesnt scream come drive me.. Unlike the Accord or TL.. I dont know maybe psychologically my brain is stuck on HONDA's or Maybe Honda just makes the Darn Best Cars

HELP! I need a response LOL

we are going tomm. to this big strip with bunch of dealerships, any other cars or SUV's I should consider driving?
Old 04-12-2003, 12:41 AM
Race Director

I like the new TSX, its so much better looking than the Accord but Its only a V4! Even if it had 240 HP, I still dont want a V4..

Also Honda V4 Makes more noise than V6 and isnt as smooth..
Damnit Make a TSX V6 and there will be lines for orders..
Old 04-12-2003, 01:00 AM
Advanced

I just went through the same mental torture a few weeks ago and ended up with an Audi A6 3.0, but this car may be a little more than you are looking to spend. I would definitely recommend at least looking at the Audi A4 3.0 which someone else already mentioned.

Other cars I considered/looked at...

Jaguar X-type
Lexus ES300
BMW 3 series
Mercedes C class (240/320)
Infinity G35
Maxima
Old 04-12-2003, 01:50 AM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

go with the TL-S
Old 04-12-2003, 04:38 AM
2nd Gear

2004TL,

I think that your cost on the accord is too high. With the proper deal I think that your decision should be easier. MSRP on EX-V6 with nav is 28,260. I think that you should be able to get 25,400 or so. My mother bought an ex-v6 without nav for 23,480 in Jan. I got her a great deal, but prices have probably come down slightly since then. Check the forum at edmunds. Invoice seems fairly attainable. Base TL with nav should run almost 3500 more and type s about 5500. My dad has a 2003 base TL. I have only driven it a couple times and think it is slightly nicer, but I'd say accord is probably the better value.

Drove Accord, Passat, Camry, and an 03 maxima GLE when helping my mother. It came down to the accord and the max and the Accord edged out the max based on resale value. Although I have a 96 max and it has been very solid. Strange that resale on the accord is significantly higher than the Max when Consumer reports considers max to be most reliable car in the class. Big incentives on 03 max's though could push a GLE below 24,000. I'd probably stay away from the 04 max as it is in first year of US production. Majority at Maxima.org seems rather unimpressed with the 04 max.
Old 04-12-2003, 07:39 AM
Oracle Apps/Database Dude

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
fully decked out accord with voice Navi = $26K
TL with Navi = $28.5K
TL type s = $29K
TL type s with Navi = $31.5K

Go with the newer platform Accord. You'll regret a TL if you buy now bcuz it'll chang drasticaly in September 03 when the new ones come out.
Old 04-12-2003, 12:22 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by 2001TL4KCdude
fully decked out accord with voice Navi = $26K
TL with Navi = $28.5K
TL type s = $29K
TL type s with Navi = $31.5K

Go with the newer platform Accord. You'll regret a TL if you buy now bcuz it'll chang drasticaly in September 03 when the new ones come out.
I know but I am reconsidering getting a Accord because I dont like the looks of the exterior..

Also Fully Loaded Accord came to $28 for me?
WHY?
Because the Fog Lights are $330 or so (standard on TL)
Cassette Player is $300 (Standard on TL)

Also I like XENON Lights a LOT! But dont want a car that will be old soon.

Also TL has got new 2.9% financing because it will be old soon..

And They are going CHEAP!

But Still Acura TL is gonna be old and I will BE CRYING :o and b|tching! So refer me to another car, Except for TL or Accord.. And recommend me some SUVS under $40k.
Old 04-12-2003, 12:33 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by riship
I'd probably stay away from the 04 max as it is in first year of US production. Majority at Maxima.org seems rather unimpressed with the 04 max.
LOL what you think the 2003 Accord is? Its in its first year and in US Production, And I hear people having some probs.. I mean thats gonna happen no matter what anyone says.. Look the 2003 TL Type-S STILL HAVE TRANNY PROBS..

Anyways Someone mentioned Jaguar and Thats not a reliable car to consider and its made by ford and is domestic..

Someone else told me to get Audi but I heard like people said, German Cars cost more to repair, and later have more probs (EX. Electrical) I will have my test drive the A4, but on there website THERES SO MANY Different types of A4's.. Also is the navigation built into the instrument panel? Because I actually wanted a normal Navigation so I could do a Navi Conversion on it and watch TV..
Old 04-12-2003, 04:13 PM
2nd Gear

Originally posted by 2004TL

LOL what you think the 2003 Accord is? Its in its first year and in US Production, And I hear people having some probs.. I mean thats gonna happen no matter what anyone says.. Look the 2003 TL Type-S STILL HAVE TRANNY PROBS..

Yeah but what I meant was that prior maxima's had always been produced in japan. This is the first year that any max's have been produced in the US. While this may be a new Accord, the Marysville factory has been building them for years. Perhaps there is no difference but in my mind there is. Also I think Marysville is known for good quality. Maxima has always been known for exceptional quality but I think Altima does not have such a great reputation. In my mind Nissan's Smyrna plant is a notch below their Japan plants or marysville. Maybe I am being picky as I haven't even seen the 04 Max. However according to members at maxima.org the interior is definitely of lower quality than prior maximas.