New to board, want advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2001, 10:33 PM

Talking New to board, want advice

Hi. I've been a Legend owner for 4 years and will be selling my car shortly to go to school. Been on the Legend forums for a while, but I'm really interested in the TL lately. I've met Tanner before and he's got a killer car. Can the TL-S be modded exactly like the TL, leading to equally proportional horsepower gains? I'm debating which one to get later. Thank you.

------------------
Old 04-02-2001, 10:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
You went backwards a little...you mean, can the TL have the performance of the TL-S... I think so, with Intake, Headers and Exhaust, and you'll probably have money left over for a 75 shot!
Ed

------------------
Acura-TL.com - Forum Moderator

'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...
= ------------------>
Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?
Old 04-02-2001, 10:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Welcome to the Board! I used to also own a Legend, beautiful car! Ed already answered your question. I too am a member of the Legend forum.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2TL w/ Navigation
NightHawk Black Pearl Exterior, Ebony Leather.
  • Sunroof Visor
  • 35% Johnson & Johnson Metallic Tint All Around
  • Acura Burlwood Shiftknob
  • Alpine CHM-S620 6-Disc CD-Changer
    In da works...
  • Video in my Navi Kit.
  • Playstation 2
  • New Nighthawk Black Pearl Paint
  • JL Audio 12w6 Subwoofer
  • Audiobahn A1800E Amplifier
Old 04-02-2001, 10:40 PM

I think hes wondering if the typeS can be modded with the same stuff as tanner's and have hp gains equal to tan's normal tl. Like say h/i/e gives 50 to the tl, would it also give 50 to the typeS...
Old 04-02-2001, 10:43 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm not sure your question was answered as posed. In fact, the TL-S can be modified the same as a TL, but with proportionately dissimilar HP gains.

Here's where it gets interesting: headers. Comptech headers add about 12-15 HP to the wheels of a TL, but on a TL-S they add more than 30 HP! Thus, it's not too hard or expensive to get over 300 HP at the crank of a TL-S - just add headers and CAI for well under $2000 installed.

And no offense, Tann, but this is "honest" horsepower, and not 300 HP from NOS...

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, tint, wood and Whistler
Old 04-02-2001, 10:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Danny with a silver stock:
I think hes wondering if the typeS can be modded with the same stuff as tanner's and have hp gains equal to tan's normal tl. Like say h/i/e gives 50 to the tl, would it also give 50 to the typeS...
Ha ha, looks like we were thinking the same thing, and replied at the same time! (See my reply above)

Old 04-02-2001, 10:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thumbs up

Man with the right mods the type S can kill the best ... The Type S is very fast, very nice... Still front wheel drive though ... I love front wheel drive, but it puts a car in a different class when its fast and its rear wheel drive...

S.Holla ...

------------------
2001 Acura TL/Nighthawk Black/Einkei AKA 17's/Nitto Extreme 450's (225/17/50)Type-S Shifter/Spoiler/AEM CAI w/Bypass Valve/Custom Grille/ Riceboy AcuraPads/ SuperSonicSpark$/ Pix real soon!!!
Old 04-02-2001, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by Gomez:
Here's where it gets interesting: headers. Comptech headers add about 12-15 HP to the wheels of a TL, but on a TL-S they add more than 30 HP!
holy cow...is that the hp gain that CL-S's have been getting with headers? Also, could you please explain the reasoning for why theres such a big difference?

Old 04-02-2001, 11:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Danny with a silver stock:
holy cow...is that the hp gain that CL-S's have been getting with headers? Also, could you please explain the reasoning for why theres such a big difference?
I can't explain it, but can theorize: the S has improved airflow dynamics, and perhaps the headers are better able to exploit this. Also, the S has a higher redline, which allows proportionately greater peak power (but not really torque, see graph).

Either way, check this dyno out for a before and after header install on a CL-S:

Remember, this dyno is for HP gains at the wheels, and the gains at the crankshaft will be somewhat higher. Crank HP, by the way, is what manufacturers use for rating. For example, our TL's 225 HP rating is taken at the crank.

Also, see this thread: http://www.acura-cl.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000726.html

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, tint, wood and Whistler

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Gomez on April 03, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 04-04-2001, 11:00 PM

Thanks for the replies. You guys got the jist of my question. I take it the consensus is that the TL-S with mods will produce greater gains than the TL with the same mods. That will mean some killer HP then. I will look into it. Thanks again.

------------------
Old 04-04-2001, 11:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Higher compression ration is a major factor...more air flowing and with improved parts just takes advantage of it.