New Batter

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 12:05 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Batter

Hey guys,

So my AC Delco just died on me and I was forced to buy a new battery.

Took my car into Midas to get my oil changed, and have a look at some batteries.

I ended up buying a Interstate MTP-24 (Mega-Tron Plus - 85 Months - 800 CCA) battery for $125 Canadian.

After my purchase people were telling me I paid too much, what do you guys think, and what are your experiences with this battery/company.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:16 AM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
i wouldve gotten a Optima Redtop for 80 bucks US. or if you have the money, yellowtop (which is top of the line for about 130-140USD).. Optima's are definitly the best way to go for batteries.. i dont know why you spent so much on an Interstate Battery.. which should only be like 40-50USD...
Old 12-06-2005, 08:51 AM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronnn
i wouldve gotten a Optima Redtop for 80 bucks US. or if you have the money, yellowtop (which is top of the line for about 130-140USD).. Optima's are definitly the best way to go for batteries.. i dont know why you spent so much on an Interstate Battery.. which should only be like 40-50USD...
I agree...I've got the redtop. I can't really say if you've overpaid or not, just get online and see if you can find it at other stores for cheaper...or go to the manufacturer site and see how much they sell it for. If you paid more than what they sell it for, you definitely got ripped off.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:57 AM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Alright so I was bored and decided to look for you. Sorry to say it but yes you did get ripped off. Here is the link to the Interstate Batteries page for the battery you bought. The top end price that they have listed is $105.95 US which comes out to about $122 CAD. Sorry bud

Interstate Batteries
Old 12-06-2005, 02:33 PM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who cares? No point crying over spilled milk. You paid for it. Just forget about it and move on.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:06 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Originally Posted by phipark
Who cares? No point crying over spilled milk. You paid for it. Just forget about it and move on.
Yeah, no point in crying over it but you can't learn from your mistakes if you never knew you made them.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:15 PM
Not Asian

Originally Posted by snowman81
Yeah, no point in crying over it but you can't learn from your mistakes if you never knew you made them.
True, now he knows to research anything and everything before purchasing.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:41 PM
02 TLS SSM - Hi Oh Silvr!

Not necessarily a rip off

As the others have said, you need to research the price of batteries if that is what you diagnosed. If you were not sure whether it was the battery or another electrical component and you asked the Midas dealer to check it out. They probably did a diagnosis on the electrical system and found the battery to be defective. They probably charged you for their time in the cost of the battery.

Even if you asked them for a new battery, they could have charged you for their time and effort in installing the battery in terms of a higher retail price for the battery.

When the dealer told me that the battery was going and that a new Delco was $125 US, I went to Costco and purchased a Kirkland battery for $40 US and put it in myself.

It reminds me of an old saying, "There is no such thing as a free lunch." If you want to save money you have to research parts and the price of labor, or do as much as you can yourself...
Old 12-06-2005, 08:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by BLADE RUNNER
As the others have said, you need to research the price of batteries if that is what you diagnosed. If you were not sure whether it was the battery or another electrical component and you asked the Midas dealer to check it out. They probably did a diagnosis on the electrical system and found the battery to be defective. They probably charged you for their time in the cost of the battery.

Even if you asked them for a new battery, they could have charged you for their time and effort in installing the battery in terms of a higher retail price for the battery.

When the dealer told me that the battery was going and that a new Delco was $125 US, I went to Costco and purchased a Kirkland battery for $40 US and put it in myself.

It reminds me of an old saying, "There is no such thing as a free lunch." If you want to save money you have to research parts and the price of labor, or do as much as you can yourself...
Good point