Need Serious Help Fast

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 08:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Serious Help Fast

Just recently, my radio would cut off along with my maintenance light popping on and also mt tach would go crazy. This all happens for about 2 seconds and then all is back top normal. The problem is, is that it seems to be happening more frequently. Did notice when I cut off the heater and radio. The problem went away. I talked to a service guy over the phone, he said it might not be the alternator because of the maintenance light. which is what I thought it was. Please help. Diagnostics at the dealership cost 85 bucks an hour. If it is the alternator, I don't want to get stranded.
Thanx guys
Old 05-03-2004, 08:55 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
find a mechanic with a diagnostic computer... they have the same computers and charge a hell of a lot less.....I had my engine light come on, scared the sh*t out of me, ended up going to my mechanic, plugged in the little hand-held computer. He looked at me, laughed, and told me to tighten my GAS CAP!!!! Yes you heard right the car's RED CAUTION light came on because the gas cap was off, it happened two weeks later, periodically, I checked my gas cap, it was fine, but before embarrassing myself again, I opened the hood and checked all the fluid levels and the caps for everything. The brake fluid cap was off a little (did my brakes the week eairlier), I tightened the cap (was a b*tch to get on, took 2-4 min for 1 cap) restarted the car and BINGO, GONE!!!

By the way, the mechanic didn't charge me for the diagnostic test, only took him 30 sec, but a dealer would have charged me for a half or full hour for doing the same thing.

If the alternator IS gone og to a dealer to get it done it you feel more comfortable, but don;t pay them for a test, it cost the same as if they were working on your car......maenwhile they are sittting in your driverseat playing with a computer!!!!! completly stupid
Old 05-03-2004, 03:23 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i think if it was the alternator it would show a battery symbol lit up? Atleast that's what happened on my older accord.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:30 PM
Intermediate

thanx for the advice guys. i think ur right about the battery light coming on. the problem seems to happen whenever the compressor turns on. whether it be the climate control/window defroster or when the engine is trying to cool itself. any other advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:58 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems to me like if it were the alternator your car might intermittently die. I had one go on a Civic I had awhile back and my car did this. If you go to your local Autozone, they can test your alternator for you for free. Sounds like you may have something wrong w/ the electrical system. The alternator keeps the battery charged and all the accessories running. If the car acts up when a load is placed on the electrical system, it could be the alternator as well. This is somewhat iffy. Have the alternator checked 1st at a local parts house, then if that's not it, go from there.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:04 PM
TL-S driver

why would they charge you to find the problem? What year is your car? I guess your no longer under warranty? Doesn't sound like an alternator though, my friends alternator went and he had none of those problems.