Need an opinions on CAI...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2002, 05:36 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Need an opinions on CAI...

I also posted this in OT.....

My wife tried to surprise me on this for my B-day.

She called the local Acura dealer wanting to know if she could buy the "Cold Air Return" (I gotta love her ) for my TL. The idiot service manager told her that it was a bad idea, saying that water can get in the engine and you're only getting 2-3 more HP.

I know about the valve to protect against the water damage, but I have a couple of other ????.

I know you get a throatier noise.

I currently have a K&N drop-in, how much more power will I get with the CAI? Is it noticeable?

Dealer wanted $100 to install, I can do a search on the instructions, but how difficult is it really and how long does it take?

And finally, I think I know the answer I'm gonna get, but I'm gonna ask anyway, should I get it?

Anyone out there have the short ram intake? Performance differences between the two?

Lastly, if I did end up getting it, I'd of course get it from Tim.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-22-2002, 07:12 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont have my cai yet (plannin on gettin one and installin it during my spring break) so i cant tell u from experience, but from wut ive read...

1) CAI power is definitely noticable, i think gains around 10 hp
2) installation is actually pretty simple
3) yes u should get it
4) a majority of ppl say CAI is better than short ram

if u wanna find out for urself u could jus do a search
Old 02-22-2002, 07:14 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Need an opinions on CAI...

First too many questions!!!!

Originally posted by goaub
She called the local Acura dealer wanting to know if she could buy the "Cold Air Return" (I gotta love her ) for my TL. The idiot service manager told her that it was a bad idea, saying that water can get in the engine and you're only getting 2-3 more HP.
That's funny . at least she tried. What he said is true, but he is still an idiot.

I know you get a throatier noise.
YES, the short ram is louder.

I currently have a K&N drop-in, how much more power will I get with the CAI? Is it noticeable?
Good choice, if you remove the resornator, which you have to remove anyways if you install a CAI. You will get the same power and cool air of the CAI, but no water worries.

Dealer wanted $100 to install, I can do a search on the instructions, but how difficult is it really and how long does it take?
Really easy, but you have to remove the bumper to do either "remove resornator" or "install a CAI".

And finally, I think I know the answer I'm gonna get, but I'm gonna ask anyway, should I get it?
The answer is NO. see you didn't know the answer

Anyone out there have the short ram intake? Performance differences between the two?
I had it, it sucks.....very loud and the tubing gets very hot.

Lastly, if I did end up getting it, I'd of course get it from Tim.
You got this one on the money. Who else can you buy from!!!!
Old 02-23-2002, 12:42 AM
Super Troll

go for it... you will love it....
Old 02-23-2002, 05:24 AM
Banned

goaub:
Bitium loves to make sure to tell anyone that has the letters C, A, and I anywhere in their post that just removing the resonator etc is the same thing. Personally Bitium I'd have to disagree...the CAI feels a good bit safer to do, I'd be worried about sucking in stuff from underneath.

As for the CAI, I got it for $220 shipped with the bypass valve (shipped 2 day at that, obviously not from here), installed that puppy in 15 mins, and have been happy ever since. Don't you dare pay someone $100 when, for $60 more you could use that money to buy a set of springs

Austin519
Old 02-23-2002, 09:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Having previously owned an AEM, my advice is to go with the Injen CAI. Fits perfectly and the filter doesn't sit too low, so chances of water ingestion are more or less nil (unless you drive in water deep enough to reach the foglight area, which is the level at which the filter sits).
Old 02-23-2002, 12:17 PM
Retired MOD

Lightbulb

Originally posted by Austin519
goaub:
Bitium loves to make sure to tell anyone that has the letters C, A, and I anywhere in their post that just removing the resonator etc is the same thing. Personally Bitium I'd have to disagree...the CAI feels a good bit safer to do, I'd be worried about sucking in stuff from underneath.
I just saw CAI :p

How is the CAI safer

Of course is not the same thing It's better
Old 02-23-2002, 05:29 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks everyone....

I appreciate the informed responses. I definitely won't do the SRI. I'd hate to be hearing noiss at idle. If I get anything, it'lll be the CAI.

Thanks again!
Old 02-23-2002, 05:42 PM
Retired MOD

Re: Thanks everyone....

I appreciate the informed responses. I definitely won't do the SRI. I'd hate to be hearing noiss at idle. If I get anything, it'lll be the CAI.

Thanks again!
HAHA....like the CAI doesn't make those noises. Same thing, just not as bad. Why can people belive the Airbox is the best.