Need help with brake rotors and pads????

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 10:41 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with brake rotors and pads????

I have been looking for rotors and pads for my 2002 type-s for about 3 months. So far no luck. I have tried any kind of online store everything looks the same. Next e-bay I just don't trust what comes from e-bay. I heard horror stories for fake products. Yes on e-bay is cheap but I much rather pay extra just to make sure that I am going to buy quality product.
Also my pads are pretty much dead and all four rotors are in very bad shape.

I need help deciding what kind of rotors i should get.
My choices so far are Power Stop drilled or EBC drilled and slotted

And what is better drilled, drilled and slotted or slotted????

Very confused
Please help
Old 12-19-2007, 11:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well we have a vendor on here that sells ROtors and Brake pads. Search the black market tab and you will find all your answers there. Oh and for what rotors I think are better would be the slotted rotors, but I guess it depends on your prefrence.... Good Luck!
Old 12-20-2007, 01:44 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Slotted rotors are less prone to cracking than drilled rotors. However neither offer significant benefits for most consumers. Both of them will reduce pad life and increase the possibility of brake noise.

I would go with a high quality "plain" rotor. Try Centric's Premium Rotors.

As for pads, it depends what you are looking for. Performance pads will be dustier and noisier than an OE pad.

Hawk HPS pads offer a good balance of performance, longevity, dust, and noise. They aren't completely silent, but they offer an improvement in performance over OE.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

i agree...unless youre doing some serious racing, then youre better off with rotors with the most surface area, i.e., plain OEM rotors. You could look into getting brembo blanks...checkout out tirerack.com. For pads, look into getting ceramic pads...that'll cut down on brake dust and have little to no noise.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:51 AM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
keep in mind, you want to go with the good, if not the best, rotors and pads. You can't even believe the difference in the braking power.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:29 AM
-Arsenic-

Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
Slotted rotors dissipate heat better than OEM. I would highly reccomend Rotora slotted rotors. Mine are great.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Whats your budget and driving style? Thats going to push your buying decision in a certain direction. Do you want to spend 100-300-500$$$?? We azine nuts can hook you up with each level of performance-longevity-price range
Between us, most brands have been tested and results known.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 02type-s
Slotted rotors dissipate heat better than OEM.

i agree, but the amount of heat that slotted rotors are intended to dissipate is on the level of racing. Most consumers' driving habits dont generate enough heat to justify getting slotted rotors. Most consumers would want maximum stopping power so plain rotors would be the best choice, IMHO.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by SodaLuvr
Slotted rotors are less prone to cracking than drilled rotors. However neither offer significant benefits for most consumers. Both of them will reduce pad life and increase the possibility of brake noise.

I would go with a high quality "plain" rotor. Try Centric's Premium Rotors.

As for pads, it depends what you are looking for. Performance pads will be dustier and noisier than an OE pad.

Hawk HPS pads offer a good balance of performance, longevity, dust, and noise. They aren't completely silent, but they offer an improvement in performance over OE.
Slotted rotors are technically less prone to cracking than drilled rotors but if you find the right company who does the machining then you have nothing to worry about. Slotted or drilled rotors do have an advantage over plain rotors. The slots carry away debris and gas built up in between the rotor and pad and prevent the pad from glazing and they help dissipate heat better. Coupled with a good pad the slotted or drilled or drilled/slotted rotor are better than a plain rotor. The company who makes them is also important, like you stated. Centric offers premium rotors and all STOPTECH's rotors are Centric's premium blanks that are machined for slots or holes. ROTORA is also excellent.

Originally Posted by TLover8888
i agree...unless youre doing some serious racing, then youre better off with rotors with the most surface area, i.e., plain OEM rotors. You could look into getting brembo blanks...checkout out tirerack.com. For pads, look into getting ceramic pads...that'll cut down on brake dust and have little to no noise.
OE replacement rotors like STOPTECH SportStop or ROTORA slotted rotors or whatever brand are the same diameter and thickness as stock or plain rotors. So the surface area is the same.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:01 PM
Instructor

my friend who is a mech for Hondas said to use OEM, they are great for normal drivers (non-racer)
Old 12-20-2007, 02:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

i say save some money, go with regular OEM rotors, and spend the difference on other mods
Old 12-20-2007, 02:56 PM
10th Gear

Thank everyone for your help. Now I'm leanning towards plain or slotted.
By the way I am pretty agressive driver I depend on my brakes a lot. That is the main reason for trying to get something better than stock. My 02 Type-S has 50000 miles and all rotors are in bad condition. I'm defenetly gona get ceramic brake pads. i just found european rotors called ATE.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...ar=&perfCode=S

Anybody knows anything about them?????

thank again to all of you
Old 12-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

just remember that you dont mistake your driving habits for shitty rotors. The ones that originally came with the car just flat out suck, no matter what your driving habit is. Any other reputable plain rotor will be a major improvement over the factory ones. Just another thought to consider (and confuse you ). Good luck on your search!
Old 12-20-2007, 04:17 PM
Team Owner

ok time to express my love of RacingBrake rotors with their ET300 pads.
If you are a hardcore driver and want awesome stopping- these are amazing units!
For superior braking, change the front calipers to 2 piston type and go with SS brake lines.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:00 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by villibg
Thank everyone for your help. Now I'm leanning towards plain or slotted.
By the way I am pretty agressive driver I depend on my brakes a lot. That is the main reason for trying to get something better than stock. My 02 Type-S has 50000 miles and all rotors are in bad condition. I'm defenetly gona get ceramic brake pads. i just found european rotors called ATE.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...ar=&perfCode=S

Anybody knows anything about them?????

thank again to all of you
There's nothing special about ATE rotors. Get a set of Centric Premium Rotors. They are much cheaper, will last just as long (if not longer), and have a better finish on them. The rotor "hat" on the Centrics are also painted black, which gives them a nice appearance.

If you are an aggressive driver, buy a set of Axxis Ultimate brake pads. You can buy them on eBay. These pads offer EXCELLENT stopping power but at the expense of noise and dust. Proper pad bed-in helps reduce the noise though.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:07 AM
Instructor

There are no noticible benefits of slotted or drilled rotors in average every day driving.

I'd recommend going with blanks for the increased braking surface area and to get the dual piston caliper upgrade. Ive been using OEM rotors with a slight hint of brake vibration and no virbration at all after the caliper upgrade...

OEM are fine for my aggressive driving needs. no reason to spend the extra money unless you want the looks.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:26 AM
Team Owner

I will go head to head at the racetrack with anyone on OE stuff and laugh after lap 2 when their brakes are cooked already. Even stop and go driving generate huge amounts of heat- think of what it takes to go from 50-20 or 40 to 0 in a hurry - time after time with no hi speed flowing air to cool the rotors.
Basic physics of brake rotors are discussed in detail on heeltoeauto.com tech section.
Vibration from OE rotors- and you dont mind that?
Old 12-21-2007, 11:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by red_tl
my friend who is a mech for Hondas said to use OEM, they are great for normal drivers (non-racer)

Um no, they suck. Look how many people have complained about warped rotors. Hell even Honda admitted a problem and issued a TSB to replace them.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by red_tl
i say save some money, go with regular OEM rotors, and spend the difference on other mods
Have you guys read anything on these rotors for this car or had any firsthand experience? The OE rotors are horrible; they are prone to warpage and constantly need replacement. That is why so many members opt to get aftermarket rotors like ROTORA, STOPTECH, Racingbrake, Power Slot, etc.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Have you guys read anything on these rotors for this car or had any firsthand experience? The OE rotors are horrible; they are prone to warpage and constantly need replacement. That is why so many members opt to get aftermarket rotors like ROTORA, STOPTECH, Racingbrake, Power Slot, etc.

sorry, when i meant OEM rotors, i meant getting plain rotors..yeah, ive read about the warping issues.

Originally Posted by acitydweller
There are no noticible benefits of slotted or drilled rotors in average every day driving.

I'd recommend going with blanks for the increased braking surface area and to get the dual piston caliper upgrade. Ive been using OEM rotors with a slight hint of brake vibration and no virbration at all after the caliper upgrade...

OEM are fine for my aggressive driving needs. no reason to spend the extra money unless you want the looks.
thats the point i've been trying to make

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
I will go head to head at the racetrack with anyone on OE stuff and laugh after lap 2 when their brakes are cooked already. Even stop and go driving generate huge amounts of heat- think of what it takes to go from 50-20 or 40 to 0 in a hurry - time after time with no hi speed flowing air to cool the rotors.
Basic physics of brake rotors are discussed in detail on heeltoeauto.com tech section.
Vibration from OE rotors- and you dont mind that?

again, like i said, unless youre doing some serious RACING (i.e., racetrack), youre better off with plain rotors. Of course if youre on a racetrack, you wouldnt get plain You obviously werent paying attention to the previous posts. And you usually do not go 40 MPH in stop and go traffic...its usually 15-20. So brake fade is not a concern...cause if thats the case, my brakes would be failing EVERY SINGLE DAY because i'm always stuck in freakin' NYC traffic
Old 12-21-2007, 01:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SodaLuvr
There's nothing special about ATE rotors. Get a set of Centric Premium Rotors. They are much cheaper, will last just as long (if not longer), and have a better finish on them. The rotor "hat" on the Centrics are also painted black, which gives them a nice appearance.

If you are an aggressive driver, buy a set of Axxis Ultimate brake pads. You can buy them on eBay. These pads offer EXCELLENT stopping power but at the expense of noise and dust. Proper pad bed-in helps reduce the noise though.
True, Centric are premium rotors and STOPTECH uses Centric blanks to make their slotted and drilled/slotted rotors, and ROTORA also uses Centric blanks too on some discs. They are both e-coated black on the vanes and the hub and most rotors now have the phosphate coating on the disc to prevent unsightly rust or oxidation.

I had Axxis Ultimates on my CL-S and although they had great bite they squealed and gave off a lot of dust. Maybe they changed their formulation since then (that was a couple years ago) and maybe they are better now but most of my customers didn't like the dust/noise either.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Team Owner

California traffic is often 70 to nothing and a semi truck looking for space to stop diving in front of you. We hit the off ramps at 80 normally
My point is, you say you drive hard and in traffic. Until you have tried one of the specialty rotors with their better materials and design, you dont know what braking is!
I love the 2 piston calipers- but they would be nothing on OE rotors and unknown pads.

You guys should really look at RacingBrakes ET300 street pad. I replaced Hawk HPS with them and can tell the improvement in many areas
Josh and his rotora stuff are also a good solid performer
Old 12-21-2007, 03:15 PM
Instructor

Ditto for driving in the DC area .... I go from 75+ to zero all the time on 95 in a very short space. The number of f*cking idiot drivers in the area is also amazing and necessitates many quick stops/slow downs from various speeds.

My OEM brakes are warped all to hell, and I'm debating on getting the rotors turned/trued, or just sucking it up and buying new rotors/pads. If I buy new, I was debating on Brembo blanks or Rotora slotted. I know most shops can't turn/true slotted rotors, but my experience is that if they warp once, and you turn/true them, they are still likely to warp again.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:19 PM
Team Owner

Thats no longer true, it can be done but good slotted rotors will wear down to the end of the slots before they warp
Old 12-21-2007, 03:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sb65

My OEM brakes are warped all to hell, and I'm debating on getting the rotors turned/trued, or just sucking it up and buying new rotors/pads. If I buy new, I was debating on Brembo blanks or Rotora slotted.

if youre planning on keeping the car for a long time, i would suggest getting different rotors. they arent that much and you can put them on yourself. Brembo blanks go for 59 bucks each.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:32 PM
Advanced

for a person whose been thru this decision
get drilled + slotted with performance pads...

if you wana save a little you can just get the drilled + slotted for the front, but remember to get the appropraite pads...

its sorta upto you , how much power and $$ you wanna spend, fyi the stock brakes are not as good as they should be for a 2002 car...im my opinion that's why i got all 4 on drilled + slotted ...remember to follow the brake in procedure.. so you bed the setup properly!
Old 12-24-2007, 08:04 AM
Racer

just remember that you dont mistake your driving habits for shitty rotors. The ones that originally came with the car just flat out suck, no matter what your driving habit is. Any other reputable plain rotor will be a major improvement over the factory ones. Just another thought to consider (and confuse you ). Good luck on your search!

Yup, I agree, my rotors give me the steering wheel shimmy at hight speeds, this at only 45k Km.
Wanted something better than OEM, without spending gobs of cash.
Looked into Brembo, but the guy at one my local shops, suggested Mountain rotors (from Japan) and Hawk HPS pads. Very happy with the combo so far.
I get more brake dust, but better stopping power.
J.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:11 AM
10th Gear

Thank you you guys so much for all the advices.
I have decided to go with Centric premium rotors for all four wheels and Axxis ULT brake pads. For the extra money that i saved i'm getting AEM intake and pulleys so i can give some horse power to my TL

Thanks again guys