NEED HELP/ AEM CAI Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 07:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation NEED HELP/ AEM CAI Install

Please help,

I'm trying to install my AEM CAI for my 03 TLS, but the damn thing just won't fix. The filter hits the fog lights!!!!!!! I been told to shove the filter as far the the pipe permits (theres the housing which stops the pipe from going any further). What should I do? Should I put the filter in vertically (chop off the bend)? It should clear?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Old 02-12-2005, 08:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mikechui
Please help,

I'm trying to install my AEM CAI for my 03 TLS, but the damn thing just won't fix. The filter hits the fog lights!!!!!!! I been told to shove the filter as far the the pipe permits (theres the housing which stops the pipe from going any further). What should I do? Should I put the filter in vertically (chop off the bend)? It should clear?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

tried sawing some of it off.......

do a search there is a DIY link for this .
Old 02-12-2005, 08:09 PM
Intermediate

I've tried to search but cannot find a good answer, should i cut the rubber housing inside the filter so I can slide the pipe in further?

For now I have left the filter, where the bypass valve should be and it seems to work as a short ram. However there is now a loud humming sound coming from the engine, any ideas what it is?
Old 02-12-2005, 08:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Talking

I've tried to search but cannot find a good answer, should i cut the rubber housing inside the filter so I can slide the pipe in further?

For now I have left the filter, where the bypass valve should be and it seems to work as a short ram. However there is now a loud humming sound coming from the engine, any ideas what it is?

yes, i beleve its better to cut it at the end that is going to be stuck inside the filter. i remenber when i ordered my AEM Cai . for some reason t didnt fiy neither i had to cut and cut. i thought i was sent the wrong part i ended up cutting it into three rotating the other side upwards go i could stick the filter in at and a180 degree and ___ instead of | bcos sometimes the tightening brackets provided push the rubber end of the filter of if too tight. i had to cut mine in 3 smooth grind both surfaces, clean the pipe out with aair compressor and then installed the bypass valve put the filter on and then i went to the junk yard and got me a rubber booster pipe with a 3.5 OD/3 ID to connect the two pipes. it was teribble, but it was the price i paid for messing up. its great though after its all done
Old 02-12-2005, 08:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Talking

one more thing, this is the mistake i made make sure u have the right part and part no before u cut anything, so that u can return it if it is the wrong part. check with ur vendor or just go to aem's website and looka t the part # and cmpare to the # on AEM package box.

in my above post correct that i miss read ur last sentence, do not cut any part of the filter cut the pipe not the filter.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:43 PM
Intermediate

it is the right part number, but it does state "excluding fog lights". What about the loud humming noise?
Old 02-12-2005, 08:48 PM
Intermediate

I have already cut an 2 inches off the end (where the filter goes). Should I cut almost to the bend? how close is the filter to the last bend on the pipe?
If the pipe dips down closer to the first bend then there wouldn't be a problem, I thought about cutting after the first bend (since I have to cut anyway for the by pass valve) I can shorten the pipe from the top.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:35 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I had to cut a few inches off on mine because the filter hit the foglight harness.

Do NOT modify the filter to slide the pipe in further. You will kill the airflow. Instead, cut the pipe. Figure out how far the pipe slides into the filter, and leave that much from the bend, and cut the rest. That's what I did. Do not cut anywhere else.

Don't even bother calling AEM because they will tell you to fuck off. That's basically what Rob (customer represenative) told me, and I was appalled when he straight up said "I don't have time to sit here and listen to people complain about fitment problems."
Old 02-12-2005, 11:15 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
[QUOTE=Pure Adrenaline]I had to cut a few inches off on mine because the filter hit the foglight harness.

Do NOT modify the filter to slide the pipe in further. You will kill the airflow. Instead, cut the pipe. Figure out how far the pipe slides into the filter, and leave that much from the bend, and cut the rest. That's what I did. Do not cut anywhere else.

Don't even bother calling AEM because they will tell you to fuck off. That's basically what Rob (customer represenative) told me, and I was appalled when he straight up said "I don't have time to sit here and listen to people complain about fitment problems."[/QUOTE]

Ya that fucker...I called to ask a simple fitment question about the V2 on my '99 TL, and I could tell he wasnt even listening to me. I really would kick his ass - its too bad that there isnt many other brands to chose from for our intakes, or I would never use AEM.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:14 PM
03 TL-S A-Spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hacked mine just in front of the bend, but with enough remaining to allow the Filter to stay on good. I am most likely going to get an Injen this summer. AEM is a piece of crap that was stated as fitting when I bought it, but then they changed it later. I'm going with the Injen for my Vibe GT (Celica motor) also. I'm done dealing with AEM. Plus the injens have better colors (dark blue rocks).