Need advice on applying touch-up paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2001, 09:58 AM

Unhappy Need advice on applying touch-up paint

When I was washing my TL yesterday, I found a spot on the roof where a chip of paint about 3/4 the size of a dime has flaked off--don't know why, no indication of a peck or anything.

So, I have my bottle of Laguna Green touch-up paint from the dealer, and I'd like some advice on how to apply it to get the best results so it doesn't stand out from the rest of the roof. I'd particularly like some advice on how to blend it at the edgest. Don't want to build up the paint too much in that area.

I pretty sure I'll need some clearcoat to go over it, too, so it doesn't stand out as having a different finish from the rest of the top.

Also found what appears to be a sag in the paint on the bumper, like the paint didn't adhere well, but I'm 99% sure the car hasn't been repainted since manufacture. Wodering if I got one that had a bad batch of paint. Anyone else have trouble with their paint?
Old 03-12-2001, 06:03 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you buy the car used? If you did, you may have bought a car that was repainted in a body shop or as a result of damage. If you bought it new, take it to the dealer and raise a stink. Acura paint is under warranty and they should be able to help you...

------------------
2001 Nighthawk Black Pearl
Acura DVD-Based Navigational system
Burlwood Shifter
Alpine 620 Changer
Heavy Right Foot
Old 03-12-2001, 11:13 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a pretty big paint chip. Check out this site it has a lot of car care advice.
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/painchiprep.html

------------------

2001 3.2TL with Nav
Satin Silver Metallic
Factory Rear Wing Spoiler
Old 03-13-2001, 09:35 AM

Well, I've talked to the previous owner, and they say no body work or painting has ever been done. She has no reason to lie, since it's not her I bought the car from anyway. I really don't think anything like that has been done to it. If it was, it was the closest to looking like factory work that I've ever seen.

Guess I need to check with the dealer!