nav owners - you can change the tire sizes in the computer

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2002, 03:16 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nav owners - you can change the tire sizes in the computer

if you get new wheels you don't have to worry about staying within the factory spec on overall diameter. In the nav diagnostic menu you can actually select the tire size so that your speedo will be calibrated with your selection. cool huh
Old 03-25-2002, 03:27 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you do this with the 99 nav?
Old 03-25-2002, 03:35 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn navi..
Old 03-25-2002, 03:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Ok...this really interests me...my wheels are coming in a few days. Is there any way you could post how?? Because I never remembered seeing anything like that in there.
Old 03-25-2002, 06:42 PM
The Doctor

start up procedure:

1. turn the ignition switch ON (II), then press and hold the keys in this order: 1) MENU key, 2) MAP/GUIDE key, 3) CANCEL key, and keep them pressed simultaneously

2. After the display changes to the diagnosis menu screen, touch the item you want to check.

3. Touch tire-calibrate

'00 model:
The AUTO TUNING is factory set to ON
The TIRE-CAL TUNING is used when you want to change your setup

99' model:
pretty much the same

above is from the Helm's manual
Old 03-25-2002, 06:49 PM
On the way!

This is very interesting. I went to the tire calibration screen and found that my -1.8% standard had gone up to -2.3%. There is also a button to enable/disable the automatic adjustment (don't know why you'd want to disable it).

However, I tend to believe that these systems (speedo and navi) are not able to talk to each other. I think that screen is probably just to help the navi track and show your vehicle where it's supposed to be on the map.

I did a search and found that Daverman made an in-depth post on this diagnostic screen and it's adjustments... Any more news since mid last year, Daverman?

Here's a link to his old post:

The Doctor

hmm.. you might be right..

Originally posted by fla-tls
This is very interesting. I went to the tire calibration screen and found that my -1.8% standard had gone up to -2.3%. There is also a button to enable/disable the automatic adjustment (don't know why you'd want to disable it).

However, I tend to believe that these systems (speedo and navi) are not able to talk to each other. I think that screen is probably just to help the navi track and show your vehicle where it's supposed to be on the map.

I did a search and found that Daverman made an in-depth post on this diagnostic screen and it's adjustments... Any more news since mid last year, Daverman?

Here's a link to his old post:

Burning Brakes

OK...this is extremely interesting and very new to me. This is one thing Daverman said:

The only time that you need to change your tire calibration is when you change the size of your wheel. But even then the Navi will eventually catch up with you, so just leave it alone
I need to know this for sure...i have a few days left until my wheels are here and mounted. Do I need to change it or will it really calibrate itself after time??

Man I am DUMB on this stuff. In the AM i'm gonna go out there and check some of this stuff out without changing anything. Perhaps Daverman can confirm for us that no changing is necessary with the aftermarket 19's??
Old 03-25-2002, 07:12 PM
On the way!

Originally posted by ken2000ac
Do I need to change it or will it really calibrate itself after time??
I reset my -2.3% back to the default -1.8%. I'll let you know tomorrow (after driving) if it adjusted itself back to -2.3%. That will give a good idea of how fast it adjusts.

Again - I presume it's probably a navi-only adjustment, independent of the speedo.
Old 03-25-2002, 07:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Dude I really appreciate it!! I'll be checking this thread to see what the deal is!

Thanx!!!!!
Old 03-25-2002, 11:44 PM
Drifting

OK, fla-tls, here I am

The tire calibration is very simple: it basically correlates the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) pulses with distance travelled. I believe the VSS signal is the same one used by the ECU to compute vehicle speeds.

ken2000ac: my suggestion: leave it alone, and leave the automatic adjustment on. As you've seen already, the Navi will eventually calibrate the adjustment automatically (it compares the VSS pulses against the GPS distance travelled and compensates slowly). It will probably be fully compensated within 3-5 days of driving.

And yes, it is navi-only. The speedo is a separate deal altogether.

I haven't been fooling around with the Navi lately--it's been working fine for me. I've never found a way to make the colors stick either.

But I have discovered that the Navi DVD is readable on a DVD-ROM drive. Its files can be easily viewed and read on a Windows machine, and the file contents don't seem to be encrypted at all. The files are in some database format. I've discovered that the data uses a very old (but good) compression scheme: it tokenizes commonly-used strings and stores them in a dictionary.

With some snooping around we may be able to find where the sound waves and color settings are stored. Does anyone have a DVD writer?
Old 03-26-2002, 06:10 PM
On the way!

Originally posted by ken2000ac
Dude I really appreciate it!! I'll be checking this thread to see what the deal is!

Thanx!!!!!
As of tonight (drove about 30 minutes today total - mostly highway), it has already adjusted itself back to -2.3%

Apparently, it's pretty quick to adjust.
Old 03-26-2002, 06:19 PM
Burning Brakes

that is so damn awesome
Old 03-26-2002, 06:38 PM
On the way!

Originally posted by daverman
But I have discovered that the Navi DVD is readable on a DVD-ROM drive. Its files can be easily viewed and read on a Windows machine, and the file contents don't seem to be encrypted at all. The files are in some database format. I've discovered that the data uses a very old (but good) compression scheme: it tokenizes commonly-used strings and stores them in a dictionary.

With some snooping around we may be able to find where the sound waves and color settings are stored. Does anyone have a DVD writer?
You may have missed this thread, but we actually tried hacking the disclaimer message with a hex editor. Here's a link:

Startup mod link

Too bad... Any more info would be great! I'd love to edit the voice with my own custom messages...