nasty squeal from EBC pads (front)...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 01:25 PM
woooo!!

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Unhappy nasty squeal from EBC pads (front)...

hey guys,

I did some searching already, found this from this thread (https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=squeak):
Originally Posted by 2002AcuraTL
I have the EBCs and Powerslot rotors. I used the EBC antisqueal pads (call up EBC and they mail them to you). Even with the antisqueal I had a squeak but only at light pedal pressure and at very slow speeds. It took about 10k miles for the noise to finally go away. It is definitely the pad's composition that is the cause, and in time it should go away. Exactly how long I guess depends on how much you drive. I put 25k+ a year on my car, so it only took 4 months to go away. Some people would have to drive a year for that amount of mileage to rack up and the noise to go away which would really be a bummer....
I've had these front pads on for about 3 weeks now, yes I did the initial break-in (40-0mph 10 times in 5 mins, did it twice, and no hard braking for ~400 miles).
My pads squeal when pedal pressure is light at all speeds though... and another strange thing is that they dont squeal until they have warmed up (after ~10 mins of driving), which doesn't make too much sense to me.

I don't exactly want to hear this for a year before it goes away... i only put ~10k miles on the car a year. If anyone has any ideas, please help me out!

BTW this is the anti-squeal I used on the pads, and they have worked well for my EBC's in the rear. Notice I added the stuff only to where the calipers touch the shims.

Old 10-12-2005, 03:10 PM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
That is the outter sides. On the inner side pad, the anti-squeal shoud be applied even underneath the sim. In fact, you should appy anti squeal evenly on the outter side too so that there should be no hole for squeal whistle.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Well for starters you shouldnt have doen the initial 40-0 stuff till After they were driven a few hundred miles. Then is when EBC recomends bedding them in. The say its natural for them to heavy dust and make noise durring the initial driving (which is what ive always seen) but after you bed them in it goes away. Anti squeel is always recomended nowdays with pads.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:45 PM
woooo!!

Originally Posted by acutee
That is the outter sides. On the inner side pad, the anti-squeal shoud be applied even underneath the sim. In fact, you should appy anti squeal evenly on the outter side too so that there should be no hole for squeal whistle.
the shim comes preinstalled on the back side of the pads and cant be removed... i think they are glued on.

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Well for starters you shouldnt have doen the initial 40-0 stuff till After they were driven a few hundred miles. Then is when EBC recomends bedding them in. The say its natural for them to heavy dust and make noise durring the initial driving (which is what ive always seen) but after you bed them in it goes away. Anti squeel is always recomended nowdays with pads.
really... damnit I remember reading from somewhere that i should do that right away. I am seeing heavy dust too, well ill give them another 200-300 miles and see again i suppose.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:13 PM
UB6IB9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had mine now for about 7 months and they still squeal ,on my rotors(i have cross drilled rotors) i feel litle riples on them when i pass my finger on them,should i check my pads for wear?
Old 10-12-2005, 06:16 PM
On the way!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recall the following from when I installed mine (before I eventually removed them for excessive rotor warpage)....

EBC greenstuff pads come those stick on shims separate from the pads. You have to stick them on before installation.

The instructions will tell you not to use any other antisqueal compounds at all. You just use the shims that you stick onto the pads.

The fact that you used antisqueal compound may be your problem in this case.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:06 PM
I Just Con't Drive 55 Mon

Originally Posted by fla-tls
I recall the following from when I installed mine (before I eventually removed them for excessive rotor warpage)....

EBC greenstuff pads come those stick on shims separate from the pads. You have to stick them on before installation.

The instructions will tell you not to use any other antisqueal compounds at all. You just use the shims that you stick onto the pads.

I used a combination of one stick on shim that came with the pads and that large OEM shim that was on my old pads....not a bit of noise from day one....I have 4K on them now...this was done on a cross drilled rotor as well....BTW, these things give off some dust...more than was really described here on the forum, a lot more than the OEM pads with not really much more performance in braking IMHO.....as always, just my .......g
Old 10-12-2005, 08:04 PM
woooo!!

Originally Posted by fla-tls

Actually, I should have mentioned that i had just the pads on before i applied the anti-squeal a week and a half later... and when I took it out for a test drive it was nearly gone, but after a day it came back and its as bad as it was before.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Fluid Grease
.BTW, these things give off some dust...more than was really described here on the forum, a lot more than the OEM pads with not really much more performance in braking IMHO.....as always, just my .......g
As compared to any other performance pad they are very minimum dust. the dust that they (your ebc green stuff) put off in 1 month, my axxis would produce in 2-3 days. As for performance, they are a hell of alot better than oem. they bite better, but where the performance comes in is repeated heavy braking. they dont fade much with heat like the oem.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:36 AM
Show me da MONEY

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
As compared to any other performance pad they are very minimum dust. the dust that they (your ebc green stuff) put off in 1 month, my axxis would produce in 2-3 days. As for performance, they are a hell of alot better than oem. they bite better, but where the performance comes in is repeated heavy braking. they dont fade much with heat like the oem.

my axxis pads give off major dust like fsttyms1 said (I have the same setup IROTORS with axxis pads), every 2-3 days my rims are brown which really sucks for my chrome lip
Old 10-15-2005, 10:23 PM
woooo!!

anyone else that may know of a solution other than driving for another 9k miles...?
Old 10-15-2005, 10:30 PM
Racer

id love to hear of a solution too ive had mine for like a few months n they still squeel like a mofo
Old 10-16-2005, 01:02 AM
Racer

i placed ballbearing grease around the edges of the pads (outer shoulders) where they slide into the calipers. i now have no squeal (knock on wood). maybe that would help.