My Type S is in the shop...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 05:52 PM
On the way!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My Type S is in the shop...

I had a trip to Tampa yesterday, and the Type S developed some sort of serious oil leak on the way there.

To make a long story short, after calling roadside assistance I finally got flat-bedded to the nearest dealership (Furman Acura). These guys treated me very well, and got me a TL loaner even before they looked at my car (had to get back home).

Well, I still haven't heard what's wrong - officially - but from what I could see with a flashlight it seemed to be leaking from the joint between the engine and the transmission. It was bad enough that the car smelled of burnt oil and there was a puddle underneath the car - even when it was parked for only a few minutes.

I had my tranny replaced by another dealer at 9100+ miles, so it might be related to their workmanship. I don't know yet.

In the meantime, I'm driving an '03 TL (anthracite ext./ebony int.). It's ok - but I miss the power of my car - and I miss my navi (especially when navigating unfamiliar Tampa streets). However, the ride and seat comfort of the TL-P is nice.

Damn - those Michellins are noisy! I got the reminder of that on the way back...

Man! I'm spoiled!

I'll post more when I know it....
Old 08-12-2003, 07:33 PM
Moo
Pro

Sorry to hear about your mishap. Hope every thing works out with your car.
Old 08-12-2003, 07:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Good luck. The only thing worse than a break-down is a break-down away from home.
Old 08-13-2003, 01:23 PM
On the way!

Well - I called over there and it looks like it's probably the rear main seal that goes around the crankshaft. This will be the second time my tranny will have to be removed - to get to the seal.

What kind of a piece of CRAP engine blows a main bearing seal at 26k miles???

I'm REALLY thinking about a G35 coupe....
Old 08-13-2003, 01:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Yikes, sounds like the guys who did the first tranny missed something. On the plus side, I'm happy to hear that you were treated well at this dealer and that they got you a loaner immediatly. Good luck. I hope you don't give up your Type S for the G.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:05 PM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea, a rear main seal is one of those $8 parts that cost $300 to put in.

My GF's Breeze in the shop today to diagnose an oil leak that I bet came from the (same) guys that put in a new head gasket and timing belt. I doubt they'll give her any kind of break on the work from a year ago since they're the ones that goofed it up.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:11 PM
Banned

I don't think you can blame the car itself for what happen. I'm betting it those so call "Factory trained" tech that screw it up. I would suggest not going to the same place you had your trans replaced at. I really don't trust any of these techs (I'm sure there are good ones out there) Everytime I asked them to fix something at my local dealer they always break a clip or something and never replace it till I bish at them.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:42 PM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
That really sucks...
I bet it is really all your fault: Gettin' on it waaayyy toooo much just to hear some stupid intake!
Old 08-13-2003, 04:57 PM
On the way!

Originally posted by r10apple
That really sucks...
I bet it is really all your fault: Gettin' on it waaayyy toooo much just to hear some stupid intake!
Heh heh...

Actually, driving the TL (non S) has given me an appreciation for quiet acceleration. I'm definitely going to replace the Injen with an Icebox when I get the car back.
Old 08-13-2003, 05:04 PM
On the way!

Originally posted by hzm82
I don't think you can blame the car itself for what happen. I'm betting it those so call "Factory trained" tech that screw it up. I would suggest not going to the same place you had your trans replaced at. I really don't trust any of these techs (I'm sure there are good ones out there) Everytime I asked them to fix something at my local dealer they always break a clip or something and never replace it till I bish at them.
Yeah - the thing that bothers me is how much of the engine compartment has had to be reassembled by dealer techs.

They never get it as good as a factory installation. Hopefully these guys are better than the other dealership.

The dealership certainly was impressive - I hope that way of thinking continues on back through the shop.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey play nice...I am a "Factory trained tech" and I can tell you from LOTS of experience you dont even go anywhere near the rear main seal when doing a trans. Other than removing the eight bolts that hold the torque converter to the flex plate there is no way somebody could have done anything to the seal. It is protected by the flex plate which is not removed when doing a trans. I have seen however inpropely installed seals that take a while to wear to the point that they leak. That would be done on the assembly line and I would bet that is what they will find. Let me know.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

just wanted to say that i've been to ferman acura...theyre pretty good and polite.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:23 PM
On the way!

Originally posted by RACINGHART03
Hey play nice...I am a "Factory trained tech" and I can tell you from LOTS of experience you dont even go anywhere near the rear main seal when doing a trans. Other than removing the eight bolts that hold the torque converter to the flex plate there is no way somebody could have done anything to the seal. It is protected by the flex plate which is not removed when doing a trans. I have seen however inpropely installed seals that take a while to wear to the point that they leak. That would be done on the assembly line and I would bet that is what they will find. Let me know.
I picked it up today, and the service guy said they replaced the seal and the plate that covers it.

He did say the the seal was DEFINITELY the source of the leak, but didn't say much more. There was no word on whether it was installed properly, etc.

Well - It's not leaking oil now, but I'll have to deal with the residual oil burning smell until either the rain washes it off or it burns off. I went through one of those car washes that spray the undercarriage, but that didn't seem to help too much.

All I can say is this... I LOVE having my type S back! Gotta love that power!
Old 08-14-2003, 07:13 PM
Intermediate

Sounds like it all worked out.......so good deal! RACINGHRT, its good to have guys like you on this forum......I gotta believe you know your s**t!
Old 08-14-2003, 09:15 PM

Rear main oil seal ouch, "Yea, a rear main seal is one of those $8 parts that cost $300 to put in,"by Tom Blasing. So true!

I had to go as far as pulling out my crank shaft to change the rear main oil seal on my Jeep, wheh what a job!

Old 08-14-2003, 10:20 PM
Banned

Originally posted by fla-tls
Heh heh...

Actually, driving the TL (non S) has given me an appreciation for quiet acceleration. I'm definitely going to replace the Injen with an Icebox when I get the car back.
let me know when ur gonna get rid of the injen... i want it.
Old 08-15-2003, 07:22 AM
On the way!

Originally posted by str8acura
let me know when ur gonna get rid of the injen... i want it.
Do you have a Type S? It won't fit a TL-P.

It's polished aluminum with red hoses. PM me with an offer.