My transmission is dead.....at 46k miles :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 12:44 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My transmission is dead.....at 46k miles :(

It died...all of a sudden......now I have to drive a Saturn around for 2 weeks....

Be careful everyone...these things go quick...mine had no warning.
Old 02-27-2003, 12:47 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
damn, another bites the dust! welcome to the club.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:04 PM
Instructor

Wow at least it lasted that long! Sorry to hear it...mine died at 23k...and got an RSX as a loaner.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dang ... I was kind of surprise it lasted that long. Did you change the tranny fluid around 30k ? Just curious ...

Cheers !!!
Old 02-27-2003, 01:21 PM
Instructor

Yup, I did the tranny service at 30k......and everythign seemed fine up until last night...... I mean, I had thought I felt somethign weird before.......but it was jsut me being overly sensitive since there were so many transmission problems.....
Old 02-27-2003, 01:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by blingbling_girl
Yup, I did the tranny service at 30k......and everythign seemed fine up until last night...... I mean, I had thought I felt somethign weird before.......but it was jsut me being overly sensitive since there were so many transmission problems.....
Damm.....Right after you got the system done too !!
Old 02-27-2003, 01:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

hey julia, are you kidding me that it gave you absolutly no signs, i mean thats scary i was gonna install my headers in soon but i know my dealer is hella uptight so i dont wanna take the risk, but say if the car had signs i would be able to take off the headers before i take it in....yikes so shocking... what mods did you have and where did you take your car into service at?, did you hassle you at all? please let me know thanks

oh yeah hope you have good luck on a speedy recovery...

JON
Old 02-27-2003, 03:07 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sowwy!
Old 02-27-2003, 04:59 PM
Pro

That sux Julia. Is yours a 2002 or 2003?
Old 02-27-2003, 11:50 PM
O.G.

Sorry to hear about that. Hope your car gets a speedy recovery.
Old 02-28-2003, 12:26 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Why the heck do people still act surprised that these tranny's are going out??? I'm surprised she actually got 46,000 miles before it happened!! That would convince me that i was in the clear and .. bam... tranny's shot.

I would LOVE to see that stat on how many of all the 2002 TL-S on the road have had their tranny fail by the time they hit 100,000 miles on the ODO... wouldn't be surprised if it was 10%. Absolute garbage.
Old 02-28-2003, 07:37 AM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 505 Likes on 231 Posts
Remember when it was a big deal when trannys failed? Now, it's more like....Another "My Tranny Failed Post", why should I read that one.

They are out there like time bombs, waiting to happen. It's a damn shame.

:-jon
Old 02-28-2003, 10:05 AM
Instructor

"They must have identified the problem and fixed it by now, right?"

Mine showed signs that I couldn't ignore, even though the dealer couldn't "feel" them..."cluch chatter" type shuttering and some slippage before engaging between 2nd and 3rd. This began at exactly 40,000 miles. My dealer took my word that the ATF was burnt and very dirty when I had it changed it, two days before, and, based on that they replaced the transmission. It took two days, and I could have picked it up yesterday, except they were waiting for a new computer, which should come in today.

I'm seriously thinking about looking around to see what kind of trade-in value I can get. I'm not at all convinced that this won't happen to me again, at 110,000 miles.

Although I love the car, and will keep it if I can't find a dealer that will give me some value for a car that I might want to trade for, I'm hesitant to sell it directly to some unsuspecting buyer with the possibility of another failure looming.
Old 02-28-2003, 10:19 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by PeterUbers
Why the heck do people still act surprised that these tranny's are going out??? I'm surprised she actually got 46,000 miles before it happened!! That would convince me that i was in the clear and .. bam... tranny's shot.

Geez......chill out......
Old 02-28-2003, 12:51 PM
Ex TL-S owner

Originally posted by oblio98
Remember when it was a big deal when trannys failed? Now, it's more like....Another "My Tranny Failed Post", why should I read that one.

They are out there like time bombs, waiting to happen. It's a damn shame.

:-jon
Jon,

I noticed your new sig. Nice car. Lets see some pics.
------------------------------------------------------------------

blingbling_girl,

Hope everything works out.
Old 02-28-2003, 06:33 PM
Instructor

Yikes, sorry to hear, mine died yesterday too! so sad

i posted in the regular TL forum about it...I hit 66K before going out....happened pretty quick!
Old 02-28-2003, 07:14 PM
Racer

Originally posted by asiankidd
hey julia, are you kidding me that it gave you absolutly no signs, i mean thats scary i was gonna install my headers in soon but i know my dealer is hella uptight so i dont wanna take the risk, but say if the car had signs i would be able to take off the headers before i take it in....yikes so shocking... what mods did you have and where did you take your car into service at?, did you hassle you at all? please let me know thanks

JON
I bought my car at Tustin acura, they keep giving me loads of sh*t for service. Plus a nasty attitude, just because I already gave my customer survey all A+.

So I take my car to weir canyon now. They are super nice. I learned something new though, if you go to a dealership for service, and its your first time, acura will automatically send you a customer service survey. So I think if your tranny fails, its in your best interest to jump around dealerships since you can service your car at any dealership you like.
Old 03-01-2003, 12:00 AM
Instructor

Mine happend tonight! I had about 3 min of warning!! Doing 70 on the FLA Turnpike and it shifted into what seemed 2nd and this grinding noise was heard.

Kegrun
Old 03-01-2003, 12:30 AM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: My transmission is dead.....at 46k miles :(

It died...all of a sudden......now I have to drive a Saturn around for 2 weeks....
Eventhough it's inconvenient, the upside is that you should get one of the new(refurbed) and improved units. Hopefully that will end your tranny problems.

On another note, if we don't hear much from you over the next few weeks, should we assume that you're over at the Saturn sites?
Old 03-01-2003, 01:54 PM
Instructor

don't forget to report this to the NHTSA!!

https://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/oscri...Q/VOQ/voq1.cfm
Old 03-02-2003, 01:26 AM
Safety Car

Geez......chill out......
What, do you take that as literal "anger"? It's just unfortunate that this forum is turning into a self-help group for owners of Dead-TL-S trannies... frankly, i'd rather watch Oprah.

Yeah yeah, I've posted a bunch about my two dead trannies... but honestly .. great, so you post that your tranny died.. you get "e-sympathy" .. or whatever you expect as a rxn from this forum, and then what?

let's get back to the technical chat that makes this forum cool, ala Acura-Cl.com. Or, have the mods segregate all tranny chat to another separate forum ala -cl.com

peace
Old 03-02-2003, 05:55 PM
Instructor

What, do you take that as literal "anger"? It's just unfortunate that this forum is turning into a self-help group for owners of Dead-TL-S trannies... frankly, i'd rather watch Oprah.

Yeah yeah, I've posted a bunch about my two dead trannies... but honestly .. great, so you post that your tranny died.. you get "e-sympathy" .. or whatever you expect as a rxn from this forum, and then what?

let's get back to the technical chat that makes this forum cool, ala Acura-Cl.com. Or, have the mods segregate all tranny chat to another separate forum ala -cl.com

peace
Not to get anymore off topic here......but dude, if you would rather watch Oprah than read about dead transmissions and what the syptoms were, then do that. Don't open any of the Transmission entitled posts.......save your time and our time from having to read your belittleing posts.

The reason I posted about my transmission was to tell people that I didn't have any warning...no lights, nothing. THis is somehwat different than the other warning signs I have heard people mention.

If you have problems with the way this forum is configured...or how people post, PM the admins.

Thank you.
Old 03-02-2003, 06:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

i think people should be allowed to post about their transmissions failing... it gives us an idea of whether the problem still exists or not and whether the fixes are even doing anything

i dont see why youre getting all mad cuz she posted a tranny problem?
Old 03-03-2003, 04:52 PM
Racer

I found blingbling_girl's post interesting and think that people should post about their transmission experiences. But having said that....post and then move on, Acura will fix your transmission.

I rarely visit this forum now as I got tired of the same owners posting literally hundreds of times here and on other forums about their transmission problems. No car is perfect, other cars have lots of problems, check the forums. Your transmissiion will be replaced. Get over it.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:58 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by feliz

I rarely visit this forum now as I got tired of the same owners posting literally hundreds of times here and on other forums about their transmission problems. No car is perfect, other cars have lots of problems, check the forums. Your transmissiion will be replaced. Get over it.
with that said....I'm sorry I posted anything about it.......
Old 03-03-2003, 05:23 PM
Racer

blingbling_girl:

I'm sorry, I wasn't refering to you or anyone else, just venting. Fortunately I haven't had the problem yet but when I do I will post my experience about it like you did. I was refering to people that have been posting about their transmission problem for two years that I know of with no sign of letting up. Like you said though, when I see the transmission heading I don't have to read it.

My wife drives a G35 so I also follow some Infiniti forums and some of the same people that post about their transmission problems here do so on other forums as well. Some of these posters have already sold their TL-Ss and drive G35s yet they still bad mouth Acura even though their transmission had been fixed. I think people like that should get over it. Sorry for the rave. Regards.
Old 03-03-2003, 09:08 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by feliz
I found blingbling_girl's post interesting and think that people should post about their transmission experiences. But having said that....post and then move on, Acura will fix your transmission.

Felix, you took the words right outta my mouth. Bling bling .. good luck, thanks for the info, be safe driving your Type S.
Old 03-03-2003, 09:38 PM
Banned

Sorry to hear that, hopefully there wont be a repeat performance once they fix it.
Mine is around 36k and nothing so far :fingerscrossed:

And to all you other foolios.....didnt your mama ever teach you guys that "if you dont have anything nice to say then dont say anything at all." If you were in her position you guys would be crying like little schoolgirls also.
Old 03-03-2003, 09:41 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Don't sweat it Julia. Reading this thread just reminds me of the saying "You can't please all of the people all of the time."

People should feel free to put up whatever info they want or feel is pertinent. Chances are, if you feel it's important or didn't know something, there's a high probability that there's someone else out there that feels the same way. There is a wide range of knowledge on this board. If you can help someone, Great!!!

Belittling people does nothing but show your insecurity & ignorance. People should just read the posts that interest them and ignore the rest. I understand that everyone has an opinion but just use it constructivly.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-04-2003, 12:11 AM
Safety Car

First of all...

had this person's screenname been "bling bling DUDE" or "bling bling GUY" .. you wouldn't have gotten this thread to 28 replies...

2nd... if my "belittling" has seriously hurt this person's feelings, she needs to get out more and have a professional evaluate her self-esteem. This is an online-forum .. and you all said it yourself, we're all FREE TO POLITELY AND RESPECTFULLY express ALL OUR OPINIONS...

my opinion is that this thread, and the tranny topic has gotten WAY over played.... i would love for you all to RE-READ my FIRST post in this thread... WHERE do I belittle this person ??.. I simply state that I find it sooo suprising that people are still shocked that these transmissions are STILL failing. Since I know none of you will bother doing this .. here it is again:

"Why the heck do people still act surprised that these tranny's are going out??? I'm surprised she actually got 46,000 miles before it happened!! That would convince me that i was in the clear and .. bam... tranny's shot. I would LOVE to see that stat on how many of all the 2002 TL-S on the road have had their tranny fail by the time they hit 100,000 miles on the ODO... wouldn't be surprised if it was 10%. Absolute garbage."

This post does NOT attack blingblingchick.

Then I get this mature reply from blingchick:

"Geez......chill out......"

So I choose to respond to THIS particular reply in a more critical manner ..

W/ the random nature of the tranny failures, no one is really doing ANY service by posting about their most recent tranny problems other than informing us that the problem is still prevalent among the Type S's out there. I'm sure there are over 100 different ways symptoms of tranny failure will present itself... one of which being complete failure w/o any hint of problematic behavior prior to failure. This thread is turning more into a life-lesson on freedom of expression ... peace .. i'm done w/ this thread.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:03 AM
Instructor

.. i'm done w/ this thread.
Thank God!

For all others......when you got your transmisson replaced, did they put in all new parts? Or refurbed parts?

THanks
Old 03-04-2003, 11:46 AM
Acura TL-S

u guys are all great

relax, let people post what they want to post... but dont take any of it to heart... sitting there upset, looking at little windows on ur monitor is not healthy
Old 03-04-2003, 11:55 AM
Instructor

I'm not upset...I just thought his posts were silly and unconstructive......

I'm a happy one here!
Old 03-04-2003, 12:11 PM
Instructor

OMG, tranny tranny, blah blah! Wicked!

Dirk Diggler.
Old 03-04-2003, 12:39 PM
Having Fun?

felix:
....post and then move on, Acura will fix your transmission.

I couldn't disagree enough. This is exactly what Acura/Honda wants the general public to do, forget about it and move on. I say raise the stink, keep raising it until the pile of stories can't be shot down by Acura/Honda. There are only a few ways to get a big corporation to listen - 1) by a mass of people (us), or 2) safety organization (NHSTA) telling requiring them to do something.

PeterUbers
had this person's screenname been "bling bling DUDE" or "bling bling GUY" .. you wouldn't have gotten this thread to 28 replies...
TOTALLY inappropriate, I won't even read the rest of your post...

blingbling_girl
For all others......when you got your transmisson replaced, did they put in all new parts? Or refurbed parts?
Everyone is getting remanufactured, not new or refurbished, which is good.
Old 03-04-2003, 02:59 PM
Instructor

I love these boards

Copland: after you were featured in the LA Times article, did Acura ever call to even offer so much as an apology?

My previous dealer before I moved would call to apologize if no one called to do a follow up! Just curious if Honda corporate said anything to you...
Old 03-04-2003, 09:04 PM
Having Fun?

hafids:
Nope, not a peep from them. I had called them twice a day for two weeks during the process of my last tranny dieing and getting the new car. They didn't return ANY of those phone calls. My dealer handled it all.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:49 PM
5th Gear

Unhappy

59800 miles on my 99TL NAVI and I brought it for it's 60K service last night. I let the dealer know that every time I drive through a small puddle, the car shakes violently for a minute or two and sounds like it's choking on its exhaust. I thought that maybe the catalytic converter had a hole in it and water was getting in, causing the problem. Got back to the dealer this afternoon and they told me that they couldn't give the car back to me for a few days. When I asked why, they told me that they just ordered a new transmission and that they should have it in by the end of the week. Their service has been great and I have no beef with that. However, this problem has occurred since I bought the car at the end of July with 44K miles on it and it was Certified PreOwned. I never brought it in for repair b/c it just seemed like it was a simple problem and I haven't had the time. It's been more noticable now b/c of all the puddles from the melting snow up here in Boston. How did the car get Certified if there was a tranny problem then? Do they not thoroughly inspect it? Just curious.
Old 03-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Instructor

whoa leave the girl alone. Forums are a good way to vent about your problems. No need to get on her case cuz her car that she loves died on her. If you dont like what she says, then dont click on topics that have to do with trannys. Simple as that.
Old 03-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Instructor

Copland: I can't believe they didn't call you....it's one thing to be all hush, hush, but it almost like they're acting in denial (if it wasn't for the warranty extension..I would certainly feel that way). Just common good business practice to reassure customers. All it would have taken was a 2 minute phone call from someone to say they're sorry and are doing what they can. Sounds manufactured I know, but the fact that they would do something like that would mean a lot to me at least.

Quick Reply: My transmission is dead.....at 46k miles :(