My TL's Future

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2001, 02:12 AM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post My TL's Future

As you might know, I'm going to stop modding my baby soon. Mods payed for but that aren't in my sig yet are: rotors, metal master pads, headers, and the custom V-AFC install (which is being worked on right now! should be done by Saturday... if it comes out how I have it in my mind, it'll be great!).

Was planning on stopping at the end of April. If I move that up to the end of May, I can spend $2k on mods!

What should I do for the last $2k of mods? Here's my idea:
[*]6.4" visor monitors[*]rearview camera (maybe)[*]PS2 mounted in THE coolest location (not telling where!)

That should pretty much eat most of the $2k. I emailed Streetz my ideas and am waiting on his reply.

You guys have any better ideas?

If I ever get pulled over for watching the visor monitor while driving I could switch it over to the rearview camera and tell the cop I wasn't watching TV. Think that would work? Shoof? Mike?

I'm halfway thinking about spending it on a bigscreen TV or somethign else for when I move out of my parents house (I'm 20). Not having to pay rent is the only way to afford my car and my modding addiction. While its nice having a magical ever-full fridge, I gotta get out of here! And that means stopping with the mods.

------------------
2001 Silver TL, non-navi, Inspire tails & wood steering wheel, 2 burlwood dash kits & shift knob, TL-S passenger vent trim, Alumapro BP-10 & ZX400TI Phoenix Gold, Python 1500 ESP (remote start, all windows up & down, sunroof closes, prox, etc), factory spoiler & body kit, AEM SRI, blue alarm LEDs, Mugen grill, Comptech sways, springs & exhaust, SuperCrystal lugs, black chrome emblems, Apex'i V-AFC, Solaris 9005 high beams, 19"x8.0" +47 Alstadt IVs.

On order: 225/35ZR19 Nitto 555s.

Nate's ride
------------------
"Every man dies, not every man lives."
Old 04-05-2001, 07:22 AM
Drifting

If I were you, I'd get a nice TV when I move out.

The ideas that you have are cool, but Playstation 2 on a 6.4" screen? Why not just get a color GameBoy and save like $1900?

For the money, I'd rather have an HDTV in my living room to play with rather than tiny screens in my car.

Just my $.02

------------------
Jason
<A HREF="http://www.adamoski.com/acura.html" TARGET=_blank>
</A>
2000 Acura 3.2 TL w/ Navigation
Satin Silver / Ebony Interior
Comptech Headers & Exhaust
Comptech Springs & Sways
Comptech Air Filter
Factory Spoiler & CD Changer
Burlwood Shift Knob, 2001 Cup Holders
30%? Tint, Tinted Rear Plate Cover
Removed Acura & 3.2TL Badging From Trunk
Removed Front Plate Holder
Old 04-05-2001, 08:08 AM
Pro

Hey man, I would save that 2,000 for when you move out and buy some nice furniture. Like a nice Leather couch and chair. Or even save the money and put it towards rent for a couple of months. Therefore you will have a couple of months paid off and you wont have to worry about rent. Just my opinion....
Old 04-05-2001, 08:30 AM
Pro

Exclamation

Nate, I have to agree with them, you've modded your car nicely, and with the finishing touches you're doing on it now. I think its a very well rounded package. The Monitor I would recommend only to show cars. They're very expensive for what you're getting. I would do minor things to your car: the indiglo gauges or the a/f ratio and/or tranny temp A pillar gauges.

There are a ton of other great things to spend your money on. I have to remind myself this every time I get too gung ho into modding my car. Largely Complete home stereo systems go for around a grand. Then there are mp3 players, minidisc players, big screen tv's, and just tons of gadgets, especially for a 20 year old. The car is great man but I think you've plateau'd on the bang for the buck factor. Anything more significant modding to it will take significant money. And while you're moving out of the house, shifting lifestyles, I'd either spread my eggs around (use it for a phat lutron lighting system in your new pad, or some badass kitchen warez) or save it for a backup plan if things start to go sour, you never know, and you don't want someone else to have to bail you out either.

Give it some thought, your word's the last word of course, but you gotta consider your options.
Old 04-05-2001, 10:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Ho's

j/k

save up the money for rent, food, misc stuff. you'll be amazed how fast 2 big ones go living on your own.

------------------
Old 04-05-2001, 10:46 AM
Pro

Thumbs down

Don't spend it on your car, and dont' watch tv. while you drive. ppl have a hard enuff time talkin on the f'n cell phone to be watching TV now. if it is for other passengers, then you wouldn't have to worry about the cops anyway.

------------------
'99 3.2 TL

Black/Black
Burlwood Shift Knob
Bodykit
Spoiler
Tint
Old 04-05-2001, 12:01 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with everybody here. It is nice modding your car while you're still living at home but once you decide to move out, the money should start going to your new place. I think you have more then enough in your car now so use the 2K for your new place.

------------------
1999 Acura 3.2TL w/Navi Black w/Parchment interior, Burlwood trim kit and Shiftknob, Factory spoiler, Sun/Moonroof visor, Inspire tails, 20% tint all around, Blue Sidemarkers, PIAA Plasma Blue Solitaire Series 01 foglights, Cleared corners and blue neon citylights w/superwhites highbeam, and 17" Giovanna Madrid II chrome wheels with 215/45/17x7 Falken tires, two 5.7" TVs in headrests, Pioneer PDV10 DVD player, TV/Tuner/NAV, OEM bodykit, and Apexi Coilovers

coming soon...sound system
Old 04-05-2001, 12:42 PM
Pro

I say you should stay with your folks until someone comes out with a supercharger.
Old 04-05-2001, 12:45 PM

Talking

If you are reading this slowly it's because I have been downgraded to dial-up at work and AOL sucks.

I agree too, Nate. My decision was rims or a 48 inch widescreen TV. Since I am renting, I don't want to have move it so I opted for rims now and the TV when I settle down in a place that can fit it for at least a few years.

If you are moving out now, save up for a nice home theater system. Once you move out of you parents house, you'll want to play music and movies as loud as you want and you'll want new toys. Trust me. I did.

------------------
Nate 4 Mod, Nate 4 Mod, Nate 4 Mod, Nate 4 Mod, Nate 4 Mod, Nate 4 Mod, Nate 4 Mod, Nate 4 Mod, Nate 4 Mod, Nate 4 Mod, Nate 4 Mod, Nate 4 Mod,
Old 04-05-2001, 12:51 PM
Banned

Wink

Originally posted by Nate4Mod:
I agree too, Nate...
YOu two should move in together... LOL

------------------
Out on parole and on best behavior...
Old 04-05-2001, 12:52 PM
Instructor

Hey buddy,
i agree with these people. i have a 65 in widescreen hdtv in my home that i just bought like 6 months ago and i am enjoying it man. Its much better to have a tv in home and enjoy then in car.

rest is up to you.

Thanks
Prashant Patel

------------------
2000, Acura TL, Black, Navi, Factory Wood Kit, Rear Spoiler,
Tinted, Viper Alaram & Auto Starter. Will try to put pics as soon as I can.
Old 04-05-2001, 12:54 PM
Banned

Cool

Hey Nate... you still a 'No Life' even after a 2K posts... you should be an 'Addict' now... :d
Old 04-05-2001, 02:35 PM
Pro

Talking

I have a fair quality home theater system, and must say it rocks. I think you should go this route. h/t definitely makes movies more fun if you like watching films. I know a cheap website to get good h/t stuff if you're interested. none of that best buy circuit cityshit. Laterz man.
Old 04-05-2001, 02:38 PM
Safety Car

I think I'm beyond Addict. Tim said he'd make more states, he just needs to figure out how.

Good points... maybe I will go for a home theater system, I've got a friend that does that sort of thing and can get good prices. Its nice for DVDs, etc but I rarely watch TV. Does anyone know anything about projectors? Maybe I could use the computer with a projector and also play DVDs, and watch TV through a TV card? Not sure about quality though... certainly won't be HDTV quality...

Ok, so the plan for the PS2 was to have Streetz take it apart and mount the drive, power buttons, and controller plugs in the drink holder between the front seats. How fresh would that be? Then I can close the cup holder and put up the visors and what I have would be hidden.

One of the things I can do is to stay at home until my car is mostly paid off. I owe $18k still... if I stayed until November I'd only owe $8k or so and I'd save more than $2k in intrest. If I decide to stay at home for that much longer =/ the extra $2k for monitors won't effect much. Then again I could put the $2k on the loan and move out that much sooner...

Maybe I should flip a coin or something.
Old 04-05-2001, 09:52 PM
Ain't No Other...

Nate I think you need a girl friend...seriously!!!

------------------
2000 Satin Silver TL, 17x7.5 ATP wheels with Pirelli 215/50/17 P7000SS, H&R OE springs, OEM spoiler, K&N filter, Tint all Around. Inspire Foglight Switch, PIAA 1700X fogs, Polarg M-12 corners.
Old 04-05-2001, 10:17 PM
Safety Car

Haha... I can think of plenty of better ways to waste money than on a breezy.
Old 04-05-2001, 11:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Talking

Nate,

send me the 2K and I'll let you become a Moderator!

No seriously spend it on your new apartment like everyone else have already suggested. Oh get a G/F too.

Joey

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2TL w/ Navigation
NightHawk Black Pearl Exterior, Ebony Leather.
  • Sunroof Visor
  • 35% Johnson & Johnson Metallic Tint All Around
  • Acura Burlwood Shiftknob
  • Alpine CHM-S620 6-Disc CD-Changer
    In da works...
  • Video in my Navi Kit.
  • Playstation 2
  • New Nighthawk Black Pearl Paint
  • JL Audio 12w6 Subwoofer
  • Audiobahn A1800E Amplifier
Moderator of Acura-TL.Com Forums
Old 04-05-2001, 11:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Man take the two G'z, flip some 1/8th keyz, gorilla pimp, spend some mofo' chee$e ... Claclock' got yall' *****es on lock ... Shyne ...
Old 04-05-2001, 11:43 PM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

WOW 2g's thats alot of money. I say get a couple of nice looking call girls to come over and have some fun with them. You only live once. LOL
Old 04-06-2001, 04:15 AM
Burning Brakes

why do people have trouble living with their parents? honestly wondering.

------------------
Some Said, "TL Type S," Soon They Will Say, "Wannabe TL-S." Laguna METALLIC, Navi, Side Cuts, Tint All Around, Interior Footwell Lighting, Eibach ProKit, PIAA 1700x Fogs custom cut into side holes, Inspire Tails, 17" Type-S Rims with 215/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE730's, Visor, Wood Shifter, Comptech Sways making me ride on rails...

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...026&Auth=false
Old 04-10-2001, 03:53 PM
Pro

My friend has a projector. its made by panasonic i believe. he bought it about 3 years ago. it was over 1k. it sucks. the detail isn't as good as my mistubishi big screen. I have a 60 inch, which is big enough for most people. About the DVD through TV card, I've seen it done and it is pretty clear. i believe ATI makes some decent video cards if you want to try the dvd through computer route. only problem is i haven't seen one that has component video outs. I have my pioneer dvd hooked up to my mitsu with component video the cables weren't cheap(220 bucks Audioquest) but this is the best quality you can get.hdtv uses this standard. not to be confused with composite video. still i wish i had HDTV!!
Originally posted by Nate:
I think I'm beyond Addict. Tim said he'd make more states, he just needs to figure out how.

Good points... maybe I will go for a home theater system, I've got a friend that does that sort of thing and can get good prices. Its nice for DVDs, etc but I rarely watch TV. Does anyone know anything about projectors? Maybe I could use the computer with a projector and also play DVDs, and watch TV through a TV card? Not sure about quality though... certainly won't be HDTV quality...

Ok, so the plan for the PS2 was to have Streetz take it apart and mount the drive, power buttons, and controller plugs in the drink holder between the front seats. How fresh would that be? Then I can close the cup holder and put up the visors and what I have would be hidden.

One of the things I can do is to stay at home until my car is mostly paid off. I owe $18k still... if I stayed until November I'd only owe $8k or so and I'd save more than $2k in intrest. If I decide to stay at home for that much longer =/ the extra $2k for monitors won't effect much. Then again I could put the $2k on the loan and move out that much sooner...

Maybe I should flip a coin or something.

------------------
'99 3.2 TL

Black/Black
Burlwood Shift Knob
Bodykit
Spoiler
Tint
Old 04-10-2001, 04:24 PM
Banned

Dude, your car is superfly already. I would live with your folks for as long as you feel comfortable, which for some is until they are 30. It will save you A LOT of cash and you would have less worries for a while longer. This is unless your parents want you the hell out. Otherwise, 20 isn't bad to be with the folks.
Old 04-10-2001, 05:34 PM
Safety Car

My plans so far are to move out in October or November. That gives me plenty of time to pay my car down to well under $10k... and as far as the car is concerned... well, check my sig.

------------------
Nate's ride 2001 Silver TL, non-navi, Inspire tails & wood steering wheel, 2 burlwood dash kits & shift knob, TL-S passenger vent trim, Alumapro BP-10 & ZX400TI Phoenix Gold, Python 1500 ESP (remote start, all windows up & down, sunroof closes, prox, etc), factory spoiler & body kit, AEM SRI, blue alarm LEDs, Mugen grill, Comptech sways, springs & exhaust, SuperCrystal lugs, black chrome emblems, Apex'i V-AFC, Solaris 9005 high beams, 19"x8.0" +47 Alstadt IVs.

In progress: Yokohama AVS Sport 235/35YR19, custom V-AFC install, crossdrilled rotors, Metal Master brake pads, Comptech headers, iridium spark plugs, PS2 custom install, 6.4" visor monitors.
------------------
"Every man dies, not every man lives."
Old 04-10-2001, 05:43 PM
The Acura Granddaddy

Originally posted by bobatimez:
why do people have trouble living with their parents? honestly wondering.

Financially it's a great situation, but after a while it gets to be a social drag. I spend all my time at work or school and I sure as heck ain't gonna have my rowdy friends over to the folks home. Besides, if you are making good money and it sounds like Nate is, why not live it up a little!
Old 04-10-2001, 07:37 PM
Instructor

Cool

Save the $2K plus some. After all you can't drive,watch tv, and play Play2 at the same time.

You'll have a much more rewarding experience with the big screen and the Sony P2 in your own pad. Take it from one whose been there, you can "MOD" a pad much more than a car.

Your $2K will be but a drop in the bucket

------------------
01 WDP,f.bra, PIAA Crys. 1400's, burl trim & shifter, Injen short ram.
Old 04-10-2001, 08:13 PM
AC
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SONY XBR400!!! I got mine after I stopped modding...along with DVD, PS2, speakers, etc. Man damn expensive habit too! I should of just kept on modding.

All jokes aside, the 36' Sony XBR400 Wega was a damn good investment for me.
Old 04-11-2001, 12:24 PM

YOU GUYS ARE CRAZY ABOUT T.V.'S, COUCHES FURNITURE, HOOKERS, DO MORE TO THE CAR. EVERYONE SAYS YOU ARE DONE. THAT IS THE WRONG ATTITUDE, NO MATTER HOW MUCH WE MOD OUR CARS WE WILL NEVER BE DONE, EVER! THERE IS ALWAYS SOMETHING THAT CAN BE DONE!
PUT SOME BAGS ON THE CAR. I AM!

------------------
2000 3.2TL[*]AEM CAI[*]COMPTECH SPRINGS[*]COMPTECH HEADER[*]COMPTECH EXHAUST[*]18" GIOVANNA BOLZANOS[*]WOOD DASH KIT[*]TLS TAILIGHTS
WW LIP KIT, MUGEN SPOILER BEING PAINTED!
ICE IS IN THE WORKINGS!
Old 04-11-2001, 09:22 PM

i have a projector...got it as a xmas gift to myself last xmas...its a vpl cs2(svga projector, best one u could get for 2grand) and a laptop with it...its hella tite..but if u want something good as hdtv...it gonna cost atleast 8Gz, sony vpl-vw10ht(xga projector)

or if u got lots of money get the Sony VPD-LE100...price for this baby?...140Gz SXGA resolution projector hella nice using xenon hid light...you could have your very own full size movie theater with HDTV quality!