My TL got Keyed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 12:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My TL got Keyed!!!

Hey guys, some asshole keyed my car the other day. I went to my local auto parts store, but I wasn’t sure which product to use to “hopefully” get the scratch out. I saw a 3M finisher/scratch remover, mother goose, turtle product remover and it goes on. I was hoping someone actually had use a product that really works on TL’s??? It’s a painful slight, and such a sore eyes, so please any help with products or technique.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:30 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow...are u serious!? i juss got mines keyed last night too. good thing for me tho, i was thinking of getting my car repainted once i get the bodykit and grill on there, but i'd definitely rather save some money. anyway hope u can get the scratches out and let me know if there is a cheaper alternative than getting it all repainted.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:33 AM
Banned

ouch....
Old 08-14-2005, 12:36 AM
Missing my Acura's

Report it pay the deductable and get the car painted . That scatch remover shit is not even worth the time or the money when it comes to the car being keyed. Mine was keyed about a year and a half ago put it in the shop and it was like new again not even a ding on the car they did the whole thing over minus the door jams and shit of course, But really its worth the time to claim it and get the car repainted. Take it to a real good shop and goodluck.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:39 AM
NiGhT rIdEr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by REDLINEN
Report it pay the deductable and get the car painted . That scatch remover shit is not even worth the time or the money when it comes to the car being keyed. .
Old 08-14-2005, 12:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think, if you report something like that within 24 hrs to insurance, you don;'t have to pay the deductible..

right?/
Old 08-14-2005, 01:07 AM
ASSEMBLED TO PERFECTION

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn man that sucks, i didnt think people still keyed cars. Hopefully you'll get it fixed. Where did this happen if you dont mind me asking. I always have an eye on my ride, usually its in the garage and if i go somewhere to like a friends house i usually look outside a few times.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:10 AM
The New 3 Series Coupe

There are lots of psychos out there man... Got nothing better to do with their life. wouldn't they raise the insurance rate by reporting the damages to them?
Old 08-14-2005, 02:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It’s going to sound ironic, but I was at Pepboys (local auto parts store) to buy some quick detail so I could clay bar my TL. I came outside and was like WTF!!! It’s like 4 keyed stretches on the front/rear driver side. Sometimes I think people are just jealous/haters of our TL’s, for that reason they vandalize our cars, so they feel better about driving their Ford Focus!hahahaha

The insurance idea is good; however I doubt my damage is going to rack up more then my $500 deductible. I could key the rest of my car to get a full paint job, but that would be like cutting off my arm, to painful!!!
Old 08-14-2005, 02:51 AM
Instructor

i park my car outside since i live about 3min. away from the beach walking. space is very limited here so i really dont have a choice since my parents park their cars in the garage....and unfortunately they have nicer cars than me....lol
Old 08-14-2005, 03:29 AM
Missing my Acura's

Originally Posted by whatwasthat
i think, if you report something like that within 24 hrs to insurance, you don;'t have to pay the deductible..

right?/
Nope does not matter if there is no other party involved for your insurance to go after for reimbursement you have to pay a deductible.

Originally Posted by Inspire
There are lots of psychos out there man... Got nothing better to do with their life. wouldn't they raise the insurance rate by reporting the damages to them?
Nope ya rate only goes up if something is your fault, And vandalizm is not your fault.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:09 PM
The New 3 Series Coupe

Nope ya rate only goes up if something is your fault, And vandalizm is not your fault.
I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:48 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nope......it still goes up.
as long as u make a claim, its going up.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:53 PM
Missing my Acura's

Originally Posted by bkzjimmy
nope......it still goes up.
as long as u make a claim, its going up.
Not in mass. Because there is no system for keeping up with things like that. The only way your rate goes up is by your driving step and vandalism does not make your step increase. I am pretty sure having been through this multiple times.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:54 PM
Instructor

Same in NC onlyu goes up if you caused the damage, anything lese you can claim 10 times and your insurance stays the same.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:44 PM
2Poor 2Furious

I'm pretty sure it won't go up due to vandalism. HOWEVER, the next time something happens that is your fault, you know the insurance company will jack up your rates to cover the costs of the previous vandalism. That's why I try to keep the "little" claims down cuz I know the bastards will take the money back eventually.

With that said, sorry to hear that. My dad works as a computer guy at a hospital, and one day, he came out and found his Mercedes keyed. Turns out someone went through and keyed ALL the Mercedes in the lot cuz he was pissed at his doctor or something. If your damage is front and rear door on one side like my dad's, it should run about $1000 to get it done, and I'd recommend paying it all out of pocket if your deductible is $500.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:43 PM
Advanced

Vandalism is not considered your fault therefore your insurance rates will NOT rise. I've been thru it. The instances in which your rates could rise would be where your insurance file shows multiple claims of vandalism.
Anyhow, I had some younger kid key a car of mine (not my new acura) and I did not catch him in the act but I feel it was "payback" from an incident that occurred on the basketball court a mere 30 mins. before I discovered the damage. I waited weeks and never spotted him again. Well I keyed the rest of my car, made a claim first thing in the morning (like I just woke up and discovered it) and then called my insurance co. Next day a rep came out, looked over the damage. 30 mins. later tells me I can receive $2,000 worth of work to it and my deduct was $500. I found a good paint place and they took 6 days to fully re-paint, take out dents and a few small others to my car. It looked incredible. Wish I would have caught the kid because I would have taken his parents to small claims court and would have filed for $2k in damages.
My advice if you do this is to not over-key your car. Key the hood, all 4 doors, the trunk and basically any metal portion of the vehicle. A simple 2-3 line weave fairly deep should do the trick. Do it late at night and do it away from your house. That way no neighbor could come outside and see you in the act even if it is really dark. With your luck a cop could decide to question neighbors if he/she wants and you could be screwing yourself with numerous infractions. Also dont be suprised to see the cop pull out a brush and the magic powder to dust for fingerprints. They will show up and pull the sample prints off.
Note* I, in no way support this or endorse it either. Thank you and have a good day.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:59 PM
Advanced

Of course this story never took place, just some insider info from friends especially a law enforcement friend and insurance friend.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:14 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Inspire
they did when i reported the same issue with my old car (maxima)

30 days later, my insurance went up!