my TL being taken away :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2001, 09:06 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by bioyuki

How the hell? You can't go over 5. I would have a higher GPA but I'm only a junior and I have sports. Next year mine should be 4.9 .
Maybe in Cali, but in Florida, we get 6 points for AP classes.
Old 11-03-2001, 10:33 PM
tre
Racer

well thats because florida is crazy
Old 11-04-2001, 12:47 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: While we're beating a dead horse...

Originally posted by vperkins2

There are several problems with your argument.

First, it's as though you are coming in at the end of the movie and trying to guess what went on earlier. What was left unstated was that his parents probably had an agreement that he got to drive the car IF his GPA was at least a 'B' (3.0). If indeed that's how things began then the "punishment" was self-inflicted IMO. The remedy is also just as clear: bring your GPA up to 3.0... and here are the keys again.

If one's man enough to take the keys... then one should also be man enough to endure the consequences of their actions.

Second, kids are motivated in different ways. The fact that this young man is posting his woes on this forum is a GOOD sign that HIS parents found the CORRECT motivating factor FOR HIM. And, to be quite honest, he seems very well adjusted (i.e. he realizes it was his fault) for his young years (I'm 38 and a Dad, by the way). For other kids it might be no basketball this season, or no Playstation 2 for this quarter. Whatever works.

Third, Tre's never posted why he missed by such a slim margin (and he doesn't have to). But I'm guessing that Tre might raise his "personal goal" a few points higher than 3.0 from now on. Perhaps he'll shoot for a 3.5 -- just in case!

Fourth, you are a very special case. Leaving home at 14... yikes! Let's just say there's a reason we don't kick kids out 'til they're at least 18. Hats off to you for surviving... let alone any successes you've made.

And lastly, until you have your own child -- and you finally realize that the little life looking up at you is TOTALLY dependant on you -- you are just having a theoretical conversation. Theoretical conversations are fun, sometimes even enlightening. But believe me -- reality is a bee-otch [slang intentional]. In my opinion this kid's parents are to be congratulated! They've almost churned out a normal, hardworking, caring human. Just a few more years to go...

And, Tre, most of us realize that Catholic School is tougher than most public schools. Catholic school is sorta like running with little weights on your legs. When you finally take them off you fly by most "regular" people. Just keep repeating to yourself: The more you learn... the more you earn!! If that doesn't motivate you then take a picture of your Acura keys and paste it to your books!

Later,

V.

P.S. Tre, start writing your posts like you do your English papers! You know -- capital letters, punctuation, good sentence structure! And stop slouching and sit up straight! (Ok, ok, I'm exiting Dad-mode now...)

All I have to say is that different prespective. I am still young, and you are a dad... I know that I can't afford to have a kid, Cuz I will be spoil them like crazy, I won't let them grow up the way I did. Yet what happened to me was way tough then having my car taken away. What car, I didn't have a bike by then...

Yet I have to say that it's those tough things that make you grow... So, if I spoil my kid, then maybe my kid won't be the type of person I am... That's a catch 22 I guess...
Old 11-04-2001, 03:16 PM
Instructor

SL my bro!
people are constant learning new things and ways to survive. They'll only learn things through mistakes and failures.

Taking the car away as to encourage him to work hard isn't right.
He'll probably get into a habit of doing things just for the reward, instead of doing it for the love!

HAhaha.. that's so corny/dry... doing it for the love! WAHahh

oh wellz... don't u all wish that the money just falls down from the sky and u'll have a "Aladin" as a backup?? lol
Old 11-04-2001, 03:19 PM
Instructor

U can get a 3.0 no problem! Study hard man..

but, what's school gonna get u? Haha... i dunno.. all my friends are complaining about paying the tuition for nothing. We might not even get a well paid job by the time we graduate. Life sucks...

It's the way u survive in the real world matters. Knowledge is certainly important. But, how well u handle things and work with people would only come from experience. Nerds can not work with people well. Nerds would only work FOR people.

^_^

there goes my 2 cent...
Old 11-04-2001, 03:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally posted by tre
...( I capitalized and whatnot, happy ? haha )
Yep!
Old 11-04-2001, 04:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Re: Re: While we're beating a dead horse...

Originally posted by SL1200MK4
All I have to say is that different prespective. I am still young, and you are a dad... I know that I can't afford to have a kid, Cuz I will be spoil them like crazy, I won't let them grow up the way I did. Yet what happened to me was way tough then having my car taken away. What car, I didn't have a bike by then...

Yet I have to say that it's those tough things that make you grow... So, if I spoil my kid, then maybe my kid won't be the type of person I am... That's a catch 22 I guess...
I understand what you're saying. And you're right, it is a Catch-22 situation! My parents grew up without much (poor). As a result, my Mom wanted to spoil us kids, but my Dad wanted us to earn everything ourselves. Luckily, they found a middle ground -- we didn't get everything we wanted, but we received our share of new stuff, too.

As with most things... "everything in moderation" is usually the best way to go. Spoiling your kids probably cheats them in the long run. Kids need to know how to earn things on their own. Heck, I still remember that the toys/games I played with the most were the ones that I used my allowance to buy. On the other hand, the first toys broken were probably X-mas and B-day gifts.

This has been a fun thread. Later.

V.