my friend got into a car accident that almost took her life today, need some help

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 06:27 PM
OM NOM NOM NOM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The CHP is working on the case currently, maybe I will go by the DA's office if things get worse. She is 20 turning 21 in november i think. Her parents work all day, and when they heard the accident, they took off and drove up to see her and the car. When they dropped by the yard to see the car, it was burnt practically to a crisp. too bad i cant get my hands on some pictures
Old 07-31-2008, 02:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I'm from Davis also...at least we have a good bus system so she won't be screwed getting to class =/ Hope everything works out for you guys.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:36 PM
OM NOM NOM NOM

well she was screwed over when her books and notes burned up in her car. her teachers are a buncha assholes. her teacher responded to her with "thats unfortunate, I can show you my notes, but i cant send it to you" so she had to go into her teacher's office to write notes all day, and he showed no sign of expression towards her.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by heyitsvu
well she was screwed over when her books and notes burned up in her car. her teachers are a buncha assholes. her teacher responded to her with "thats unfortunate, I can show you my notes, but i cant send it to you" so she had to go into her teacher's office to write notes all day, and he showed no sign of expression towards her.
Shoot the pages with a camera, properly cropped they will reprint at 8.5x11.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:23 PM
OM NOM NOM NOM

she has nothing left, which is the main problem. and it doesnt matter anymore because both her finals were today
Old 07-31-2008, 05:50 PM
East Coast Crew

The world sucks. I can't imagine a teacher that cold-hearted. Just letting you and her know that you got an asian brother supporting.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
I was thinking lawyer in terms of getting the insurance co to pay or get involved with the search and their special database and access. I admit to not understanding the terms of my uninsured coverage--- and will be calling my agent!!!
What to do if someone takes you out? Turn into them instead of the guardrail or wall.
Make sure you disable them so they cant leave before getting some kind of info and satisfying the insurance.

Its a sad lesson to all about comprehensive insurance. Fire Theft Damage,
on top of good high coverage limits liabilty

You HAVE to have it while making payments on a car- so the bank gets compensated in case of loss.
Many think its ok to drop after that.

IMO- Its better in the long run to have all the coverage you can get- especially with the number of illegal or unlicensed- suspended-revoked drivers--rising every day- and they are still on the roads.

raise the deductibles on glass and theft or whatever it takes, but IMO- unless you are driving a $2000 car- keep it covered. I didnt feel this way till the Maxima was lost to a 3 car accident and the TL came into my life.
FULL coverage please!!!- paid it off- keep the full coverage thank you!

Hope to never need it, or the basic survival and accident rescue gear I carry in the car-
I figure by having it...it prevents problems- like having aaa roadservice- hope to not need them....
Old 08-01-2008, 08:34 PM
.a BUM with SMG...

dam , i hate those hit and run ppl. Goddam it. Im chanting for you guys and bring ur lluck for ur friend now . Man im hope that green mercury guy will be arrested soon and be in there for about like what...forever maybe!!.

Man i got into 3 accidents and i know how this thing hurts you. I broke my wrist and almost my other wrist but was lucky. Man my dad fixed it him self by his own money , man first crash is on the Avalon costed him 9gs, second on my TL in the ffront costed 4gs, and the last last one( wont happen again) costed him 9Gs and som other things.

Man dont be yell at me when i say this. Ok , i believe that in every one's lives, 1 or 2 accidents will happen.

But anyway im feel sorry for ur friend, the best thing you can do right now is dont let her seeing her car right now, or never untill it fixed. Take her to redo all her paper works and all the cards that she lost in the fire.

Man tell her like this , and this is truth. The evil bad luck that came to you and now it gone forever. Should be thank god.
Sorry for my bad English
Old 08-02-2008, 01:10 AM
Advanced

I agree with 01tl- if the insuance company wants to play tough, then get a lawyer involved. Uninsured motorist coverage should cover such an event. I'm sure you can find a lawyer thats salavating for an opportunity like this. Plus, presented with a law suit, I"m sure that the insurance company would rather settle out of court.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:53 AM
Volks FTW!!!

wow that's insane. i've commuted that route for many years...

i hear about all these accidents on the radio and it just sucks that this kind of stuff has to happen. losing all your personal items is not fun. it's the things you can't get back that make things difficult.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:58 AM
OM NOM NOM NOM

hoping that everything turns out well for her too.

I did find out she didn't do too bad on her final
Old 08-02-2008, 08:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tempest
I agree with 01tl- if the insuance company wants to play tough, then get a lawyer involved. Uninsured motorist coverage should cover such an event. I'm sure you can find a lawyer thats salavating for an opportunity like this. Plus, presented with a law suit, I"m sure that the insurance company would rather settle out of court.
FYI - this is potentially very bad advice. Read over your policy before you get a laywer. Nothing like going to court and the insurance company holding your policy up to inform you and the court the conditions you need to qualify.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:59 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by rob-2
FYI - this is potentially very bad advice. Read over your policy before you get a laywer. Nothing like going to court and the insurance company holding your policy up to inform you and the court the conditions you need to qualify.
Yes. Thats were our world is headed to. "Who cares if we have a contract, I am gonna sue you or threaten to sue you cause I think it should be this way"

Glad to know that she is doing okay, but if you don't have full coverage and your policy does not cover this then thats the way it is. A lesson to be learned. If you have a nice car, insure it fully.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

^ Agreed. People get lawyers instead of understanding their rights. The only reason to get a lawyer is if the law is on your side and your rights need protecting.

I'm about 90% confident your friend will need a description of the vehicle and a partial of the plate to cover. That is the condition under my geico policy.

While we're on the topic of insurance, and everyone who reads these is likely thinking about their coverage. Up your liability to the most your insurance company will offer you. Likely you have 300k, max 100k/person. This is NOTHING if you hit someone like a doctor or lawyer.

The state of California has a minimum of 15k in liability. Many people save the $100/year and get the min. Insurance is simply a numbers game. For an insurance company it's cheaper just to pay out 15-100k/person instead of paying to defend you. Now if they have a million or two on the table to loose they'll pay to represent you in court. Why? Not because they like you, but because they have so much too loose. So for the extra cost you'll get legal representation and greatly reduce the chances you'll be put into serious debt. Imagine your life savings vanishing because of a court ruling. It happens every day to someone who wanted to save some $$ on insurance.

Think about how different you life would be between 80/month and $110/month for insurance coverage. Including full coverage and $1mill + in liability? $360/year is nothing when you weigh the risks.

Ok, I hope that helps someone.

FYI - in other countries they have higher legal minimums for liability, it's insane what is allowed here. Boarder line reckless law making.

FYI2 - Gieco will allow you to add an umbrella policy to your auto policy. For some people this makes sense. If memory serves me you can go from $300k/$100/person to $1mill for $40/year. Or something like that. I believe $2mill + requires an umbrella policy and rates are different because they are not tied to your driving record. If you're young and drive like a fool you better carry more then $1mill. If you have any assests you need $1mill +. Drive like a fool and have assest get $2mill plus. It's likely the cheapest insurance you can get.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Fat bastard

unfortunately, i cant get any pics. her car is at the yard in fairfield and i'm in san jose working. the girls insurance said they wont cover for the damages which sucks. I'm not sure if they're willing to help. Usually, AAA is pretty good with helping their insurance members, but i dunno. we'll see. I'll check with her when she's back.
AAA is notorious for NOT doing everything they can to help their members out when a loss occurs...I have had numerous friends and family members get stonewalled at every opportunity bytheir insurance/dealer services arm when I still lived in Southern California....I personally have had the best luck with Progressive in the past but I digress.

Sorry for your friend's loss and physical pain and injuries, but remember that life is the most valuable thing...material possessions may have monetary and sentimental value but won't do you any good if you're not around to enjoy them.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:05 PM
.a BUM with SMG...

Safeco is good guys , com on trust me.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:40 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rob-2
^ Agreed. People get lawyers instead of understanding their rights. The only reason to get a lawyer is if the law is on your side and your rights need protecting.

I'm about 90% confident your friend will need a description of the vehicle and a partial of the plate to cover. That is the condition under my geico policy.

While we're on the topic of insurance, and everyone who reads these is likely thinking about their coverage. Up your liability to the most your insurance company will offer you. Likely you have 300k, max 100k/person. This is NOTHING if you hit someone like a doctor or lawyer.

The state of California has a minimum of 15k in liability. Many people save the $100/year and get the min. Insurance is simply a numbers game. For an insurance company it's cheaper just to pay out 15-100k/person instead of paying to defend you. Now if they have a million or two on the table to loose they'll pay to represent you in court. Why? Not because they like you, but because they have so much too loose. So for the extra cost you'll get legal representation and greatly reduce the chances you'll be put into serious debt. Imagine your life savings vanishing because of a court ruling. It happens every day to someone who wanted to save some $$ on insurance.

Think about how different you life would be between 80/month and $110/month for insurance coverage. Including full coverage and $1mill + in liability? $360/year is nothing when you weigh the risks.

Ok, I hope that helps someone.

FYI - in other countries they have higher legal minimums for liability, it's insane what is allowed here. Boarder line reckless law making.

FYI2 - Gieco will allow you to add an umbrella policy to your auto policy. For some people this makes sense. If memory serves me you can go from $300k/$100/person to $1mill for $40/year. Or something like that. I believe $2mill + requires an umbrella policy and rates are different because they are not tied to your driving record. If you're young and drive like a fool you better carry more then $1mill. If you have any assests you need $1mill +. Drive like a fool and have assest get $2mill plus. It's likely the cheapest insurance you can get.

I was under the impression that uninsured motorist coverage covered you in the event of a hit and run if the perp cannot be found. I am not in any way suggesting that people just sue on a whim. I was merely suggesting that if the Insurance company was trying to screw his friend out of what is rightfully due to her that she take legal action to make them pay up.

In any event, I hope that they find the guy that did this and just make them own up to their own mistakes.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:42 AM
Advanced

Check this out:

http://www.doniglaw.com/CM/Articles/Articles8.asp

specifically under the heading marked: "WHEN DOES AN UNINSURED MOTORIST POLICY APPLY?"

This is specifically from a law office in California.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:00 AM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by tempest
Check this out:

http://www.doniglaw.com/CM/Articles/Articles8.asp

specifically under the heading marked: "WHEN DOES AN UNINSURED MOTORIST POLICY APPLY?"

This is specifically from a law office in California.
WHAT LOSSES ARE COVERED?

Uninsured motorist coverage is intended to compensate you for both your financial and your non-financial losses which you sustain, and for which you have a legal claim as a result of the negligence of an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver. Your financial losses would include any medical expenses which you reasonably required as a result of such an incident, any loss of income or earnings, any diminution in your ability to earn money in the future, or any assorted out-of-pocket expenses such as household and related help and assistance.
They may not cover the car but at least they should cover her medical bills.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:06 AM
Advanced

I would assume that it would also cover some, if not all, damage to the vehicle.

Either way, it sounds like it to me that her insurance company is trying to screw her out of what is due to her.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:52 PM
OM NOM NOM NOM

Thanks for all the advice guys. I will definitely relay it to her. Lets see what her insurance company has to say about it.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Just to clarify, if she'd had comprehensive coverage, she still wouldn't be covered by it in this instance. This would've fallen under a collision claim, since the fire was a direct result of an accident. On the other hand, if someone torched the car, or it caught on fire due to an electrical problem, etc., then it would be considered a comp claim.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:09 PM
Advanced

heyitsvu- keep us posted on what happens. Hope everything turns out well for her.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:15 PM
steeez

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
okay, i called the toll booths already. apparently, they have cameras recording 24/7, so if the chp can get their hands on it, they can probably spot the guy. I talked to chp today, and there are some cameras along the route, but im not sure whether they run 24/7. there's already a log in the chp database, and an officer is currently working on the case. let's hope they find the fucker
thats def good to hear.. i hate hearing stories where people really cant do anything. GL trying to catch this guy.. my moms been in a hit and run twice.. once they see a helpless old asian lady they think its cool to split. id love to pwn someone who tried to hit and run me..
Old 08-05-2008, 05:30 PM
.a BUM with SMG...

Originally Posted by ecliptics
thats def good to hear.. i hate hearing stories where people really cant do anything. GL trying to catch this guy.. my moms been in a hit and run twice.. once they see a helpless old asian lady they think its cool to split. id love to pwn someone who tried to hit and run me..
that fucker up
Old 08-05-2008, 07:08 PM
2011 BMW 335i

I am sorry to hear about what happened to your friend. I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but I REALLY dont understand why she would only have liability on a 03-05 Lexus IS300, that makes no sense, only think I can think of is she was a college student trying to save money, but you don't do that when you have a $20k-$25k car.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:52 PM
Advanced

Amen to that

Glad she is safe, but, she learned an expensive life lesson. If you can deal without the car then drop the collision coverage. That's a calculated risk, which is what isurance is all about--risk. Sorry, but if you can't afford to insure a late model Lexus, sell it for something you can afford to own. Since there was property damage and not life loss or major injury, I doubt this would rate high on the police resources. Even if they find the van's owner, he could be an illegal, a person who lent the car, or the tag could be stolen. A lawyer, which some are suggesting, will cost money.

Going after either the driver (likely they have little assets driving a Villiger and there was no major injury) or the insurance company (with more $$$ and not wrong here), won't be a case many lawyers would take without a retainer. If she could not afford collision, she can't afford a retainer. Welcome to the real world, it's cruel.