was it my fault?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 12:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
was it my fault?

went to start the car today in the cold (new england just got some fresh snow). seemed like a slow start.. but didn't think anything of it. assumed it was the weather. then i drove about ...30 miles. parked. and didn't come back for another 2hours. went to start the car. dead. some juice left, radio still worked. lights too. but i guess there wasn't enough to start the engine, but i can feel like the engine just needed a bit more to start. so i kept on trying. it was still snowing and no one around. so i wanted it to start to go get another battery and heat. well, as i kept trying i got it to start. then i noticed i was low on gas... not out just low about 2 notchs above E.... so i go to the gas station.. and all in my excitedness ...i turned off the enigine!@#$#@!!@#. here we go again. after a few tries.. i finally got it started... but this time.. D5 was blinking and check engine light came on...?? scared to sh!t. the computer side of me came out and quickly turned it off.. (like restarting windows ..)... waited a minute...and turned it on again.. dunno after how many tries. but no blinking and no check engine light...?? changed the battery and everything seems fine.... so i'm asking what was it that made the check engine light come on? when the battery dies? or did i do something/affect anything from all that starting?-pretty sure i did, but wondering how bad?

any ideas guys? seem to know a lot more than me.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:24 AM
Comptech Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
batteries are only at 50% of the strength in cold weather start, that's y some cars have a battery blanket so it can keep warm

also empty gas tank will make gas line freezes and the injectors are stuck, in cold weather better to leave ur gas tank half way full at minimum to avoid the gas freezes

it certainly works for you if u change the battery, but i don't have 150 dolalrs to change it when it's happening once or twice per winter LOL
Old 11-14-2004, 07:39 AM
Kollage is funn!

just read up on those optima yellow tops....gonna get one when my battery dies. i like how it sounds. def. sounds like a good battery to keep your car commfortable. i absolutely HATE not having power in the winter, when everythings cold, and frozen, not working, no power, ARRHHAHH....i hate that.

anyway, when making short stops, try and leave the car running.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:17 AM
Instructor

The battery volts dropped low enough to confuse the compter? New batteries good, old batteries bad.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:40 AM
Sig Rho's Finest

same thing happened to me a few days ago. just change your battery and everything will be fine
Old 11-14-2004, 05:38 PM
Comptech Freak

Originally Posted by tpatel
same thing happened to me a few days ago. just change your battery and everything will be fine
$$$
a battery is supposed to last you quite a while, it's so gay if you ahve to replace one every year right?

you can buy those battery blankets to keep the battery from cold, but dunno it they fits our car

or you can try to run 3-4k rpm in 1st gear to charge up the battery faster
Old 11-14-2004, 05:54 PM
Burning Brakes

so nothing to bring to the dealer about? since check engine light came on, and D5 blinked, an error was logged, right? i dunno, i was just hoping the D5 kept blinking so i can get a new tranny. replaced mine when the D5 kept blinking. btw, is that the same thing, when i hear people talk about their tranny going, is the D5 blinking?? how do you konw if it's gone,, car stops? or what? when the D5 blinked before, the car was fine, just kept blinking so i took it to the dealer and they told me about the extended warrenty stuff. i think they replaced the tranny, dunno for sure. but in conclusion, want it to mess up so i can get another one quick before times up. at 87k right now.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:00 PM
Comptech Freak

Originally Posted by whatwasthat
so nothing to bring to the dealer about? since check engine light came on, and D5 blinked, an error was logged, right? i dunno, i was just hoping the D5 kept blinking so i can get a new tranny. replaced mine when the D5 kept blinking. btw, is that the same thing, when i hear people talk about their tranny going, is the D5 blinking?? how do you konw if it's gone,, car stops? or what? when the D5 blinked before, the car was fine, just kept blinking so i took it to the dealer and they told me about the extended warrenty stuff. i think they replaced the tranny, dunno for sure. but in conclusion, want it to mess up so i can get another one quick before times up. at 87k right now.
if it's the problem of the battery then it's not their problem at all, coz battery is not warrented

but if you have roadside assistant you will get a free boost or free tow. but new battery is extra charge
Old 11-14-2004, 06:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by samkws
$$$
a battery is supposed to last you quite a while, it's so gay if you ahve to replace one every year right?

you can buy those battery blankets to keep the battery from cold, but dunno it they fits our car

or you can try to run 3-4k rpm in 1st gear to charge up the battery faster
it wasnt a issue a battery nlanket would resolve. the batery id dead in his car. they should last more than a year. if it doesnt something else is causing it. get a redtop optima and you will be set for MANY MANY years to come
Old 11-14-2004, 11:19 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Depending on what you're running and the quality of the battery, they should last four or five years. If you're replacing it every year - there's def a problem. And yes, batteries do come with a warranty.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:42 PM
10th Gear

If the battery isnt completely dead but doesnt have enough power to start the car, is it really that dangerous for the computer to jump start the car?
Old 01-13-2005, 08:44 PM
Comptech Freak

Originally Posted by massk87
If the battery isnt completely dead but doesnt have enough power to start the car, is it really that dangerous for the computer to jump start the car?
no
not really related
Old 01-13-2005, 09:19 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
if you dont have a high RMS stereo system or a lot of led/neons you can go with a red top optima battery. I personally have the yellow top, and I love it.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:47 AM
Racer

how is the fit of the optima batteries? is it a direct replacement? if i remember correctly, you need to trim the plastic battery cover??
Old 01-14-2005, 01:58 AM
Kollage is funn!

dunno, but i'm gonna wait it out on my stock battery until it dies....i have a rechargable socket jumper which i always keep connected and fully charged, so if i do any stupid shit like leave the radio on (again) i'll be okay.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:57 AM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

When D5 blinks, I thought it's symptom for tranny failure.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:24 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
the fit is great, I used the cover of the optima to put it as support on the bottom of the battery, that raised it. Then you just use the stock's fastenings....And I used the regular OEM battery cover, everything fits fine.