My Exhausts Set Off Car Alarms!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 03:49 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Exhausts Set Off Car Alarms!

Yeah, just as the title suggest, my HKS Super Drager exhausts are so loud right now that it sets off car alarms. HKS comes really quiet, and after njtls and TL909 advice, I removed the large resonator, in addition I took out the small one as well.

Now it produces such a deep tone that everything loose or shaky in my car will vibrate. For example, I can hear rattle noises coming from inside the passenger side door. TL909 even warned me in advanced that I will experience setting off car alarms, but I thought he was only joking.

I guess some car alarms are fragile and will go off to the slightest vibration or sound because as I drive in my school parking lot, it seems that only those alarms will go off. Obviously, I don't set off the whole thousands of cars parked or else I'd be in deep trouble up the ying-yang. I feel like I'm instrumental in causing small earthquakes in Southern California. I hope the cars next to me don't mind HAHHH.

My question is, I know it's hard for you to gauge the decibal level, but do you think this is street legal? I'm so afraid that cops will pull me over for having such a loud exhaust. And I thought my uncle's Greddy on his IS was loud...
Old 03-13-2004, 04:02 PM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
From what you describe, your exhaust is LOUD. If the noise is lower than 95db (if I remember correctly) then it's legal, according to DMV law. I got pull over a few year back for loud exhaust on my accord, and i won in the court because the cop only cite the loudness by ear, not by any machines since CHP don't have machine to measure the decible. So my argument is that even my exhaust has the noise level of 94db, then it's still legal and there is no way the cop or any person can know the different between 94db and 95db just listening by ear. Becareful still even you might won in the court because the cop sure like to give you fix ticket and you have to come to the court to fight, and who know he might find write you some other not so legal ticket on your car.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:04 PM
Banned

if the cop wants to be a real dick and get a decibal meter out he/she can ive seen it done a couple times in my town....mostly it was on cars which bascially had no exhaust piping, basically headers and out the downpipe. My friends exhaust on his 2.5rs impreza use to set alarms off. i dont think u should have a problem
Old 03-13-2004, 04:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
on mine (i have the comptechs) with both resonators removed, the sound isnt really that loud, it just the low rpm droan that is such a LOW frequency it does that. min has done that too, but out side the car it isnt that loud, just low
Old 03-13-2004, 04:39 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your exhaust must be really loud. I remember my friend had a boosted '92 Hatch w/a OBX racing exhaust...boy was it loud. We used to always go by AMC Barrington and set off car alarms by driving around the lot...hahaha, the good ol' times.
Old 03-13-2004, 06:55 PM
Drifting

congrats on the loud exhaust...my never sets off alarms tho =(
Old 03-13-2004, 08:13 PM
Instructor

damn my magnaflows might do that i'll drive around a parking lot revving my engine and see if any go off i dont think mine is that deep though.
Old 03-14-2004, 01:09 AM
Racer

Originally posted by `ill*tl
Your exhaust must be really loud. I remember my friend had a boosted '92 Hatch w/a OBX racing exhaust...boy was it loud. We used to always go by AMC Barrington and set off car alarms by driving around the lot...hahaha, the good ol' times.
HAHHH it's funny you should mention that. I thought it was a fluke the first time, so I actually drove around my school's parking lot to test if I can set off another car alarm. It's a little difficult at times because I'm facing a lot of traffic during heavy hours, but however I did manage to set off one car alarm HAHHH.

I know this is messed up of me, but I was just testing to make certain it was not a fluke. I wonder what kind of alarms do these cars have installed, though? I mean, it's either gotta be very expensive or very cheap to cause it to go off by the exhausts.
Old 03-14-2004, 01:11 AM
Racer

Originally posted by jmtl
damn my magnaflows might do that i'll drive around a parking lot revving my engine and see if any go off i dont think mine is that deep though.
Hehhh if it's the Magnaflows like the one bigman has, I bet you can set off 10 cars in less than an hour of work.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:17 AM
Intermediate

actually fsttyms1 from your vids i like the sound your car gives off...i think it was the 12/20 vid..your car sounds tight, nice work...i find myself just sitting at my computer listening to your car race up and down the open road.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:23 AM
USMC Butterbars

ive got the comptechs and while i love the low grumble noise for my daily driving....the long highway trips is a pain....the constant droning noise is killer...