My car is possessed!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2002, 01:23 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car is possessed!!

When I'm driving on the freeway, sometimes my car starts pulling really hard to either the right or the left. When it happens, I'm scared I might get pulled into a car next to me, but everytime so far, I've caught it in time and pulled myself straight.

I just in put on some 18" wheels with Nitto NT555 tires. They're 235/40/18. Could these be causing the problem? I noticed the tires have really wide tread. Could this be catching onto a crack on the freeway and be pulling me to the side (Cause the freeways in Cali have lots of long cracks in the lanes where two pieces of asphalt are joined). It really worries me, and I think I might need to get new tires. Anyone else ever experience this??
Old 02-15-2002, 01:29 AM
¤ Club Inspire ¤

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes..could be the rims. Also..sounds like you might need a alignment. If your car is lowered...consider a camber kit also. I have that problem on my Accord....very low..no alignment nor camber..and it does it alot....it's sooo scary! I also have rims on it. But if memory serves...it also did it with the factory rims.
Old 02-15-2002, 01:40 AM
Instructor

This problem never occurred with my stock wheels and tires, and it just started with my new wheels.

I did install the wheels myself, so maybe I need to align the wheels? Is it just LA freeways that have longs cracks in them? I'm talking about the 405 in OC.
Old 02-15-2002, 01:40 AM
Racer

Go get a priest to bless the car

Mr.T
Old 02-15-2002, 01:54 AM
¤ Club Inspire ¤

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After you put on new wheels..I believe you need to get a alignment again. go get a alignment!!

hahaha T! What's up DOOD?!?!?! wanna trade lights?!
Old 02-15-2002, 02:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Andres -

Yeah, that is normal when you put on very low profile tires. This might sound complex, but just try and visualize it. The reason it is pulling is because of the grooves in the road. It'll usually only happen on the higway or very heavily traveled roads (mostly by 18 wheelers).

The reason why the roads get grooves are because of heavy use, and heavy weight (that's why they have weight limits on roads for 18 wheelers). The constant pounding on the road by heavy vehicles forms the grooves, not to mention when an 18 wheeler sits on the road in traffic when it's really hot out. The road tends to get "pushed" in in the areas that it's mostly used.

When the car starts to jerk or pull, the reason is because you're on a slant, or imperfection on the road. A higher profile tire will conform to the slant, causing you to make minor adjustments in the steering. Since you have such a low profile tire, your tire won't "form" to the slant, causing your cars weight to ride on either edge of the tire. When this happens, the tire will jerk over until it reaches flat ground, or either edge of the tire isn't supporting the weight of the car. This is turn causes a sudden jerk and very hard pull in the steering.

When I had my Integra, this use to always happen to me. It would always catch me off guard, and believe me, it isn't fun. I almost got into a few accidents because of it.

Like other members have said, your alignment could play a role in this too. Make sure you get an alignment whenever you switch rims or get new tires, as the new "diameter" of the tire will affect many things.

Hope this helps