My 99 TL and Plasti Dip

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 12:05 AM
Registered Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
My 99 TL and Plasti Dip

Check out my video of me Plasti dipping my trunk and badge:

If you guys want anything dipped, pm me!
More videos to come very soon!
The following users liked this post:
SR91128 (05-23-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 12:56 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you should look into getting the 02-03 white/red taillights. I did it and it makes it look so much nicer, nice video how long does the plastidip stay on?
Old 02-10-2013, 01:40 AM
Registered Enthusiast

Originally Posted by griffing
you should look into getting the 02-03 white/red taillights. I did it and it makes it look so much nicer, nice video how long does the plastidip stay on?
I like the newer tailights, but I really like the older ones too. I'll probably pick up a pair just to have though. Thanks though man. I'm not sure how long it lasts. So far it looks like it's lasting over a year pretty easily.
griffing (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 07:58 AM
MechEng

Received 486 Likes on 403 Posts
you can't do large surfaces like that with a plasti dip spray can. it's not a consistent spray so it will end up blotchy and with lots of streaks like yours. if you want it to look right, you need a compressor and gun.

i have heard that you can wipe down the surface after spraying with a chemical and it sort of evens out the plasti dip so it doesn't look blotchy. you could search what it is and try it out. then report back here.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:42 PM
Registered Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 03tLsNBP
you can't do large surfaces like that with a plasti dip spray can. it's not a consistent spray so it will end up blotchy and with lots of streaks like yours. if you want it to look right, you need a compressor and gun.

i have heard that you can wipe down the surface after spraying with a chemical and it sort of evens out the plasti dip so it doesn't look blotchy. you could search what it is and try it out. then report back here.
Ya I wouldn't do the whole car with the spray can. There is a solution to fix mistakes and I am going to buy the sprayer very soon. They also just came out with a better spray can tip. I'm waiting for taxes and I will be buying all of these things. I'm going to keep going with these cans though. I have more videos and there are jobs I did without blemishes or problems. The bigger areas are harder to stay consistent with but I am working on it. More videos coming soon! Pm me to plasti dip your cars/emblems/wings/grills/wheels/lips !!
Old 02-10-2013, 03:04 PM
Registered Enthusiast

More videos are up! More to come! Pm me if you want something plasti dipped!
Old 02-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 205 Likes on 180 Posts
An indoor or at least covered work space would be great. Keep wind from blowing debris on wet plasti dip and from blowing your spray too.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Registered Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MilwaukeeDave
An indoor or at least covered work space would be great. Keep wind from blowing debris on wet plasti dip and from blowing your spray too.
I have a garage for that. I do understand the basics. I had the garage door open for lighting for the video.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

You can do it with spray cans, but it requires putting it on a little heavier and cooler temps help so that it doesnt dry as quick allowing it to flow together and not dry blotchy Like any type of painting, you MUST take your time.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:42 PM
Registered Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
You can do it with spray cans, but it requires putting it on a little heavier and cooler temps help so that it doesnt dry as quick allowing it to flow together and not dry blotchy Like any type of painting, you MUST take your time.
Agreed. I might do the rest of the car in black with gloss over and all cans! Who's ready to get plasti dipped?
Old 02-10-2013, 09:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by emaka9
Ya I wouldn't do the whole car with the spray can. There is a solution to fix mistakes and I am going to buy the sprayer very soon. They also just came out with a better spray can tip. I'm waiting for taxes and I will be buying all of these things. I'm going to keep going with these cans though. I have more videos and there are jobs I did without blemishes or problems. The bigger areas are harder to stay consistent with but I am working on it. More videos coming soon! Pm me to plasti dip your cars/emblems/wings/grills/wheels/lips !!
If you have a decent size air compressor you can put it in most spray guns (found in auto parts stores/harbor freight/home depots etc..) with a 1.4 tip, 1.7 would be better.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:46 PM
Registered Enthusiast

If you have a decent size air compressor you can put it in most spray guns (found in auto parts stores/harbor freight/home depots etc..) with a 1.4 tip, 1.7 would be better.

I'm actually going to get a sprayer and the gallons very soon. Thanks for your input. I'm ready to start dippin the Aziners!! How do I become a Vendor?
Old 02-10-2013, 09:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Look at the bottom. There is a contact us button.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:05 PM
Registered Enthusiast

Thanks!! More videos coming!!
Old 02-10-2013, 11:15 PM
MechEng

Hmm, I'll have to test that out since its 32 degrees out now. Although, I've had best results when I keep the can far away. Light coats and lots of patience.

Do you have any results for a large flat surface?
Old 02-11-2013, 12:44 AM
uʍop ǝpısdn ǝdʎʇ uɐɔ ı

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
You should dip your B Pillars! I am going to be doing them when the weather gets nicer up here.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:51 AM
Registered Enthusiast

Hmm, I'll have to test that out since its 32 degrees out now. Although, I've had best results when I keep the can far away. Light coats and lots of patience.

Actually, it is winter and its been about 40-50 degrees outside with all of my jobs so far. I have more videos coming soon. I did my hood, trunk, and roof. Those are pretty large areas. Sorry for the wait. The videos will be up soon. I also like to keep the can far away and do light coats. I'm finding that close and fast is really good.

Originally Posted by thelastaspec
You should dip your B Pillars! I am going to be doing them when the weather gets nicer up here.
I am doin my trim and the rest of my car. The rest of my car is going to be gloss though.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Registered Enthusiast

IusetheDip Pictures

Here's the pics guys:
1999 TL

2007 TSX

2006 Civic

2000 SI

PM ME if you're interested
Old 02-12-2013, 01:15 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
whats the point of plastidipping the roof and trunk if the car is already black??????

and anyone can plastidip, Do i need to PM you everytime i plastidip something?
hamburglar490 (02-13-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 01:17 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,014 Likes on 14,518 Posts
plasti dip ON the muffler...I wonder how it'll hold up.
I don't like the look, personally...but kudos on perfecting technique...some of those pictures of your car actually look pretty darn good/smooth.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:18 PM
Senior Moderator

cooler temps, not cold Thin works too but you have to be careful that you dont get the tiger striping or rough, dry texture.

What do you mean do i have any results? Yea i have done it and had it turn out smooth. i dont have any pictures though. Ive got plenty of pictures of cars and car parts ive painted with paint though
Old 02-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Registered Enthusiast

Originally Posted by justnspace
whats the point of plastidipping the roof and trunk if the car is already black??????

and anyone can plastidip, Do i need to PM you everytime i plastidip something?
The point of plasti dipping is to change the look. Plasti dip has a different texture and color than the oem color of the cars. Same goes for anybody that wants to wrap their cars or paint them. That should be a given.

Yes, anyone can plasti dip. You don't need to pm me for anything, but you're more than welcome to if you like
Old 02-12-2013, 01:24 PM
Registered Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rockstar143
plasti dip ON the muffler...I wonder how it'll hold up.
I don't like the look, personally...but kudos on perfecting technique...some of those pictures of your car actually look pretty darn good/smooth.
Well it says up to 300 degrees, so we will see haha

Thanks for the props!
Old 02-12-2013, 02:04 PM
MechEng

cooler temps, not cold Thin works too but you have to be careful that you dont get the tiger striping or rough, dry texture.

What do you mean do i have any results? Yea i have done it and had it turn out smooth. i dont have any pictures though. Ive got plenty of pictures of cars and car parts ive painted with paint though

I meant did you have any pictures of a large flat surface that you painted with a plasti dip can W/O the tiger striping. Because if it can be done I'd like to see it.The OP's jobs still have tiger striping. I know you have painted a ton of stuff, but with paint it can be sanded and evened out.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:57 PM
Registered Enthusiast

I meant did you have any pictures of a large flat surface that you painted with a plasti dip can W/O the tiger striping. Because if it can be done I'd like to see it.The OP's jobs still have tiger striping. I know you have painted a ton of stuff, but with paint it can be sanded and evened out.
You can do it with cans and a paint sprayer.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:45 PM
R2D
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
dont really like the way it looks.. as long as you like it thats all that matters.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:13 PM
MechEng

You can do it with cans and a paint sprayer.
I know that, but I have yet to see a plasti dip can job on a large surface with no tiger striping.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:24 PM
Registered Enthusiast

Originally Posted by R2D
dont really like the way it looks.. as long as you like it thats all that matters.
Hater. Haha just kidding man. I really wasn't into flat black myself. I decided to try it out and I love it. More colors, different finishes, and rims coming soon! Wait till you see the gloss. I think you'll like that one. I'll convert you to Plasti Dip, watch.

I know that, but I have yet to see a plasti dip can job on a large surface with no tiger striping.
I'll do one just for you. It's really cold right now though. But I'll show you it can be done.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:34 PM
Senior Moderator

You cant sand out tiger striping with paint either. Ive done a few larger surfaces that were flat with great results from plasti dip in a can, i dont have pics though. it was done on our last ice racer. I even painted a car with spray cans once and it turned out better than a macco paint job. The new spray tips on the plastidip cans help spray better too.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Do you have update pic of Roof Top in day light?
I did do my roof few months ago but, got tiger striping so i just took it off. The only thing I kept plasti di black my rear roof spoiler.

You should try buying Spray kit will make big different. Keep up DIY thing an plasti di work
Old 02-12-2013, 08:01 PM
MechEng

You cant sand out tiger striping with paint either. Ive done a few larger surfaces that were flat with great results from plasti dip in a can, i dont have pics though. it was done on our last ice racer. I even painted a car with spray cans once and it turned out better than a macco paint job. The new spray tips on the plastidip cans help spray better too.
I see. I haven't bought plasti dip in like 6 months so I haven't used the new cans yet. Maybe I'll buy a can soon. I have to repaint my calipers black. I had red plastidip on them before but now that my car is stock, it just looks silly.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:21 PM
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 195 Posts
i find plastidipping a whole car like that is ridiculous and ugly.
flat colors+glossy colors= no no
Old 02-12-2013, 10:03 PM
Registered Enthusiast

I'm actually going to attempt to do the rest of my car in gloss black Plasti Dip with the spray and the new nozzles. I think it will come out fine. I just have a couple dings I need repaired first.

Originally Posted by AznWay
Do you have update pic of Roof Top in day light?
I did do my roof few months ago but, got tiger striping so i just took it off. The only thing I kept plasti di black my rear roof spoiler.

You should try buying Spray kit will make big different. Keep up DIY thing an plasti di work
here you go:
http://youtu.be/6AyWIb0RsT4

I see. I haven't bought plasti dip in like 6 months so I haven't used the new cans yet. Maybe I'll buy a can soon. I have to repaint my calipers black. I had red plastidip on them before but now that my car is stock, it just looks silly.
Plasti Dip held up nicely on the calipers? I'm getting ready to buy the Legend calipers and I wanted to paint them before switching them on.

Originally Posted by HairyMonkey019
i find plastidipping a whole car like that is ridiculous and ugly.
flat colors+glossy colors= no no
Haters gonna hate
Old 02-12-2013, 10:46 PM
MechEng

Plasti Dip held up nicely on the calipers? I'm getting ready to buy the Legend calipers and I wanted to paint them before switching them on.
Yup it's perfect for calipers. It looks as good as the day I sprayed it. I didn't even clean off the caliper before dipping it either lol. Way better than that crappy duplicolor caliper kit which flakes off after 6 months or so.
emaka9 (02-12-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 11:33 PM
Registered Enthusiast

Yup it's perfect for calipers. It looks as good as the day I sprayed it. I didn't even clean off the caliper before dipping it either lol. Way better than that crappy duplicolor caliper kit which flakes off after 6 months or so.
Wow I'm so glad you told me that! I almost bought that dupli color because I wasn't sure about the Plasti Dip in such a "rough" area. (Since there's a lot of heat and exposure to debris) Definitely Plasti Dippin my Legend calipers!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:18 AM
MechEng

Yeah they have been through two or three major snow storms, tons of rain and salt, stop and go traffic (braking from 50-10 a LOT), and even a few brake services and there's no peeling or discoloration. You can even use it on your brake rotor hubs if they are rusting.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:09 AM
Senior Moderator

As long as you dont do a lot of spirited drives or auto-x or lapping days. Last time i went out my rotors were as red as red gets and my pads were on fire Plastidip wouldnt hold up to that
Old 02-13-2013, 11:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Im thinking of spraying my iceracer to look like this.

I see they make it in a spray can now, i might buy a bunch of cans and spray it with rattle cans just to show it can.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 205 Likes on 180 Posts
Don't forget to weld the doors closed!
Old 02-13-2013, 12:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MilwaukeeDave
Don't forget to weld the doors closed!
Nah, i like doors to work. (especially when wearing a helmet and driving on a frozen lake)

Quick Reply: My 99 TL and Plasti Dip