Mushy brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 10:10 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mushy brake pedal

after changing my front brake pads new ceramic i have never used before my brake pedal felt a little soft so i bled the whole brake system which made it feel a little better but the brakes still dont have the same feel i have to hold the pedal down farther and during an emergecy stop i had to push the pedal ALL the way to the floor (which i have never had to do before) and no ABS like before and i barely stopped in time...what the hell is wrong with my brakes?
Old 07-24-2006, 10:17 AM
I=X - optomos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Make sure your lines are closed tight. Did you let your master cylinder run out of brake fluid at any time? You might also have to bleed them more if a lot of air entered the system.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:19 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by optomos
Make sure your lines are closed tight. Did you let your master cylinder run out of brake fluid at any time? You might also have to bleed them more if a lot of air entered the system.
i bled and just about flushed all of the old fluid out...a friend told me that it may just be the ceramic pads need to be broken in but damn i have never had brakes that have made me push the pedal down that far
Old 07-24-2006, 12:46 PM
I=X - optomos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ceramic or not, its not normal for your pedal to travel that far.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Some people mention the brakes feeling a little softer after changing the brakes. I did mine over 2 different weekends (swapped rotors + pads). I also opened up the brake fluid reservoir before pushing back the brake piston with a clamp then closed the reservoir right away (to prevent moisture from the air to contaminate the brake fluid). I pumped the brakes a couple of times before starting my car and the brakes feel just as good as before doing the brake job.

I wonder if you introduced air into your system. Double-check what the brake fluid level is at in the reservoir. Is it too low? I'm sure you did things right but double-check you don't have a small leak somewhere. Brake fluid feels slippery and doesn't have a colour (maybe I'm colour-blind?) unless really contaminated with water.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:25 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is possible that you have defective brake pads(happen to my brothers civic once) or your master cylinder is gone, but since it doesn't go to the floor all the time, I suggest a recheck of your brakes.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:48 PM
Don't jive my 3.5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just changed my breaks on my 2005 TL with 23k miles! same thing happened on my 2002 TL Type S...Acura Breaks are crap! so this time I decided to change it all, I did high performance sloted rotors and breaks. so much better!!!! I also changed the tires to pirellis the car is too powerful for thoses stock bridgestones they use, plus the bridgestones are summer tires they suck in the snow! try axis Brakes and pads and pirelli pzero's what good is all that power under the hood if the car doesn't have the stopping or handling power.