More oil change questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 06:58 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question More oil change questions

Hello fellow TL'ers. I have a '03 TL-S with 5200 miles. I had the oil changed at 3800 miles by the dealer. I told the mechanic that I wanted to switch to Mobil 1 synthetic oil for the next oil change. He told me that he didn't recommend that I do that because he said that the seals in the car wouldn't seal properly. He said that I should wait till 20,000 miles before I switch to full synthetic oil. So is he telling the truth or jerking me around? What do u people think? Also, for those who have used the Rhino ramps to change their oil, have u had any problems with them? Such as rubbing problems with the body of the car. (I don't wanna scratch my baby.) And is it safe to use these ramps if I plan to use them on an incline? I have a driveway and was wondering if it was safe to use ramps on my car even if the ground wasn't level. I also plan to use wheel chocks when I use the ramps. Any help with these questions will be appreciated. Thanks everyone.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:45 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think he's full of it. In 400 more miles I will switch to M1 5w-30 and KN Oil Filter. A lot of ppl have switched to M1 and there hasn't been a report of seals leaking.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:52 PM
Oracle Apps/Database Dude

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I have Mobil1 full synthetic and started using it after my car hits 15,000. It has 38K miles now. I also have Rhino ramps. they are fine. btw I have under body kit and my car is not lowered. No scratching.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:13 PM
Instructor

I run full synthetic only because it lasts longer. I usually go 10K between changes and have pretty clean oil. Cars such as BMWs which run full synthetic from the factory, actually calculate oil changes based on starts, driving conditions, etc., and most are between 12000 and 15000 miles. So I figure 10K is OK
Old 11-20-2003, 09:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

now wait...

i read that these synthetic oil manufacturers are under suit for false claims..

i think i can find documentation..
Old 11-20-2003, 11:07 PM
Pro

Go to BobistheOilGuy website forums and do some reading on Mobil1. They are a PAO based oil (closer to a true synthetic)rather than a highly refined dino. So they are in a Group IV class where most other synthetics are Group III or highly refined dino oils. You want quality synthetics use Mobil1, Amsoil, Redline or German Castrol (look for the Made in Germany on the back). America Castrol Syntec is a Group III oil. Manufacturers under suit for false claims are those in the Group III category but I dont' know what happened to the suit.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:00 AM
FTM
Instructor

Okay when I took a class last month with Pat Goss from the nation TV show MOTOR WEEK. This same question was asked by people & we spent a little time on it. Pat said that you can change to synthetic oil anytime you wan't. It does not matter what miles are on the car. He said the Corvetts & the BENZ coupe like he has came from the factory with it. Pat Goss is like GOD when it comes to cars. He said you can change to synthetic on your fist oil change or anytime you wan't. I think he should know well about this. Not many mechanics have there own TV show & 3hour radio show along with a garage segment on a national TV show & also has 49 auto techs under his supervision & runs his own garage with the latest high tech equipment that most dealers & shops don't have. He also maneges a large FORD dealers shop that is next door to his shop. The only time you would not change to synthetic oil is if your car burns oil or is leaking oil. The synthetic oil will not cause leakes but if you already have a leak you might notice it more with synthetic oil.
So looks like that person was a butt or did not know.
There is also that myth that you can go longer between oil changes with synthetic. this is not true at all you change it just like the normal oil in your car. It realy depends on how you drive your car also. If you do almost all highway drivng then you could go longer between changes. He said that you would need to drve the car like everyday giong 55mph & up for at least 40 mins with only stopping for a few redlights. If you did not do this type of driving you should get it done sooner. So the synthetic oil lasting longer is a myth. But synthetic is better for the car & you can change it whenever. He said if the car is brand new don't go changing the oil when you first get the car but when its do for its first oil change. My ACURA service advisor said also that you need to change the synthetic oil just like the regular oil. So 4,000 & 5,000 miles intervals are good if you change it liker this.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:13 AM

What have people heard of Valvoline SuperSyn..
Old 11-21-2003, 09:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally posted by FTM
Okay when I took a class last month with Pat Goss from the nation TV show MOTOR WEEK. This same question was asked by people & we spent a little time on it. Pat said that you can change to synthetic oil anytime you wan't. It does not matter what miles are on the car. He said the Corvetts & the BENZ coupe like he has came from the factory with it. Pat Goss is like GOD when it comes to cars. He said you can change to synthetic on your fist oil change or anytime you wan't. I think he should know well about this. Not many mechanics have there own TV show & 3hour radio show along with a garage segment on a national TV show & also has 49 auto techs under his supervision & runs his own garage with the latest high tech equipment that most dealers & shops don't have. He also maneges a large FORD dealers shop that is next door to his shop. The only time you would not change to synthetic oil is if your car burns oil or is leaking oil. The synthetic oil will not cause leakes but if you already have a leak you might notice it more with synthetic oil.
So looks like that person was a butt or did not know.
There is also that myth that you can go longer between oil changes with synthetic. this is not true at all you change it just like the normal oil in your car. It realy depends on how you drive your car also. If you do almost all highway drivng then you could go longer between changes. He said that you would need to drve the car like everyday giong 55mph & up for at least 40 mins with only stopping for a few redlights. If you did not do this type of driving you should get it done sooner. So the synthetic oil lasting longer is a myth. But synthetic is better for the car & you can change it whenever. He said if the car is brand new don't go changing the oil when you first get the car but when its do for its first oil change. My ACURA service advisor said also that you need to change the synthetic oil just like the regular oil. So 4,000 & 5,000 miles intervals are good if you change it liker this.
i dont have alot of faith in what that guy says. ive heard alot of B.S nonsense come out of his mouth also. but back to the subject. on a engine that wasnt designed for synthetic from the get go i would wait a few oil changes to let the seals and engine fully break in (1-3 oil changes). then i would switch to synthetic, as far as going longer on it between oil changes? that really comes down to the driving style. i personally go a little longer between oil changes (every 2 months-8k miles, compared to every month 4k) when i drain the oil at 8k it looks better than conventional oil at 3k. and on my next oil change im going to send some off to be tested.