Moonroof rattles again! After fix! What dealer said.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 09:44 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Moonroof rattles again! After fix! What dealer said.

Okay I'm pissed. Overall the build quality on my 03 TL-S is not close to my 2002 Honda Odyssey. I've had the car for five months and took it to the dealer the other day for its first oil change and a LONG list of quality/fit finish repairs.

But the thing that pisses me off if this. They used the tape to fix (ha ha) the sunroof. It's quiet for four or five days and then the rattling starts again. Now the damn thing is as loud, or louder than it was before. I paid $30k for this goddamn car and the freakin' thing shouldn't rattle at all. Hell my old Accord was built better and that was built in Ohio, so what is the problem!

And here's the kicker. When I gave the service guy my list he looked very surprised and (of course) had to tell me how unusual this is (sure!!!). He also said that TLs are built in good old USA and a few quirks should be EXPECTED! "This wouldn't be the case with an RL, which is built in Japan." Those were his exact words.:wow:

So, anyway I'm beginning to regret by $30k purchase. Why are there so many issues with this car that has been around for five years!?
Old 02-10-2003, 10:19 AM
Pro

man that bites...i got the tape put on once at the 1st servicing and it's been quiet. but now i'm noticing a bit of a rattle coming from the front passenger window. similiar to the moonroof issue...i open the window, even a tiny crack, and the sound goes away. i close it and it's back. it's starting to get on my nerves. anyone else with that issue? it really sucks that i just finished my 2nd servicing 2 weeks back and i forgot to mention it and it's a 45mins drive to the dealership. i also needed to have a defective speaker replaced.
Old 02-10-2003, 02:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rattle all over the place if you listen to them.
best to turn up the music.

i know what u saying, paying 30+k for a car and get rattles after a month or so.
Old 02-10-2003, 02:31 PM
Advanced

Angry

I am totally disappointed with my 02 TL-S. The overall quality is poor and the service is the worst of any car I have owned!!! Even the district office gives no satisfaction. It sounds like we have all been through the same group of troubles. I will never own let alone reccommend an Acura product. I cannot believe the quality difference between Toyota and Honda.
Kent
Old 02-10-2003, 02:35 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by kgoessling
I am totally disappointed with my 02 TL-S. The overall quality is poor and the service is the worst of any car I have owned!!! Even the district office gives no satisfaction. It sounds like we have all been through the same group of troubles. I will never own let alone reccommend an Acura product. I cannot believe the quality difference between Toyota and Honda.
Kent
all cars have little problems like that here and there.
And the service is totally depends where you live and where you go for it.
My service been great!
Old 02-12-2003, 12:22 PM
Racer

Originally posted by this is me

all cars have little problems like that here and there.
And the service is totally depends where you live and where you go for it.
My service been great!

I am one to agree--we hear nightmarish stories about transmissions, and these are not dreams but a reality to the small percentage that have them, but I've owned my TL-S for 16 months and my only complaint is it doesn't hit warp speed.
Seriously, this is a pretty good ride for 30 grand, IMHO.
Old 02-13-2003, 05:31 PM
Advanced

Up my way (springfield Acura) is nothing but the best..... to bad I cant say that about my sunroof, but hey they fixed it with some tape and hell i havent heard the rattling again.
Old 02-14-2003, 10:42 AM
Lew
Instructor

every car has some build quality issues
personally, i don't regret spending 32K on my car
this is a perfect platform for modification and continued perfection to my own standards
that's how i look at it

anwyays, the moonroof problem is easy to fix
i don't know about using tape, but the squeaks happen because the rubber lining on the moonroof gets dry
just crack open your moonroof and use a towel to coat it with some silicone lubricant or leather/silicone conditioner
doesn't take more than 5 minutes
you don't need a crazy dealer for that little thing
Old 02-14-2003, 11:11 AM
JD7
Rizzie's the color!

Im getting my 03 Type s serviced today for the second time and i have a little list aswell, for one my passenger side air bag off light will come one randomly, and rattles everywhere.
Old 02-14-2003, 12:01 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Maybe I'm just lucky ... but I have about 7700 miles on my car right now, and I haven't heard any rattles on my car at all. Because I'm so paranoid about it, sometimes I turn the radio off and just drive in silence to listen to rattles and I don't hear any...

The only problem I've had so far with the car is a little bit of bubbling on the driver's sea from using the heated seats. Its not too bad so far though so I think I'm just going to not use the heated seat feature anymore...

*knocks on wood* hopefully I won't gain any rattles in the next few months.

BTW- I usually play my music really loud, loud enough that the subwoofer shakes my rear view mirror ... I would imagine that if anything were to start rattling, the bass would really set it off. But that hasn't been the case so far. Maybe my car was built on a day where the Quality Control people were hawking over the assembly line or something
Old 02-14-2003, 12:52 PM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
ROFL-Built on inspection day!
I've had little to no complaints as well. Even with larger wheels, profiles, and upgrades, the rattles have been largely absent and I'm freakin' anal about that stuff...
Sounds like you guys got some bad seeds, but not are all that way.
I have to agree though--this car has NO WHERE NEAR the build quality of Toyota. I've had Toyota's all my life and they are more solid all the way around. More pricey and a lot slower to boot. I'll trade a rattle every now and then and "tinny" sounding door closing for the speed, handling, features and price of my TL-S anyday!
Old 02-14-2003, 01:15 PM
Racer

I’ve taken mine in for the moon rattle and seatbelt rattle but that’s it. I don’t think people realize that the reason these rattles are so annoying is that the TL is VERY quite. Its still SHOCKINGLY quite. Roll your window down at 70MPH and you realize how quite the car is. I hate to even open up my moon roof because I’ve grown so accustom to how quite the car is that its to loud! Most of our rattles exist on every other car but you cant hear them over normal road noise. Hell, My S2000 rattled all over the place but I hardly heard them over the stereo, wind noise and engine noise. If I had those in my TL.. It would drive me nuts.

The fields not greener on the other side… If you buy any other $30K car, you’ll probably get more rattles in different places.

Come on think about it, your rolling a 3500 pound object made of probably 5000 parts on what amounts to rocks (road).. and you don’t think the forces of physics aren’t gong to break that object down and stress certain weaker areas?

Every car will suffer this, especially as it ages.

I dont blame the moonroof from rattling, every moonroof I have ever owned has rattled Its a weak spot on any car for this to happen.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:38 PM
Racer

Wow people on this forum can't take anyone complaining about the lack of quality Acura has. Stop saying "all cars have this problem" because they don't. Some do but most don't. The Acura TL-s is an average car that we pay a little too much for with all of the little things that go wrong. I for one would have paid 25% more for a higher quality brand. Sorry for all you ricers out there, but it is a fact.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:51 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by nickchop
Wow people on this forum can't take anyone complaining about the lack of quality Acura has. Stop saying "all cars have this problem" because they don't. Some do but most don't. The Acura TL-s is an average car that we pay a little too much for with all of the little things that go wrong. I for one would have paid 25% more for a higher quality brand. Sorry for all you ricers out there, but it is a fact.
nickchop-

If you would have paid 25% more for a higher quality brand, then why didn't you? I'm sure you would have been very happy in the Lexus, or Infinity camp rather than stuck with a "ricer" Acura...

If you think that you paid too much for the Acura, then you shouldn't have bought it in the first place. Perhaps you would have been happier spending an extra $10K for a 330i ... And while I personally can't comment on rattles in a BMW or other car brand, I'm sure other car manufacturers have their share of rattling problems. It may be that BMW or Lexus has a lower percentage than Acura ... but there is no way you can state that there are other car manufacturers that don't have this problem at all. Thats like saying that XX car brand has a 100% reliability and never breaks down.

I see the TL-S as a priced to sell car ... If you look at the amount of features that the car has, it is priced to be a best value for your dollar car... It isn't overpriced in my opinion at all.

Me? I'm perfectly happy with my purchase ... But maybe you need to start looking at selling yours and getting one of those other brands that don't have rattles
Old 02-14-2003, 03:06 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by LiQiCE

nickchop-

If you would have paid 25% more for a higher quality brand, then why didn't you? I'm sure you would have been very happy in the Lexus, or Infinity camp rather than stuck with a "ricer" Acura...

If you think that you paid too much for the Acura, then you shouldn't have bought it in the first place. Perhaps you would have been happier spending an extra $10K for a 330i ... And while I personally can't comment on rattles in a BMW or other car brand, I'm sure other car manufacturers have their share of rattling problems. It may be that BMW or Lexus has a lower percentage than Acura ... but there is no way you can state that there are other car manufacturers that don't have this problem at all. Thats like saying that XX car brand has a 100% reliability and never breaks down.

I see the TL-S as a priced to sell car ... If you look at the amount of features that the car has, it is priced to be a best value for your dollar car... It isn't overpriced in my opinion at all.

Me? I'm perfectly happy with my purchase ... But maybe you need to start looking at selling yours and getting one of those other brands that don't have rattles
totally agree!
Old 02-14-2003, 04:23 PM
Racer

You help make my point! Had I known Acura makes a squeaky TLs, I would have paid more and bought a superior luxury car. The money was a small issue, I've had more expensive cars. My wife has a fleet Grand Prix with less rattles. To say that Acura is a luxury or near luxury auto manufacturer is a joke. Regarding a new car, I'm hanging in there with the squeaks and rattles till the Fall. There are several sedans, crossovers and suv's that I'm interested in. BTW I'm not looking for flames, although this topic might attract them.

nickchop-

Old 02-14-2003, 05:36 PM
Racer

Had I known Acura makes a squeaky TLs, I would have paid more and bought a superior luxury car. The money was a small issue, I've had more expensive cars. My wife has a fleet Grand Prix with less rattles. There are several sedans, crossovers and suv's that I'm interested in. BTW I'm not looking for flames, although this topic might attract them.

Saying GM cars have a few rattles is like saying Imelda Marcos has a few shoes.
Spend the extra money for your BMW or Maybach or whatever, but the majority of us folks here are pleased with the combination of price to performance/luxury ratio we get with our TL's.
Old 02-14-2003, 06:40 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Just got back from the dealer on some of my rattles. They did the sunroof TSB and that got rid of some of it. The big culprit of my rattles was a loose/cross treaded bolt that holds the sunroof rails to the body. Got that done and it's back quiet again.

Sometimes patience and working with the dealer/mechanics pays off.
Old 02-15-2003, 12:59 AM
Racer

Sorry, I think your completely and uttrly wrong and owners like you are the type that will never be happy with any car if you are not happy with the TL.
Old 02-15-2003, 03:16 AM
HU
Instructor

Originally posted by dee diddy
man that bites...i got the tape put on once at the 1st servicing and it's been quiet. but now i'm noticing a bit of a rattle coming from the front passenger window. similiar to the moonroof issue...i open the window, even a tiny crack, and the sound goes away. i close it and it's back. it's starting to get on my nerves. anyone else with that issue? it really sucks that i just finished my 2nd servicing 2 weeks back and i forgot to mention it and it's a 45mins drive to the dealership. i also needed to have a defective speaker replaced.
I have this issue too. Although it is with the rear driver side window. I open it a bit and it goes away. But it happens quite often. I asked the dealer to check it out. They tried something but it didn't work. I need to go back for servicing soon so I will ask them to look at it again. Let me know if you find out what it is.
Old 02-15-2003, 12:32 PM
Drifting

i have squeks in my sunroof visor and in the back... but it usally dont bother me since i have my music blasting ne way. but the times i wanna hear my exhuast witout the music the sqeaks drive me nuts. im gonna bring it to the dealer in about 1500 miles. what do i say to the service guy? i have sweaks all over the place can u fix it?
Old 02-15-2003, 12:46 PM
Pro

Originally posted by HU

I have this issue too. Although it is with the rear driver side window. I open it a bit and it goes away. But it happens quite often. I asked the dealer to check it out. They tried something but it didn't work. I need to go back for servicing soon so I will ask them to look at it again. Let me know if you find out what it is.
well i live in westside van but my dealership is lougheed acura...really sux having to drive all the way back. last servicing i had to make 3 trips for different issues and waiting for parts to be ordered. i dunno...maybe i'll wait a little longer otherwise they'll think i'm so nagging and i don't wanna go to another dealership who's never dealt with me. where did you buy your car? have you had your first 2 free servicings yet?
Old 02-15-2003, 12:59 PM
Pro

Originally posted by got_3.2?
i have squeks in my sunroof visor and in the back... but it usally dont bother me since i have my music blasting ne way. but the times i wanna hear my exhuast witout the music the sqeaks drive me nuts. im gonna bring it to the dealer in about 1500 miles. what do i say to the service guy? i have sweaks all over the place can u fix it?
yeah that's what i told them and they were prompt in taking care of it. annoying thing is the car is making a new noise:banghead:
Old 02-15-2003, 02:35 PM
HU
Instructor

Originally posted by dee diddy

well i live in westside van but my dealership is lougheed acura...really sux having to drive all the way back. last servicing i had to make 3 trips for different issues and waiting for parts to be ordered. i dunno...maybe i'll wait a little longer otherwise they'll think i'm so nagging and i don't wanna go to another dealership who's never dealt with me. where did you buy your car? have you had your first 2 free servicings yet?
Funny... I bought my car from Lougheed Acura as well. However, I have a 2000, so I am way past the 2 free servicings. I trust yours is a 2003? I asked them to fix noises, but they don't seem to be that good at it. I have asked about different noises and they don't seem to fix it. I need to look for where the noises are before I go in again as my 3yr warranty is over in October of this year. Let me know if you find anything. Thanks!
Old 02-16-2003, 02:50 AM
Racer

Originally posted by y2ks2k

Sorry, I think your completely and uttrly wrong and owners like you are the type that will never be happy with any car if you are not happy with the TL.
Since we know each other so well...you appear to be one of the people on this forum that can't take anyone complaining about the lack of quality Acura has.

It may have to do with a quality control problem at the Ohio plant. y2ks2k, I'm not complaining without a reason. Things have literally fallen off my car. Examples? My rear view mirror fell and hung from it's wire. The plastic top to the steering column popped off and fell on the floor while driving. The glove box opened and wouldn't shut. Twice the plastic buttons on the rear leather seat have popped off. (side note on this last one, amazingly they won't just replace the penny button they have to replace the entire leather cover!) And as this thread and many others here have stated, the TL-s has more squeaks than a railroad dog has fleas. These aren't imaginary, others hear them. The problem with these squeaks is the dealers can't fix them permanently. The only thing they can do is put electrical and plumbers tape or grease the inside fittings on the sunroof, seats, or inside the ac unit. Nothing will help for more than one or two weeks. This is a quality control problem. But, please someone flame in instead of providing a solution and say "turn up your radio".
Old 02-18-2003, 05:35 PM
2002 TL Type S

My Acura too has a rattle in the sunroof - depends on the weather though. Usually when it's warm outside...I can usually crack the sunroof and after a few minutes it goes away and I can lower it again. My parents had the same problem with their TL and they took theirs to the dealer to get fixed. Not sure if it helped since they sold it shortly after.

No Modifications
Kenny Brown Subframes
Eibach Pro Springs
Steeda Camber Plates
Baumann Shift Kit
3:73 Motorsport Gears
ADS Computer Chip
Motorsport Pulleys
1.5" Mach I Ram Air Hood
Flowmaster 2.5" Exhaust

Old 03-07-2003, 12:39 PM
Racer

Thought I'd give an update and a goodbye, this site has been very useful as a TL-s member over the last 18 months. Below was what I'd said a few weeks ago. I sort of include it to let everyone know I love Acura even with the few faults that they can't correct. I will no longer have squeaks, because I have traded it in for an '03 MDX Touring with Navi & DVD. It's soooo sweet. The TL's should have the opportunity to get the MDX navi. If you haven't seen it, go take a look. It's larger, clearer, has the voice command and most importantly it's several times faster.

PS, anyone know of a similar site dedicated to MDX owners?

Take care, Nick

You help make my point! Had I known Acura makes a squeaky TLs, I would have paid more and bought a superior luxury car. The money was a small issue, I've had more expensive cars. My wife has a fleet Grand Prix with less rattles. To say that Acura is a luxury or near luxury auto manufacturer is a joke. Regarding a new car, I'm hanging in there with the squeaks and rattles till the Fall. There are several sedans, crossovers and suv's that I'm interested in. BTW I'm not looking for flames, although this topic might attract them.

Old 03-07-2003, 02:18 PM
Instructor

http://www.acuramdx.org/
Old 03-07-2003, 02:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

nickchop-

i agree also my buddys past 3 cars bmw740i , audi, and now a lexus LS400 all had problems, and rattlesaccura is just as good as them, heck i think his lexus has more little quirks then my 2000 TL with 109000 miles
Old 03-07-2003, 02:37 PM
Racer

Doubt it. There are major quality control problems with the TL. The first of which is the tranny and then a laundry list of squeaks. Maybe yours doesn't have it, but many do.
Old 03-07-2003, 02:57 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Alright, call us whatever you will. Apparently we can't listen to anyone bad-mouthing Acura.

However, you sound like someone who is totally pissed and holding grudges against Acura.

I just bought my TL-S two months ago, and I'm pretty happy with it. There's a couple things wrong here and there, but I can live with it. I had a brand new Tahoe when I got my license, which was over 40 grand. It still had rattles. Plus the front wheel alignment was way off and had to go in for servicing FOUR times. Now, tell me if I, as an owner of a 40,000-dollar vehicle, have to go through that. Acura hasn't put me through any of that crap. When my brother got his new Eclipse GT on his 17th birthday, I thought it was a cool little car. 26-grand for a sports coupe was a little expensive, I thought, but I was sure it wouldn't give us trouble due to the high price. WRONG. It's been in service numerous times, and there are still a couple things wrong with the car that Mitsubishi can't fix. They deny it, but I know they have some design/engineering flaws, and can't be fixed unless you completely strip down the car. So they just say "Unable to duplicate problem", when it's evident around every corner, at every stop light, or every time you pop the trunk.

I live in a decent neighborhood, and my friends and their families drive nice cars -- Vette, BMW, MB, Audi, etc. They all have their own share of problems. Even Ferraris. ****, one guy had to shell out 15,000 dollars for a engine rebuild, with only 10,000 miles on the clock.

Nobody is perfect. No car is perfect, no matter how much you pay for it. I don't know about other TL's out there, but I'm pretty happy with my new TL-S, save for a weird hissing noise in the brake system. No rattles or squeaks, although I do get on the car pretty hard quite often. By the way, 3,000 miles on the odometer right now. The Tahoe and the Eclipse had given us so much trouble before they hit 3,000, it was ridiculous. Then there's my beater Intrepid, which I won't even go into, because it pisses me off just thinking about it.

As far as your mirror just falling off... What the hell were you doing? That doesn't just happen, unless you were one in a 10,000. Even Metro's don't have that problem. :p
Old 03-07-2003, 03:01 PM
Racer

Read my first post of today. I do not have an Acura Grudge, I just bought a fully loaded MDX. LOL with the mirror. I know it sounds like it's impossible, but there is a metal spring in there that gave out. Acura service says it happens infrequently.
Old 03-07-2003, 03:16 PM
...and then there was One

Nickchop, go check out the forums for those other cars you are talking about that cost 25% more than a TLS, and see what complaints those owners have.
Old 03-07-2003, 03:17 PM
Dragging knees in

I read that part about the MDX. How is it, anyway? My dad wants to get one, but is split between that and the upcoming Toureg w/ V8.
Old 03-07-2003, 03:22 PM
Instructor

I have to say I agree with Pure Adrenaline's post.....my bro sells BMW's at the only dealership in KC. I've driven their entire fleet! They're prone to problems....go to Edmunds town hall and read about tranny problems in the 2001-02 M3's...TL's aren't the only one's with tranny issues! Sure, that's a hand-built engine pushed to the limit, but that's also a SIXTY thousand dollar car.

My mum has a 2001 740IL....it has 11,000 miles on it. Since purchasing it we've fixed or replaced:

two completely dead spark plugs (it was driving as if it were a six cyl)
dead seat heater
stuck heating controls for the right rear passenger
blown tail light
delivered with a broken passenger vanity mirror (WTF!!!)
and
a faulty side airbag.

so much for paying for quality........but you know, I'm not knocking BMW's completely, I bloody love 'em! You just never know what problems you may have. My tranny finally gave in the other day but I have no squeaks or rattles My friends are always amazed at how quiet the car is......man, driving to Cali last month from Phx on I-10 doing about 100mph on smooth roads, I drove with the stereo off because I wanted to take in the quiet!

TL=serious bang for buck.......it helped I paid $6000 less than MSRP when I bought mine new .....let's just say I got lucky.
Old 03-07-2003, 03:27 PM
Racer

Originally posted by SimTypeS
Nickchop, go check out the forums for those other cars you are talking about that cost 25% more than a TLS, and see what complaints those owners have.
Why? I just bought an MDX.
Old 03-07-2003, 03:31 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Pure Adrenaline
I read that part about the MDX. How is it, anyway? My dad wants to get one, but is split between that and the upcoming Toureg w/ V8.
The VW V8 is going to rock. I've read a lot on the Touareg and it's really amazing. No offense to VW (although it can't be avoided!), but they appear to me the Ford of Europe. I just couldn't do it. Those who haven't seen it check it out on the online car magazine websites. It's really good lookin. Next year VW is coming up with a V10 diesel with 500 lbs of torque and may bring it stateside. Bottomline is I purchased a great vehicle with a great track record (and one more great) a great re-sale value.
Old 03-07-2003, 03:47 PM
Racer

One more thing on the VW. This was a real deal kill. The navigation is based on a CD Rom not a DVD.
Old 03-07-2003, 05:27 PM
...and then there was One

Why? I just bought an MDX.
Why? I know you have bought the MDX, but you were talking about how the TLS was lacking in fit and finish compared to other sedans in it's price range. It sounds like yours had prolems... more problems than others seem to have had. Why? I don't know. All I know is how I treat my car, and the ONLY problem mine has is the moonroof, and that seems to only rattle when I drive on cobblestone. Take a few minutes and check out those other sedans (respective forums) you were talking about that are 25% more than the TLS and see what problems they have.
Enjoy your MDX. Any plans for it? Supercharger? 20's?
Old 03-07-2003, 09:59 PM
Dragging knees in

My dad won't need navigation. He's the smartest guy I know with directions (and other things). Having two engineering degrees, he just takes everything in like a machine. It scares me sometimes.

Why do you say it's Ford of Europe?

With ride-height-adjustable suspension, 310-hp V8, awesome interior, good-looking exterior coupled with good fit and finish, I think it'll be a great car. My pops can save at least a few thousand dollars if he bought a GM car, because he has a lot of GM card earnings. But he's opting for the Toureg, or the MDX. He has a Tahoe right now, and he's not exactly happy with it.

Quick Reply: Moonroof rattles again! After fix! What dealer said.