MoM's friends car got Rammed by cops

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2001 | 07:08 PM
Suzuka Master

MoM's friends car got Rammed by cops

Well today my mom got home from work and told me that her manager's car got rammed by cops.
This is what happen.
She got a new gs430 and had 30day temp tags but it was ONEDAY expired so one a 45mph zone she was going 40mph and a cop decided to pull her over. Well her, never been pulled over didn't know he was pulling her over so she kept on going. Well after about 10min of being followed she got RAMMED by 3 cops and ended up on the side of the road. her 31 day old GS430 all mashed up by the cop car. She screams and comes out of the car horrifed, and then the 3 cops pull there gun and point at her to Freeze. she stops everything as she's in SHOCK. the cop then gets a translater since she couldn't understand what they were saying and told her she's lucky they didn't open fire at her.

Now she's in a rental car and the cops said its all her fault for ignoring the cops and running away.

I know its her fault but I think its kinda F'ed up
Old 09-27-2001 | 07:38 PM
Drifting

No offense, she deserved it. How can you not know that the cops are after you? How did she get her license in the first place, anyway? Too bad about the car though.
Old 09-27-2001 | 07:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

harsh... what a waste of such a nice car
Old 09-27-2001 | 07:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by thephantom
No offense, she deserved it. How can you not know that the cops are after you? How did she get her license in the first place, anyway? Too bad about the car though.
For reals I would have to agree 100%. When you get your license you know what to do when a cop is pulling you over. The fact that you do not pull over immediately let alone after 10 minutes says it all.
Old 09-27-2001 | 08:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm sorry, but I would have to agree. These are the ladies that would drive into your lane without knowing it. And if it just so happens they bash into you... "oooppss.. I didn't know you were there!" Probably also same kind of people open up their doors wide without looking at cars around them.
Old 09-27-2001 | 09:33 PM
Ex TL-S owner

I thinks that's really strange......how could you not notice that? It's funny that people can buy expensive cars, but they can't drive em. They might as well get a crappy car because it will look like crap after a couple of months owning it.
Old 09-27-2001 | 10:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

lol. she better learn when shes being pulled over because it sounds like its going to happen often

they should have at least cuffed her and threw her in the cop car for a couple hours. heh
Old 09-27-2001 | 10:48 PM
Race Director

Ideal world. In the real world, there are lots of non-drivers and folks who don't believe they need to pull over when the cops flash their lights, even if they did see the cops behind them. More than you'd know.
Old 09-27-2001 | 11:25 PM
Burning Brakes

she is definitely an idiot......but getting rammed by three cop cars after ten minutes. those cops need to stop watching too much television and she nees her liscense taken away.
Old 09-28-2001 | 12:05 AM
Race Director

You would be surprised by the numerous amount of drivers who will not yield to Fire, Ambulance, or Police with lights and sirens blasting!
Old 09-28-2001 | 12:59 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

What an idiot. It reminds me of this one time on the saw mill pkwy in NY, an old man was driving too slow and a county cop pulled up behind him and flashed his lights. The old man just kept driving. So 30 miles later the old man was on the floor with aknee in his back being locked up. He though the cop wanted him to drive faster, but he wasnt going to because he was scared of driving over 30.
Old 09-28-2001 | 01:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by kensteele
You would be surprised by the numerous amount of drivers who will not yield to Fire, Ambulance, or Police with lights and sirens blasting!
I hear that! I used to be a Reserve Fire Fighter and one time we were rollin code 3 in our engine and this lady cut us off in her accord. Needless to say she got the horn, we went around her and stared at her. There has got to be something we need to change about our drivers tests. Maybe require that you get a permit first, no matter what age. Then pass a more serious drivers exam.
Old 09-28-2001 | 01:51 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I smell a frickin' lawsuit against the county! The cops had no right ramming her off the road. She presented no harm or danger to the public. $h!t like this pisses me off....total abuse of power and authority. WTF?????
Old 09-28-2001 | 02:36 AM
j83
Pro

im sorry

but what is wrong with many of you?
are you hearing yourselves damn
what is this world coming too
ok so she didnt stop that doesnt make her dumb
obviously she just thought it wasnt her they were comin after
a-hole cops the fack is wrong with them.

"No offense, she deserved it."
who deserves to get violated like that? im sure if she was running from the cops she would speed up and doing those 100 mph chases obviously cops should of realized that she wasnt tryin to run.
Old 09-28-2001 | 07:59 AM
AC
Drifting

No offense, she deserved it? What if that was your mother? Would she have deserved it? Of course not cuz she's your mother and not this lady.
Old 09-28-2001 | 08:06 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Being from a family who have held numerous law enforcement positions she is damn lucky she was not shot. People these days seem to lack common sense. When you see lights and sirens in your mirror you should move to the right, if the cop passes, then he is on the way to a call, but if he follows you to the right you can bet he is pulling you over

Look at it from the cops perspective.....you go to pull over a women for expired tags, you engage your light and sirens and she doesn't respond. This goes on for 10 mins (which is a long time for someone refusing to pull over). They have to end this so they probably forced her over to the shoulder and in the process hit the car. I would hate to inform her but she is 100% liable for that damage. The police are doing their job. Just because someone isn't smart enough to know when they are being pulled over its not the police departments fault.

Now I do not know the full details of this but that is my perception of it (seen/heard it happen numerous times)

It is a shame to damage a brand new lexus but you gotta do what ya gotta do
Old 09-28-2001 | 08:14 AM
Intermediate

"Hey Lady, WHY DONT YOU LEARN HOW TO DRIVE!!!" -heard someone screaming that out the window.

Cops were very wrong to **** up a car like that, but HOW in the world do you not know that cops are pulling you over, its just mind-boggling?????????????????????????

It's very sad that she has this nice car, knows nothing about it, knows nothing about driving it, but as long as its says LEXUS on the front, she is as happy as a pig in ****. But hey, at least she is not driving a LEXUS SUV, or worse a suburban, jeez.
Old 09-28-2001 | 08:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Can't wait to hear what the insurance company says about it. "Well I ran from the cops and they had to ram me to get me to pull over. Can you fix this?"
Old 09-28-2001 | 08:18 AM
jbn
Instructor

Granted this lady was stupid for not puling over. Even if intially she thought she wasn't gettign pulled over, after 10 mins of the cop following you and not going around you think maybe he is after you. But that said, to ram her of the road is Fking ridiculous! Maybe send a crusier in front of her and trap her in. Pull up next to her and tell her to pull over. Follow her till she stops and then arrest her. These cops have been watching to much of FOX's wildest police chases!! Not mention they runined her car, But they just wasted 3 crusiers that the people of that city are paying for.
Old 09-28-2001 | 08:25 AM
Instructor

She definitely need to be more aware of what's going on on the road. Did this justify damaging a police car and the ladies car. I've seen the police pull up beside a person and even in front of them to get their attention to pull over. Raming the car in the side doesn't seem to have been the best solution in my opinion. And to say that she's lucky she didn't get shot, please tel me that was a joke.
Old 09-28-2001 | 08:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

We weren't there so obviously we don't know the exact circumstances, but I can't imagine how someone could be followed by a police car, presumably with lights and sirens wailing, for 10 minutes and NOT know they were being pulled over. Maybe ramming her wasn't the right answer (again, I wasn't there) but she certainly shouldn't be driving if she doesn't know how to handle a situation like this.
Old 09-28-2001 | 09:15 AM
Safety Car

Re: im sorry

Originally posted by j83
but what is wrong with many of you?
are you hearing yourselves damn
what is this world coming too
ok so she didnt stop that doesnt make her dumb
obviously she just thought it wasnt her they were comin after
a-hole cops the fack is wrong with them.

"No offense, she deserved it."
who deserves to get violated like that? im sure if she was running from the cops she would speed up and doing those 100 mph chases obviously cops should of realized that she wasnt tryin to run.
welllllllll then why didn't she pull over anyway?
Does she not know how to yield to law enforcement authorities?
Old 09-28-2001 | 09:29 AM
Stealthy A-CL Member

IMHO, anyone so oblivious to their surroundings as to not pull over, even just as a courtesy, to an emergency vehicle with flashing lights and sirens after ten minutes is at the very least a reckless driver and a danger to other motorists.

She should consider herself VERY lucky if she walks away from this with her license suspended minus collision deductible, fines/fees, court costs, additional driver training, community service and a lesson learned.
Old 09-28-2001 | 09:30 AM
Racer

Damn, I realy don't want to be rude, but who gave her licence to drive???!!!!! That's what it comes to now days. People that have no facking idea how to drive are driving Lexuses, BMWs and Benzos. The insurance company should do this lady a favor and take her licence away so that she will not harm herself or someone else in the future.
Old 09-28-2001 | 09:39 AM
Race Director

I guess I didn't want to go too far as to say "she didn't know she was being pulled over..." or "she deserved it..." or whatever. But what I was trying to say is simply a lot of people don't pull over for lights and sirens. It's a fact and the police just need to be aware of this. A lot, not some, a lot of people aren't going to stop right away or may just go ahead and go home or "I'm late for a presentation, I'm not stopping" or hundreds of reasons. But there is no reason to discharge your weapon at close range in an attempt to kill a person who failed to yield. At best, it's a ticket for the first time, not death. If you go home and go inside your home despite repeated calls from the police to pull over, not go inside, and you do anyway, you should get shot?

Here's the rules. Where does it say violators are subject to punishment [death]?

Most of us car enthusiasts are aware, law abiding, and respect the law. We know the rule and we follow them. Not everybody is like that, not even nearly everybody. Just because you feel it is the right thing to do, and it's fair, and just; that doesn't mean others see it the same way. The police have to know this. Here's an example (just an example): The Indonesian community has suffered in Minneapolis for harassment from local police and every traffic stop generally ends in an altercation. For years now, people have grown up and have been taught that if you stop for the police, chances are you're going to end up in serious trouble. Young man, 24, was afraid that night, he didn't even know he was not in greater Minneapolis, but in St. Paul where things are quite different. He decided not to stop because he was scared of the police. It happens. Not saying it's right. But it happens. A lot. The answer is not ramming or shooting. Especially if the perps are not criminals. Find another way.
Old 09-28-2001 | 10:49 AM
Honkey

$10 says those cops were willing to ram her after the first 5 mins, it probably just took them another 5 to work up the courage to damage such a beautiful new GS430.
Old 09-28-2001 | 10:54 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by AC
No offense, she deserved it? What if that was your mother? Would she have deserved it? Of course not cuz she's your mother and not this lady.
ABSOLUTELY!! If my morther failed to pull over then she should not have had her license in the first place.
Old 09-28-2001 | 11:21 AM
Advanced

Well... bumping into her car was pretty harsh. And she wasn't going very fast to begin with. Going 40 mph, I'm sure the cops could've pulled in front of her. I just hope she learns from this incident......
Old 09-28-2001 | 04:36 PM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

Too much speculating going on here.

You guys don't know if there was a cop beside her motioning her to pull over, or if they instructed her over the bullhorn to pull over.

Without being there and seeing what happened you are just guessing.

No matter how you slice it, she failed to yield to an emergency vehicle, and if she failed to yield for 10 minutes than she definitely has "issues".

That in itself is worthy of a ticket regardless of whether or not her temporary tags were expired. For all we know the cop might have just pulled her over to let her know her tags were expired and to get her plates ASAP.
Old 09-28-2001 | 05:40 PM
Drifting

For all the cops know, she could have been on PCP or under the influence of some sort.
Old 09-28-2001 | 08:15 PM
j83
Pro

:p
Old 09-28-2001 | 11:49 PM
Pro

Cops couldn't pull up beside her, or get in front of her, obviously she probably wasn't trying to get away but just kept driving...rammed off the road, could have been hurt...killed...scared to death...comes out of car screaming, hysterical.....GUNS staring at her......BAM!

She should have known, of course...imagine the headline and lawsuit....."Cops plead innocence for wrongfully shooting driver to death. Woman leaves behind children..." "Your honor, she wouldn't stop, just kept on driving....she also had expired tag, she should have known....she shouldn't have done that....i have other cops to back me up....she shouldn't have...how could she have been driving? "
Old 09-29-2001 | 02:49 AM
Burning Brakes

All I know is that Emergency Vehicles have all rights to the road when they are going Code 3(lights and sirens) Everyone is supposed to yield! Thats what it says in your drivers manual! I can't imagine if she was infront of a Fire Engine for 10 minutes and didn't yield, or infront of an ambulance. I just don't understand!

To those people who oppose what do you think she would do if she saw flashing lights on a bus? Do the same thing and not stop. Then your 6 year old kid crosses the road and gets hit at 40 mph!?!? Damn 4000lbs traveling at 40mph sure is a dangerous weapong in my opinion.

Also who knows how bad her car got damaged? Maybe it was not that bad. Then again maybe it did. I doubt that it is totalled or anything like that. She probably got a little bump...maybe a little harder or something but nothing extreme.

My $0.02
Old 09-29-2001 | 03:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Oh First of all after speaking w/ her again, she said the COP ONLY HAD LIGHTS ON, NO SIREN.
She explains this is why she didn't stop.

okay I know its her fault for not knowing the law but she has a hard time speaking english. Also at the DMV they let people who can't speak english take exams w/ translators. She also wasn't aware of having to yield even tho its a given. For 90% of the people who responded knows that you are sopose to yeild to a emergency cop/ambulance. but alot of forgien people don't realize this as they might be custom to there law in there country.
The cops DID NOT pull up next to her and signal her to stop, and did not use the mic to call to her.
She DID NOT have any music on, WAS NOT speeding so she thought simply they were just trying to pass her.
For example if you go to a say some asain country where its against teh LAW to spit gum out on the street and you do, what will all the people who live there think?
"HMM, that idoit don't even know that its illegal, is he fooken stupid?"
Why?, cause they are custom to there laws and they grow up w/ it and stuff. you just gotta realize not everyone knows the law like in your perspectives,

Also her car DID get TOTALED. Her entire drivers side got smashed in, and so did the rear of her car. Enough for it to get towed and not drivable.

Ken and AC seems to be the few understanding from my perspective.
Old 09-29-2001 | 05:58 PM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

You need a permit/license to get a driver license which requires taking and passing a test to get it, which clearly lays out the DO's and DONT's of driving.

NO EXCUSE!!!!!!!!!!

If I need a license/permit to chew gum in an Asian country and I do spit it out on the street, then I deserve everyone of the 35 lashings I receive or whatever the punishment is.

Get my point?

So she F'd up and the cops over reacted.... case dismissed...

Old 09-30-2001 | 02:23 AM
Racer

Cops did not over reacted. I want to clarify some of the misperceptions.

1. Driving is a privelege and NOT a right. If you want to participate in driving, KNOW THE LAW and RULES. The rules are there for a reason, and for those that don't know not only pose a threat to others, they pose a threat to themselves.

2. Ignorance is not an excuse. As someone on this board already stated, that's what a learning permit is for. I can understand if you forget how many feet before a turn you have to signal whether it's 100 ft or 150 ft, but an emergency vehicle of any type??? Unacceptable not to know that one.

3. I understand the fact that different cultures grow up in different environments and that results in some misunderstandings between different cultures, but this is not a place for that example. If you drive in america, know the rules (especially the more important ones). If you drive in Korea, know the rules. If you drive in Germany, know the damn friggin rules. The rules are there for everyones' supposed saftey.

4. Now did the lady deserve to have her car rammed? Absolutely for many reasons.

a. she didn't learn all the rules the first time, let this be a hard lesson. some people have to learn it the hard way.

b. cops (i don't like defending them, but they are people just like you and me) have to deal with all kinds of people. Sure she didn't make a getaway attempt at 100mph, but the fact is, she didn't pull over and the cop has to be wondering WTF could be going on in her head. She might be hiding something, drugs, guns, bombs, or she could be looking to run someone over, etc etc. The cop probably did what he did to prevent a potential problem based on the fact that she did not respond to a normal protocol of pulling over to the right if you see lights and/or hear sirens.

c. Because the cop had to stop this vehicle, he had every right to protect himself by having his firearm drawn. Not pulling over is RESISTING ARREST which is damn serious in any form.

d. No, the cops couldn't have just pulled up in front of her or on the side. That's under the naive assumption that this is a harmless lady that doesn't know any better which honestly endagers peace officers that have a suspect resisting arrest. Had she had a gun, then by pulling to the side of the car, she could have fired and caused a death unnecessarily. We have the benefit of hind sight and the police office did NOT. I hardly doubt the family would have won that lawsuit as the office followed his training.

e. Another thing, she made mistake #2 by screaming out of her car hysterically. Another rule is not to approach an officer in that type of manner. A cop would rather protect themselves by any means and go to court than assume the susupect is innocent and harmless. If they always assumed the suspect was harmless, you wouldn't have law and order.

5. I don't want to argue of the validy of poice abuse etc because that is a known fact. But don't get it confused with the topic of this issue. My main point is that the poice did not use too much force. I stress again that to not pull over is resisting arrest and by ramming the suspect car off the road was probably a higher percentage of success at apprehending a suspect at that given time. Remember their is a certain amount of risk a cop takes if he pulls up alongside a car, especially one that is already resisting to pull over.

6. Like I said, I don't like to defend cops because a lot of people who are not aware of what cops have to go through and their training always gets upset. Then there are those people who get abused by cops that get upset. I don't dispute any of that. But there are a lot of good cops out there too who do their job and want to see their families afterwards also. If you see a cop do something that you don't quite understand, then YOU SHOULD GO ASK A COP why another cop would do something in that situation.

To end, i'll give you a very very common misperception of cops out there. For some reason, people out there always get pissed when a cop is speeding or goes through traffic lights that only turn on their lights and sirens for a quick second and turn them off and keep speeding away. 9/10 they are not on their way to donut shops. They usually get a call that they ahve to be in a certain place in a hurry, but not a code 3 hurry. You have to understand that lights and sirens cause other motorists to look and that can cause more potential accidents, so cops don't always use them. They know that drivers are hella stupid because they always rubber neck and $hit when in fact they should just pay attention to driving. So they don't always use their lights and sirens, but honestly they don't drive through red lights because they're impatient.

Sorry for the long post. I'm trying to clarify some misconceptions out there.
Old 09-30-2001 | 03:23 AM
Senior Moderator

First, If she's driving, she should know the rules of the road, Second, If she can't speak english STAY OFF THE ROAD!!
ED
Old 09-30-2001 | 07:52 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Shoofin'TL
First, If she's driving, she should know the rules of the road, Second, If she can't speak english STAY OFF THE ROAD!!
ED
Couldn't agree with you more.
Old 09-30-2001 | 06:51 PM
Instructor

i must use this pic again.

anywho, since i live in area of so cal with a lot of chinese people, they never stop or yield when there are cops, ambulances or firetrucks coming with sirens blaring. that's an observation, not being racist. i'm asian myself also.
Old 09-30-2001 | 08:42 PM
Race Director

Unfortunately I see a lot of comments in this post that while factually true, these comments are unrealistic. Like ymckoon's.

What about mgs333's comment, he says a lot of people don't yield to lights and sirens. Don't you think the police already know this too? So how do they react? Do they say "you know the rules...you get what you deserve?" No.

If a cops is a smart as people make them out to be, they will respond appropriately. I think cops are smart and they know that people don't stop and they handle matters from that point of view. I don't think they are dumb and say "well you know the law...so you get what you deserve, and I'm going to...[ram, shoot, force]."

I agree with "follow the rules", you know the law, etc. But what about common sense. And I agree with rules in principle but if I were a cop, I'm afraid I would have to know better than to have that mentality. Ok, maybe in Miami, LA, Detroit....how do cops handle things in Kansas or S. Dakota?

Again, I would think that some of you guys living in a diverse environment would be smart enough and flexible enough to understand and cope with the diversity in your area. And I mean diversity from this standpoint: how people feel about driving, driving habits, working with the police, etc. I know you are in your prime [age] and you value your driving record and you have a nice car and you believe in the driving rules and it's relatively easy to abide by the road rules and the letter of the law, and you would like for other drivers to do the same. But that is so unrealistic not matter how right it is.

What about this example. I'm only 3 miles from home, the cops have their lights on behind me, I'm going to choose to drive home before I talk to the cops. I've done nothing wrong, I know this, the cops must know this, I feel safer at home anyway. He'll follow me and I can clear this up in my front yard; my spouse will even come outside, s/he is at home now. Ok, we know this is not exactly the right thing to do, but it happens all the time. So what does the cops do: 1)ram, 2) shoot, 3)ram and then shoot, or 4) Follow for 3 miles make a traffic stop and issue all necessary citations to prevent this from happening again.

You guys really disturb me....turning this driving thing into criminal activity involving guns, etc. Driving and driving violations are strictly civil (or they are going in that direction) and violations should be treated as such unless the driver does things to change this. Failure to yield will never put someone behind bars, ever.

Quick Reply: MoM's friends car got Rammed by cops