Mods?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2001, 10:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mods?!?!

I'm thinking about a new exhuast for my TL, does anyone have or have heard the Comptech exhaust they have in the "Accessory"?
I want a new exhaust that adds hp, but not tooo much more noise.
Old 07-10-2001, 11:21 AM
Instructor

Re: Mods?!?!

Originally posted by evolaerok
I want a new exhaust that adds hp, but not tooo much more noise.
I don't think you can have one without the other. My main reasons for getting the Comptech exhaust were looks and sound, not the extra 3 hp. These pipes look awsome and add a nice growl. If anything, I wish they were louder!

The growl isn't noticable all the time. It is at its loudest when accelerating slowly from low RPMs. If you floor it you won't be able to hear it over the roar of the engine. The coolest thing about it is when you are pulling away from a toll booth and can hear the reverberation echo under the toll plaza canopy. Vrrroooom!!!
Old 07-10-2001, 11:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

You can do the comptech headers, you can get approx 30 hp gain with no change in engine noise level. I just did it and I love it.
Old 07-10-2001, 12:12 PM

How much does it cost to do the comptech headers and pick up the extra 30hp?
Old 07-10-2001, 12:28 PM
Instructor

ParkAveAcura dot com has a complete price list for Comptech parts/installation. The headers are $1,099.95/$220.00. The exhaust is $632.00/$50.00.

If your local dealer is going to rip you off on the parts, buy them from this site. The cost is about the same as Park Ave.
Old 07-10-2001, 09:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys!

I guess the main reason for not wanting my engine too loud is, well I'ma dad and I have a professional job. I don't want to have that "racer" look as it used to be when I was 16. No offence to all the others who like it, but it's just my preference....... and opinion.........
Old 07-11-2001, 09:06 AM
...and then there was One

My opinion is that there is no reason for a loud exhaust on a street car, and there should be a law on how loud it can be. To each his own, but when it is so loud it wakes people up, that's ri****ulous. For just 3hp?? Come on, you would feel more oomph if you took out your back seat.
I would say go with the headers, and install them yourself. One of the easiest installs you can do. For Hondas, headers are the most HP for the buck. Your tailpipes already look good, anyway. And if you don't want it loud, don't consider an cold-air intake.
Old 07-11-2001, 10:07 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by SimTypeS
My opinion is that there is no reason for a loud exhaust on a street car, and there should be a law on how loud it can be. To each his own, but when it is so loud it wakes people up, that's ri****ulous. For just 3hp?? Come on, you would feel more oomph if you took out your back seat.
I would say go with the headers, and install them yourself. One of the easiest installs you can do. For Hondas, headers are the most HP for the buck. Your tailpipes already look good, anyway. And if you don't want it loud, don't consider an cold-air intake.
I agree with you completely. I think the cars sound silly when I hear them growling or snarling or whatever people call it. Of course, I think it's even more silly to put advertisements on one's car like a giant NEUSPEED logo etc. I didn't pay 30K to be a driving billboard.

So you say headers are easy to install? They look intimidating. There's no welding involved? Is it a tight fit to get the headers into the engine compartment? Is there a lot of underbody work? (I'm nervous about working underneath cars, though I've changed many a clutch in my life.. still makes me respectful of working beneath a car on jackstands.)

Erik
Old 07-11-2001, 11:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

I agree to a point, my 5.0 pony with flowmaster exhaust had a growl I love, its not anything like some of the annoying 4 bangers running around with a 50 gallon barrel for an exhaust that sounds like flatulant pig with a bugle shoved up its a$$ or a mosquito on steriods...

If you want instructions, Comptech site has install instructions..
http://www.comptechusa.com/installat...ons/921052.pdf
Old 07-11-2001, 05:08 PM
...and then there was One

True, a V-8 musclecar does sound good with a throaty exhaust, even at idle. It's the dumb Civics and Neons and Eclipses I think are re****ulous.
If I remember right, the FAQ page has header install instructions on it. One person said it wasn't quite a perfect fit, but most say it isn't too hard (no welding), IF you can get your car up so you can work under it.
Old 07-12-2001, 11:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yep, matter of fact last night I was approaching a stop light when a guy in a civic with trash can exhaust , etc whipped it over in the the right lane at the red light which was clear of cars and I could hear him rev'ing it so I thought what they heck so I pulled in to the right lane behind him. He looked in his rear view and the rev'ing stopped and he didn't try to get in front of those in the left....go figure...
Old 07-12-2001, 11:44 AM
Burning Brakes

i only want a low hummm...when starting car..but i don't want too much loud noise..when taking off....which exhaust is better for this???

G
Old 07-12-2001, 12:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

I was thinking Comptech axle back was the way to go but then I thought someone posted something about an annoying drone while on long trips?? I listened to Vtecracer's axle back and from the outside it sounded pretty good, little more bass growl at lower RPM's and that was about it... Any of you with Comptech axle back exhaust have any input?
Old 07-13-2001, 03:47 PM
Bada Bing

I just installed them 4 days ago and I love them. The have a low rumble at idle and then taper off as you get into the higher RPMs. My brother was behind me and said it sounds like a stock Z-28 at idle. You will hear a constant roar at cruising highway speed (60mph, 2000 RPMs). If you were in the NY area I'd meet up with you so that you could hear them. Believe me they aren't that loud, my 300ZX is louder with the Stillen cat back exhaust.
Old 07-13-2001, 04:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks SlyTLS, I think I am going to go Comptech sways and Rims next (checkin out rims after work, might have new pic's tomorrow ) Maybe in the meantime we will get some more representation in the Northwest and I'll get a chance to hear them!