this might sound crazy.. but

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 10:58 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question this might sound crazy.. but

i'd like to get a comptech exhaust and paint all but the tips black. should i use, or rather, could i use a high temp spray paint? in the future i'd eventually want to take it off so i can sell it and get the Mugen twin-loop axle back. The reason why i'm asking is because i want to maintain a stock look.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:25 PM
Drifting

Re: this might sound crazy.. but

Originally posted by FRESHV6
i'd like to get a comptech exhaust and paint all but the tips black. should i use, or rather, could i use a high temp spray paint? in the future i'd eventually want to take it off so i can sell it and get the Mugen twin-loop axle back. The reason why i'm asking is because i want to maintain a stock look.
No your not crazy...people have done them already.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...mptech+exhaust

The pics aren't working...ask the Mod.
Old 06-13-2002, 07:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
I think he's talking about painting the cans black, not the Y pipe.

Dude that's crazy. You're gonna spend $500+ just to paint them and make them look stock. I'll paint my stock ones for you and sell them to you cheap.
Old 06-13-2002, 09:37 AM
Instructor

well, the overall purpose is to hide the fact that i even have an exhaust so painting the whole thing from the y-pipe down minus the tips is what i planned. i dont think what i would like to do is crazy at all, since i have no desire to show off my exhaust.. at least not yet. i'd like to make power to the wheels before flaunting big rims, a kit, and a loud exhaust.

people on the accordv6 forum have complained about minimal gains with the comptech. i dont know of any one else could really meet my needs though (small diameter tip and quiet sounding muffler) Anyone have suggestions besides a custom setup? I know some people swap out the Type S exhausts on their Accord, but how much better is it than ours? can't be a whole lot!

anyone heard of BPM? They make a lot of products for the WRX and previously the 2.5 RS which i was into a lot. anyway, i was wondering whether or not you've heard what the exhaust sounds like, and it sounds pretty damn cool. has anyone had experience with the Twister Mkii or Mkiii exhaust? I wonder if a custom setup with these would be a good idea, i'm sure they'd be a bit loud though. I have a sound clip on a stock 2.5 RS if anyone wants to hear it.

http://www.bpmsports.com/products/mufflers/index.htm
Old 06-13-2002, 12:14 PM
Mr. Self Destruct

I think painting the cans is a good idea and a clean look. Last thing I want someone seeing from behind me is two shiny silver cans. Black cans make the tips more noticable which is the effect I prefer.
I did this on my Civic back in the day and it came out really nice. Just use some hi-temp flat black paint for the best effect, IMO. Also, you might as well paint the Y pipe while you're in the painting mood. Keep it all looking clean.
Old 06-13-2002, 12:24 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by FRESHV6
well, the overall purpose is to hide the fact that i even have an exhaust so painting the whole thing from the y-pipe down minus the tips is what i planned. i dont think what i would like to do is crazy at all, since i have no desire to show off my exhaust.. at least not yet. i'd like to make power to the wheels before flaunting big rims, a kit, and a loud exhaust.

people on the accordv6 forum have complained about minimal gains with the comptech. i dont know of any one else could really meet my needs though (small diameter tip and quiet sounding muffler) Anyone have suggestions besides a custom setup? I know some people swap out the Type S exhausts on their Accord, but how much better is it than ours? can't be a whole lot!

anyone heard of BPM? They make a lot of products for the WRX and previously the 2.5 RS which i was into a lot. anyway, i was wondering whether or not you've heard what the exhaust sounds like, and it sounds pretty damn cool. has anyone had experience with the Twister Mkii or Mkiii exhaust? I wonder if a custom setup with these would be a good idea, i'm sure they'd be a bit loud though. I have a sound clip on a stock 2.5 RS if anyone wants to hear it.

http://www.bpmsports.com/products/mufflers/index.htm
You do get minimal gains with the CTs. All it is is just a change in the muffler (catback is the term if i am correct)...to get higher gains, you would need an entire switch out such as the greddy evo (which is an axle-back) which cost almost a grand. Check this out: http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=72167. Keep in mind that the larger of an exhaust opening you go, the more back pressure you lose, thus lost in low end torque...such as lou had mentioned in his post. The HKS super draggers are also just muffler and exhaust replacements with no full piping replacement. All your gonna get from switching out your exhaust is just a better sound...hp/tq gain is very minimal and sit around 1-2hp. If you really want power...go with CT headers. But beware...a lot of these mods will cost you low end torque.
Old 06-13-2002, 09:59 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by peiqinglong

You do get minimal gains with the CTs. All it is is just a change in the muffler (catback is the term if i am correct)...to get higher gains, you would need an entire switch out such as the greddy evo (which is an axle-back) which cost almost a grand. Check this out: http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=72167. Keep in mind that the larger of an exhaust opening you go, the more back pressure you lose, thus lost in low end torque...such as lou had mentioned in his post. The HKS super draggers are also just muffler and exhaust replacements with no full piping replacement. All your gonna get from switching out your exhaust is just a better sound...hp/tq gain is very minimal and sit around 1-2hp. If you really want power...go with CT headers. But beware...a lot of these mods will cost you low end torque.
I thought CT exhausts was axleback?!!
Old 06-14-2002, 01:22 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by BlackShadow

I thought CT exhausts was axleback?!!
I stand corrected. I always forget which one was the axleback and which one was the catback. Damn short term memory!