Microscopic scratches on hood, roof, trunk...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2002, 02:34 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Microscopic scratches on hood, roof, trunk...

I've just found that I have about a million tiny microscopic scratches on my hood, roof and trunk. I don't know where they come from, but they are all oriented front-to-back--that makes me think that I may have scratched it while polishing off my Zaino products (I always use front-to-back movements to polish my horizontal surfaces).

I've tried two coats of Z-5 with no real results. The scratches do not penetrate the clearcoat, so there's hope for polishing them off. What I'm more concerned with is how to keep them from coming back... Maybe I'm pressing way too hard when polishing.

And speaking of Zaino, could this be just the Zaino streaking or smearing? I've had pretty bad smearing on my window glass, and I wonder if there was a layer of Zaino under the other coats that have smeared and dried, and formed parallel channels that look like scratches? Anyone has had a similar experience?

Ugh, so many questions... I'm going to Dawn wash and clay the car again in the spring, then I'm going to examine the paint finish for scratches. If they're really in the clearcoat, I'll probably take it to a body shop to have the paint buffed.
Old 02-24-2002, 02:50 PM
Pro

Why are you looking at your car with a microscope anyway?
Old 02-24-2002, 04:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Dave, I have the same exact problem. Read my post HERE if you haven't already.

The scratches are caused by a lot of things:

1) What you wash the car with - I recommend only 100% cotton wash mitt

2) What you dry the car with - I have switched to an electric leaf blower so nothing touches the car when it's being dried

3) What you use to polish the car - MICROFIBER, nothing else

Botton line, the only thing that will truly get rid of those scratches is either an orbital or a rotary using some type of abrasive. It could be a easy as 3M Swirl Mark Remover, or could require something a little more abrasive.

After spending hours on detailing forums, I've come to the conclusion that it is just a fact of life, and that you can only do so much.
Old 02-24-2002, 04:22 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The crappy Acura paint only worsens the problem. Speaking for a black car, IMO, I think Zaino enhances the spiderwebbing and microscratches too much and creates a slight haze- there is no real clarity or depth of color, at least in full sun. But I will say, the way Zaino's highlights dance across the paint is like no other I've seen. I've been using Zaino for about a year and a half now but I think this next weekend I'm starting over with a PC machine polish and carnuba. Well, at least for the summer. Zaino does last a bit longer then carnuba. I think Zaino works best on lighter colored paints. To me, ablack car should not so much shine/reflect as it should soak up the light.
Old 02-24-2002, 10:39 PM
Drifting

NSX: Oh come on, admit it, you just want to show off your new Porter Cable polisher, now, don't you?

I wash my car with a lambswool mitt, and dry it with white cotton towels. I don't know if it is my washing or drying that causes the abrasion, because I use circular motions to perform both of those activities. The only time I use back-and-forth motion is when applying Zaino.

Plus there aren't any scratches on the sides of the car, even with bright sunlight reflecting on it. I may have pressed too hard on the horizontal surfaces (which is easy to do) during my first few polishing sessions and it just scraped it up.

Ah well. Maybe this summer I'll invest in some good body shop work, and get them to touch up all my dings, nicks and scratches as well. Then I'll start over with a Dawn wash and a claybar.
Old 02-25-2002, 11:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Re: Microscopic scratches on hood, roof, trunk...

Originally posted by daverman
I've just found that I have about a million tiny microscopic scratches on my hood, roof and trunk. I don't know where they come from, but they are all oriented front-to-back--that makes me think that I may have scratched it while polishing off my Zaino products (I always use front-to-back movements to polish my horizontal surfaces).
Been driving through some dust storms recently?

Seriously though, could be that you might have driven through some dust, or even snow, kicked up by another car or truck. Just a guess...

Tony
Old 02-25-2002, 11:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Daverman, what do you use to apply Zaino. Cotton or foam applicator pad. I've noticed I get far less abrasion from foam than cotton.

Maybe worth a try.
Old 02-25-2002, 02:16 PM
Racer

what do you all think about using a water blade? as long as it's clean it shouldn't scrath the surface should it? It's just a lot faster to use then white cloth towels
Old 02-25-2002, 04:20 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by medic
what do you all think about using a water blade? as long as it's clean it shouldn't scrath the surface should it? It's just a lot faster to use then white cloth towels
I love it, and it doesn't. At least not the silicone one with the T at the end.
Old 02-25-2002, 04:27 PM
Advanced

I've been running my car through a touchless car wash (on the cheap no-wax no air dry setting), using a water blade to get most of the water off and a microfiber towel to get the remainder off. Actually, after I put the Blackfire on car the drive home (about 1.5 miles at 40mph) seems to get most of the water off - I only have to blade the tail, the rest falls off on the way home.

I have a few microscopic scratches, but they are on the front of the hood and front fenders, so I suspect these are due to road debris. The rest of the car is not scratched with this regimen. And the car wash does seem to get the dirt off - when going over it with polish the cloth does not get dirty except when going into the wheel wells or under the car.
Old 02-25-2002, 04:28 PM
Senior Moderator

One of the best ways to dry your car is with a leaf blower. I bought a cheap one at Home Depot for about $35 and it works great. Gets the water out of all the little cracks.

Now that I have my paint surface close to perfect, nothing is gonna touch it if it doesn't have to.
Old 02-25-2002, 04:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Try that G-23 stuff. It is supposed to remove scratches (or cover them up really good!).
Old 02-25-2002, 04:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by LinuxRacr
Try that G-23 stuff. It is supposed to remove scratches (or cover them up really good!).
GS27 and no it sucks. Don't waste your money. 3M SMR is great for light scratches. 3M has a bunch of products to handle just about any scratch.
Old 02-25-2002, 05:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking

Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-05-2002, 03:14 PM
Intermediate

touch up paint?

are the touch up paint from acura ne good?
Old 03-05-2002, 03:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Re: touch up paint?

Originally posted by miroku
are the touch up paint from acura ne good?
The black touch-up paint is probably OK. If you want good touch-up paint, try http://www.paintscratch.com
Old 03-05-2002, 03:23 PM
Intermediate

touch up paint

does touch up paint look uniform to the rest of the car?? or is it like normal painting (wall) taht like...layers and look crappy

ooo i also always get these waterspots =( cuz i have to park in back yard cuz i have no garage!!! DARN DARN!!
Old 03-05-2002, 11:02 PM
Drifting

I just got my car back from the dealer's this afternoon (squeaky driver's front spring which disappeared as mysteriously as it appeared), and the service guy says, "sorry we didn't have time to wash your car today". Then it dawned on me--maybe they put the scratches on the car! They may have used a stiff brush to apply the soap on the car, and that may explain why only the top surfaces (hood, roof, trunk lid) are scratched!
Old 03-06-2002, 06:13 AM
Senior Moderator

UGH!!! Don't ever let the dealer wash your car. Never...never...never.

I once stopped at a Lexus dealer and saw a guy washing brand new cars with a push broom.