Microfiber towels.....A MUST HAVE....

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2001, 12:51 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Microfiber towels.....A MUST HAVE....

I finally had the chance this weekend to detail my TL. It looks awesome! I will be putting some pics online at some point. Anyway, I wanted to tell everyone that they must get some microfiber towels for the next time they wax their car! They are the MOST amazing thing. I bought some exterior microfiber towels from www.autodetail.com and they are truly amazing. They make removing wax so much easier, and you don't get any residue left on the car. They are also great for the final wipe down to pickup any dust or leftover wax on the car. They are definitely worth the little extra $$.
There are different levels of quality, and these were quite good. I saw some in Sears and you can tell a big difference between them. Also, I clayed my car for the first time, and that stuff is AWESOME! I have a 2000 WDP and it picked up every last bit of dirt on the car. It was the first time I ever applied wax to a car and didn't have any black residue on the applicator. The clay picked up every bit of dirt on the paint. I just wanted to share these things with everyone, and highly recommend the microfiber towels and the clay process!

------------------
2000 White Diamond Pearl
  • Navigation
  • Factory Spoiler
  • Burlwood Shifter
  • Gold Kit
  • Viper 550ESP Remote Start
  • K40 Undetectable Radar
  • PIAA Plasma Hi-Beams
Old 04-16-2001, 01:14 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also clay bared my car this weekend to get rid of the rail dust that I had on my hood. This stuff works great!!! The body is soooo smooth now!! I then waxed it to put back the coat I took off with the clay.
I didn't use a micro fibre cloth but maybe I will next time.

Also, I had a chance to use the Meguiar's tire dressing that comes in a lotion with an applicator. That thing is the shizznit!! No splatter like the spray and it is nice and shiny. I recommend this over any spray product out there.
Old 04-16-2001, 01:19 PM
Instructor

I agree those towels are awesome . Heard about them on the autopia detailing forum and decided to try them out. They are not that big but very effective.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver TL
- Factory Rear Wing
- Factory Body Kit
- Factory Wood Kit
- Burlwood Shift Knob
Old 04-16-2001, 01:20 PM
Instructor

Yes, I forgot to mention that. I also used endurance from Meguiars....that stuff is great. I have been using Meguiars #40 Vinyl\Rubber for years, and it looks great, until you drive the car, and then it's gone!
Endurance is awesome...we'll see how it holds up in the rain tomorrow....after claying, polish, wax the paint is smoother than a baby's butt!!
Old 04-16-2001, 04:31 PM

cool, i wanted to buy some, but i had already spent sooooo much on detailing. guess this will be the absolute last thing i'll buy. course thats what i sed last time when i bought zaino but clay came after, then lexol...
Old 04-16-2001, 04:40 PM
j83
Pro

lol!
Old 04-16-2001, 06:09 PM
Pro

Hey guys, i need help with cleaning/detailing my car. I think the Htown guys can vouch for that. I have wax residue left over. I'm no good at detailing/washing myself. i used to get it done from Mister Car wash but found out they use harsh chemicals.

My finish is excellent once it is cleaned properly, I don't need anything major, so please tell me how often should i wash how often wax, and what should i use? I don't want to spend too much. I have been using Meguiars Gold Class for wax. I heard its good. for soap i have used mild dish washing soap like the manual says. how do you dry your cars? I use old towels, is this okay? And what is clay? shoudl i use it? Thanks in advance

peace
Old 04-16-2001, 06:46 PM
Instructor

Check out the detailing forum over at www.autopia-carcare.com. I've learned so much from those people.

Originally posted by Pimpin_TL:
Hey guys, i need help with cleaning/detailing my car. I think the Htown guys can vouch for that. I have wax residue left over. I'm no good at detailing/washing myself. i used to get it done from Mister Car wash but found out they use harsh chemicals.

My finish is excellent once it is cleaned properly, I don't need anything major, so please tell me how often should i wash how often wax, and what should i use? I don't want to spend too much. I have been using Meguiars Gold Class for wax. I heard its good. for soap i have used mild dish washing soap like the manual says. how do you dry your cars? I use old towels, is this okay? And what is clay? shoudl i use it? Thanks in advance

peace
Old 04-16-2001, 06:59 PM

Hey dhruv, since I saw your car, I think I can best tell you what your paint needs done. First off, you shouldnt wash with dishwashing liquid. That stuff will take off the wax that you put on the car. That's why it is recommended that you use dishwashing liquid before waxing your car, so that all the old wax can be stripped off. Although most any carwash liquid will do, I just go ahead and buy the meguiars stuff cuz I can trust their crap. As far as drying, use 100% cotton towels, hell my bath towels are crappier than my car drying towels. Or get some of this microfiber stuff. I will be soon, and then will be able to vouch for it. Anyways, when I saw your paint, I noticed how the black didnt have the same luster as VISION's car. Granted he probly washed his more recently, but I could tell your car was showing more signs of wear. What you need to do first is clay your car autopia carcare clay tips. I bought some meguiars clay for 10bucks at autozone and it came with some lube spray too. Then you can take either two paths: polish it, then wax it..or just use zaino. I use zaino...I can hook you up with some of it so you can try it if you want. This shits pretty badass. I used to use meguiar's gold class that youre using now, but I switched over and can tell a nice difference.
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/faq.html
for some detailing tips.
Old 04-17-2001, 12:26 AM
Pro

Thanks for the tips danny, I will try this clay then polish then wax routine. When i got my car from acura not too long ago the finish was so damn nice, now its gotten bad. I dunno if its been the weather or what it has been raining off and on. HOw often do you wash? What is Zaino, and where do i get it?

later man

PS: I"m gonna try to see if insurance will cover those dents. I didn't want to go that route cuz i just totalled my prelude a little while ago, but i'll see if they can cover it without raising the premium.
Old 04-17-2001, 01:20 AM

www.zainobros.com

I wash my crap usually every weekend. If not, the weekend afterwards. Doing this also prolongs the life of the wax I feel. The houston heat is probably to blame. If your stuff dont got wax on it, it'll beat up your paintjob.

Oh yeh, forgot to mention you shouldnt wash in circular motions. Go back and forth on the top portions of the car, and up and down on the sides. helps to avoid the spiderweb effect.

regarding your dent, wouldnt you have to pay the deductible whatever it is, and then the insurance does the rest? i would think the deductible would pay for most of that damage right? how much was the estimate again?
Old 04-17-2001, 07:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Bought the NicSand brand microfibre polishing cloth. You're right, it works really well. Takes off Zaino really well.

Washes up nice too in the washing machine.
Old 04-17-2001, 08:35 AM
Instructor

I've never tried Zaino...yet.
I clayed, then used Meguiars Show Car Glaze, then Meguiars #26 Yellow Wax. I know there is probably a better wax then the #26, but I have been using the meguiars wax for so long that I am hesitant to change. For drying the car after a wash, I would recommend a chamois, I use the synthetic one in the plastic container...can't think of the name of it right now. But, I would think there is more chance of scratching the car even with really good towels. I guess there are a few different levels of microfiber towels. There is a waxing\buffing one, which is the best quality. Then there is a towel that is for cleaning the interior, which is middle grade. Then there is another one for windows, which I think is the lowest quality towel. I have the waxing\buffing and interior towels. Didn't bother with the window towel since I have a bunch of regular window towels already that work really well.
Old 04-17-2001, 09:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally posted by swhtech:
For drying the car after a wash, I would recommend a chamois, I use the synthetic one in the plastic container...can't think of the name of it right now.
The Absorber

Sounds like a comic book hero.
Old 04-17-2001, 10:03 AM
Instructor

YES....LOL
I have two of them so that if one gets dirty, I can switch to the other without scratching the hell out of the paint!
Old 04-17-2001, 02:51 PM
Pro

I got an estimate at 250, but the problem is i really want to avoid getting a new paint job esp since there isn't a chip. Just a dent. The other option i have is paintless dent repair, and that is cheaper, around 150, but the guy said there are no guarantees it will be perfect because the dent occurred along the lines on the side of our car. One ray of hope is the company with the paintless dent repair says they are used by Porsche and Ferrari dealership here in Houston. They have pictures of a 911 they did. I'm sure if they trust them to do those cars, that i can trust them as well. I think my deductible is 500 dollar, so i'll have to eat the cost.
Old 04-17-2001, 02:53 PM

that sucks, its like a pair of taillights right there if you get the repair done. But I'm sure it sucks walking to your door everyday and having to see that. Maybe if it were on the passenger side, hehe.
Old 04-17-2001, 03:07 PM
Pro

Yeah, it sucks, but i have decided it needs to get done, so i'll go sometime after my Parks final which is in about a week and a half. I don't want to worry about this right now too much, i have other things to worry about.

------------------
'99 3.2 TL

Black/Black
Burlwood Shift Knob
Bodykit
Spoiler
Tint