May have figured out my squeaky suspension problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 02:10 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
May have figured out my squeaky suspension problem

Today I jacked up my front driverside wheel to take a look at the BJ boot and when I raised the car up I heard a hissing sound. I noticed it was coming from my new shock (tokico blues). I lowered the car back down and heard the sound again. When I push on that side of the car you can hear a creeking sound. I jacked up the other corners to check them as well and no sound was heard at all. No creeking when pushing on the other three corners. What I initially thought was bad lower ball joints can now be attributed to a friggin blown shock. This sound has been occuring for over a month now and that would mean the shock was probably a defect. Does Tokico offer a warranty? I bought the shocks off of eBay from a Powerseller, would that make any difference if there is a warranty? Also would a blown shock create a rattling sound too?
Old 03-16-2008, 06:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tokico makes some good shit, so im pretty sure that when they hear you have a bad shock they will gladly send you a new one. contact their customer service.

BUT, make sure it is the shock itself, you don't want to make yourself look like a complete moron hahaha.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:32 PM
I need 2 more gears

I'm hoping so, I'm sending them an email now.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:35 PM
Low and Slow

I'm pertty sure you get a warranty from ebay still. Straight from Tokico.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:42 PM
I need 2 more gears

anyone know tokico's customer service email address? I'm looking on their site and not having any luck.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:43 PM
Advanced

I had a squeaky suspension for a little while until this past Thursday. Try spraying white lithium grease in your different pivot points in your suspension, i.e., control arms, tie rod ends, etc. That did the job for me. You may also be getting the squeaking because of where you're at. My car has always been in warm weather up until I moved here to NY. Ever since the cold hit, I've gotten weird squeaks and creaks. Just my
Old 03-16-2008, 10:08 PM
I need 2 more gears

I wouldn't disagree right away, but when I jacked my car up I could hear the shock leaking air.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
You are going to have to contact the seller you bought them from for the warranty with TOKICO.

However, before you assume it's a shock you should visually inspect the shock. Is there any fluid around where the shaft enters the body of the shock. That will indicate a blow shock.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
to elaborate on what ~I think~ Josh's post above meant:
Inside the shock is an O ring system that seals/seperates the oil from the gas or air- thats what allows the pressure movement and shock absorber to function.
Its similar to any hydraulic system in that way- like brake master cylinder or calipers are.
In most cases- if that seal is torn or damaged or worn, oil is going to be pushed up and out
where it can be found on the shock tube. Some shocks have bleed hole for just this event, so the oil comes out, you look at the shock and see the distinct marking of oil or fresh dirt on the shock tube~
Thats one way mechanics check the shocks quickly, on a look-over of the car.
No leaks anywhere- ok

Anything made on Earth may have an occassional bad part, or part installed wrong in assembly.
Its also possible (not saying anyone here did this) that during install, visegrips or similar tool is used on the shaft to hold it while tightening. Any nicks, scratches or the like will damage the seal. Add a lowered car to that, pushing the shock shaft farther in its travel...anything could happen
Check it visually and with an absorbant cloth- you know the rest!
Old 03-17-2008, 07:03 PM
I need 2 more gears

there was oil present for sure. It is blown. If it wasn't then why would it make a hissing sound when I jacked up the car and again when I lowered it. There wasn't much oil, but there was some there and little under the shock on the suspension as well. To top it off my car handles a little sloppy now. When they first where installed everything felt nice and tight, shortly thereafter it started feeling loose.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:57 PM
Team Owner

I am used to all the gas leaking out, just not the sound you are hearing.
We needed to be assured it wasnt the sound of wind whislting thru your ears....
Old 03-17-2008, 09:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have jacked one side of my car same side several times and now the opposite side creaks when I PUSH down on that side. I have the strut bar off so maybe its just because three nuts are not screwed in but I doubt it. Is your noise like a noisy mattress?
Old 03-18-2008, 08:32 PM
I need 2 more gears

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
I am used to all the gas leaking out, just not the sound you are hearing.
We needed to be assured it wasnt the sound of wind whislting thru your ears....

C'mon, no need to be like that. If you took my previous post as being flippant it wasn't intended to be in the least. In regards to the sound of all the gas leaking out are you referring to hearing that sound when a shock is leaking or not leaking? would it be normal for some oil to seep out of a new shock?
Old 03-18-2008, 10:58 PM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by sbuswell
there was oil present for sure. It is blown. If it wasn't then why would it make a hissing sound when I jacked up the car and again when I lowered it. There wasn't much oil, but there was some there and little under the shock on the suspension as well. To top it off my car handles a little sloppy now. When they first where installed everything felt nice and tight, shortly thereafter it started feeling loose.

From your explanation, it is the shock for sure. You hear the hissing because the shock does not extend itself, rather it is being stretch by the spring when jacking up the car. However, many members the same issue but turned out to be lower balljoin, so make certain when you replace any part, it is the bad part.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:00 PM
I need 2 more gears

well I bought one new front shock as ebay seller never responded after sending several messages thru email and ebay and posting nuetral feedback(should have posted negative, but I thought they'd respond). I haven't had it installed yet as I got it Friday and had a busy weekend planned. Well today I rotated my tires and come to find out my other front shock is totally blown too!!!!!!! There was suspension fluid everywhere like the fucking thing exploded. The same hissing sound was heard when I jacked the car up. Unbelievable!!! Are Tokico shocks junk or did the one blown shock somehow stress the shock on the other side of the car and cause it to blow too? To top that off both lower BJ boots are torn.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:18 PM
I need 2 more gears

Will bad ball joints cause your shocks to blow quickly?
Old 04-20-2008, 03:54 PM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Did you hit a deep pothole or anything like that in the last 2 months?
Old 04-20-2008, 05:59 PM
I need 2 more gears

yeah I hit them all the time here. The roads suck.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:19 PM
Team Owner

call Tokiko and see if A- you have genuine shocks
and B- will they help you out after you have tried the seller wih no luck.
Its odd to have them fail like that- but they could be like acura replacement tranmissions- sometimes a bad set of parts gets used or seal installed backwards or....
Old 05-21-2008, 07:25 PM
I need 2 more gears

I got two new shocks installed last Friday along with two new Moog Problem Solver lower ball joints. No more squeaking, no more sloppy handling. Nice and tight and firm suspension now. Next I need the Cusco lower brace to really tighten her up. I still have that damn rattling sound when going over bumps though. It metallic sounding and I'm pretty sure its coming from my brake slides. Any suggestions on some good caliper grease and direction of where to grease and where not to (aside from the rotor and front of the pad of course).